Heritage Owners Club

New Mesa Mini-Recto 25

GuitArtMan

I tried one Mesa lunchbox....what a PILE! My housemate and I spent 15+ minutes just trying to get ONE decent tone out of it and got...nothing. A million knobs, bizarre layout, WAY overpriced and just plain BAD sounding. A few minutes earlier we'd tried out an Orange Dual Terror. We had it rocking within 2 seconds flat. Turned it on and started playing: great tone.

I just don't understand Mesa amps...they're like PRS: tons of cash, no soul.

I tried one Mesa lunchbox....what a PILE! My housemate and I spent 15+ minutes just trying to get ONE decent tone out of it and got...nothing. A million knobs, bizarre layout, WAY overpriced and just plain BAD sounding. A few minutes earlier we'd tried out an Orange Dual Terror. We had it rocking within 2 seconds flat. Turned it on and started playing: great tone.

What amp was that???

I dont have the same problem with Mesa's others seem to and I know Im not alone. I find them pretty much plug in and go. Great sounding amps.

User error is usually the primary reason for some one failing to get a good sound out of one. The other reason is its just not the amp for you.

Interesting about the PRS as well...I really like them. But then I maybe have the scales weighted on the soulless side.

I dont think guitars have souls... An amp with a soul is a huge stretch for my imagination.

This lunchbox looks very interesting. I like small, light, the price is right, and would look forward to hearing one as soon as it comes to my local GC. As with jjkrause84, I don't tend to like complication. Would be interesting to hear some sound clips, if anyone has a link to any.

I had one of the orignal Dual Rectifiers back in the early '90s and it was one of the best amps I ever owned. It's too bad they got associated with the drop tuned knuckle dragging neanderthal new-maetal-heads as there were some great vintage tones in the amp. If the mini recto can grok that tone in a light weight portable package I'll be all over it.

As for Mesa amps being hard to dial in - rtfm.

I'm rocking the Mesa TA every weekend ... well, nearly every weekend. And love it! I also loved the Mesa Dual Rec my drummer had a few years back. Rocked that baby on the Pushed and Vintage side -- Marshall all the way. Never cared for the Recto side, tho'. I may have to give this Mini a try. Not that bad for the $$'s. And a mini-slant cab to go with it. Ha!!

I ordered one this morning. Just the head.

Im thinking I will get the TA and a head switcher as well.

It wont show up for a while, about the same tine as my timmy stomp, so I will just call it xmas over and done with.

Andy Marshall really started a tidal wave in mini heads when he came out with the hand-wired THD Univalve. Although after hearing most of the mini's out there I'm going to stick with my Univalve. IMO It has set a standard the others just haven't met yet, let alone exceeded.

Loved the THD's I've gotten to play. Andy really came up with something when he did the Uni's .... how many years ago? But, like our dear 'zoo boys, he's not really done much in the way of advertisement to go head to head with the latest surge of lunchbox amps; or did I just miss it?. Orange, Vox, Mesa, Carvin, Crate, Epi, etc .... oops, where's THD in all this? Honestly, forgot all about them. Which is a shame. THD did it first and did it right - swappable tube(s), on-board attenuator, cool looks.

Andy Marshall really started a tidal wave in mini heads when he came out with the hand-wired THD Univalve. Although after hearing most of the mini's out there I'm going to stick with my Univalve. IMO It has set a standard the others just haven't met yet, let alone exceeded.

Not really the same thing imho. The UniValve, BiValve weighed are pretty substantial in both size and weight. This thing weighs in at a svelt 12 lbs.

Archived