Heritage Owners Club

Orange Amps

Hey guys, I was at a camp a couple weeks ago that was sponsered by Orange Amplifiers and was wondering what your opinion of them is. From what I saw and heard they were great amps ( I like how much tone choice you have without having a million knobs) and they really held up to a bunch of teenagers jamming on them!

Orange amps not only sound good, they also provide important nutrients like vitamin C and beta-Carotene.

I've never owned one, but I love how they sound. They are on my wish list for amps...

Orange amps not only sound good, they also provide important nutrients like vitamin C and beta-Carotene.

I've never owned one, but I love how they sound. They are on my wish list for amps...

LOL!!

+1 on the Tiny Terror. One of the great recording amps of all time.

Back in the 70's I was a fan of Wishbone Ash and bought an OR120 head because they used them. It was a great sounding amp but the lack of a master volume and the fact that it was probably the loudest amp I've ever owned, led me to sell it and buy an AC30. I often think how good that amp would sound with a Hotplate..... (sniff!) :(

I like Orange (I've played pretty much all of the newer models) but I prefer Marshalls...simple as that.

Of the new Oranges I find the Dual Terror to be by far the best. Good clean sound and killer raunch.

I can't wait to try out a Dark Terror.

• 3 months later...

If only I can get over the fact I recently found out their made in China...

better get over it. everything's made in China. Some good stuff coming out of Indonesia, too, very cheap.

better get over it. everything's made in China. Some good stuff coming out of Indonesia, too, very cheap.

I know.... The Chinese stuff keeps improving, as does their quality of life... In the next 10 years their middle class will force production somewhere else, hopefully back here....

I resent buying Chinese.

Orange Amps were British. If you want the quality and build of an Orange amp, British built with point to point hand wiring, and sound and build quality that will compete with ANY USA boutique built amp at half the price, then look at Matamp amplifiers. You have probably never heard of them, but most of what they build goes to the USA. Any one I know who has played through one of these has been astounded, myself included.

I resent buying Chinese.

Why?

As an economy, their time has come. They're strong and can dictate, to an extent, what happens to their interests in the world. They have a lower cost base than most of the industrialised nations of the world plus the infrastructure, management and distribution capabilities to take advantage of that. The only thing they seem to lack in any large amount is innovation; they are good at building other's products though.

The UK, USA and many others have had their times in the past and made the best of them. It's someone else's turn now. Empires rise and empires fall...

Archived