Heritage Owners Club

Head into Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

koula901

Some of you may already know that when I go to band practice, the house amp that I have access to is the HRD. I happen to not like it. Was wondering if I could plug in my 5 watt Epi Valve Jr head, into the HRD?? Is that even possible and workable?

Absolutely! You can either use the Epi as a preamp to the HRD

I don't think you can, since there doesn't seem to be a preamp out from the Epi, and I don't think it would be a good idea to plug the speaker output (from the power amp) into the input of the HRD!

or you can unplug the speaker from the HRD and plug it into the Epi.

That would seem to be the better option.

I don't think you can, since there doesn't seem to be a preamp out from the Epi, and I don't think it would be a good idea to plug the speaker output (from the power amp) into the input of the HRD!

This is correct, unless you have have a combination load/line-out box such as the THD Hot Plate DO NOT try to plug the output of one amp into the input of another, whether the receiving amp is taking it in the front or the loop, it doesn't matter. The input of an amp needs an instrument level signal, the loop of an amp needs a line level signal, and only speakers or specially designed loads (such as the Hot Plate) should be connected to the speaker outputs.

Katy, WHAT don't you like about the HRD? The cleans on these are great, in my opinion. The "gain" and "more gain" are a joke, but I would think the easier option for a grittier sound would be an overdrive or distortion pedal in front of the amp. As always, and I need to take my own advice, when it comes to gain, "less is more." When in doubt, listen to Yoslate solo..... :laughing5:

Hi Katy,

just do it. Connect the HRD speaker plug into the speaker outlet of your Epi. Bet you likey better. I personally can't stand anything but the clean channel on a Fender HRD.

...and...sometimes being somewhat predictable, you know what I'm gonna say next... ;)

Boutique amps for boutique guitars! :laughing9:

Peace.

Katy, WHAT don't you like about the HRD? The cleans on these are great, in my opinion. The "gain" and "more gain" are a joke, but I would think the easier option for a grittier sound would be an overdrive or distortion pedal in front of the amp. As always, and I need to take my own advice, when it comes to gain, "less is more." When in doubt, listen to Yoslate solo..... :laughing5:

they sound like sh*t

Hi Katy,

just do it. Connect the HRD speaker plug into the speaker outlet of your Epi. Bet you likey better. I personally can't stand anything but the clean channel on a Fender HRD.

...and...sometimes being somewhat predictable, you know what I'm gonna say next... ;)

Boutique amps for boutique guitars! :laughing9:

Peace.

in due time, and it's going to be the Two Rock Gainmaster

they sound like sh*t

The Hot Rod Deluxe and me??? Ouch!

I'm with you Katy, on the HRD. Bought one on a whim, once. Spent about four days with it. I've never turned an amp around so fast, even after tempering it a bit with AT's instead of AX's. Unbelievably brittle sounding overdrive! I think Mavguy has your answer.... Both of them!

You are right! Sorry, I was thinking of the mod options from BitMo.

The Hot Rod Deluxe and me??? Ouch!

I'm with you Katy, on the HRD. Bought one on a whim, once. Spent about four days with it. I've never turned an amp around so fast, even after tempering it a bit with AT's instead of AX's. Unbelievably brittle sounding overdrive! I think Mavguy has your answer.... Both of them!

yes- that's what I was hearing tonight: brittle, is the word.

I've heard the older HRD and they are not the greatest. However, the new HRD III really sounds good to me. They changed a couple of things and I believe the tone has improved greatly.

I've heard the older HRD and they are not the greatest. However, the new HRD III really sounds good to me. They changed a couple of things and I believe the tone has improved greatly.

Yes, I heard they were changing the circuit on the old HRD, and that the new ones are an improvement.

Archived