Heritage Owners Club

150 Special vs h-150

602a

Don't know about the thickness but the entire body is poplar with no maple cap. If I remember correctly Brent had a black 150P that was stripped to bare wood before being refinished, so there should be photos on the forum.

Thanks that I needed to know

Don't know about the thickness but the entire body is poplar with no maple cap. If I remember correctly Brent had a black 150P that was stripped to bare wood before being refinished, so there should be photos on the forum.

That's got to have a real snappy tone to it I'd imagine, not a lot of low end either with no mohagany on it...

The body is thinner and is listed in the specs as "hardwood". Don't know if it's always the same wood or not. Would be a good question for the Heritage guys. The neck is mahogany. Mine had a maple top on it and had some nice figure but not much flame. I've seen others with very nice flame. Great guitars, and lighter due to the thinner body.

Isn't the "Special" different from the "P" model? The Special being the boys one foray into an entry level guitar? Where the "P" is strictly Poplar?

Kenny is correct. The H-150P, and H-150 Special are two different models. I think they share the same body size specs.

I'm looking at Prism's 150sp he has for sale. Top looks like regular 150 to me

That's an H150CM SP = Curly Maple, Special. And is one sweet guitar. Dots instead of traps/blocks. Yeah, baby!! :thumbsup:

Yep, the "SP" will have a maple cap while the "P" model is strictly poplar through and through. The SP and P models also use dot position markers on the fret board. Not sure if the SP sports a bound headstock. I know the P doesn't.,

The common wisdom is that poplar bodied guitars sound a lot like mahogany. So, since the "SP" is also maple capped, I'd expect it would sound a great deal like the H150CM.

I have an H150P. The tone isn't as crisp as my other maple capped guitars, but I really like the sound. It's also much lighter due to the slightly thinner body and lower density of poplar. A very comfortable guitar to play.

Just to add some more information, my goldtop is a 150 Special and has a maple cap over what I assume is poplar (too light in colour to be mahogany). It's the same size as regular 150, apart from being thinner and therefore lighter. I swapped the Schallers for P-Rails which makes it a very versatile guitar.

Archived