Heritage Owners Club

koula901

Trouble,

I guess I'm still trying to find my voice - at the moment I have two: Marshally, and Dumble style, Fender for cleans. At the moment, not gigging, using 5 watt Epi Jr at home, and a fender HRD at the practice space. I do, however, have a very good pedal board that I'm very happy with. This is a work in progress, I don't expect to buy any amp for a couple of years, so, I have time to do my research. I'm just noticing that my tastes change every now and then, but I think you're right, pick a pretty good amp, and learn how to dial in the different sounds.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if I could only use one amp on a budget, I'd get an old vintage Traynor bassmaster for <$500, paired with a 2x12 cab loaded with decent speakers & stick a pedal in front of it

they are quite similar to an early jtm45, and sound fantastic.....jimi hendrix never used one though, so no one wants them :D

Trouble,

I guess I'm still trying to find my voice - at the moment I have two: Marshally, and Dumble style, Fender for cleans. At the moment, not gigging, using 5 watt Epi Jr at home, and a fender HRD at the practice space. I do, however, have a very good pedal board that I'm very happy with. This is a work in progress, I don't expect to buy any amp for a couple of years, so, I have time to do my research. I'm just noticing that my tastes change every now and then, but I think you're right, pick a pretty good amp, and learn how to dial in the different sounds.

I think we all fall under that problem Katie! I really like the different tones for different songs and sometimes I feel my gear just isn't cutting it. Then I realize I too have champagne taste on a beer budget (my step dad's favorite expression for me). I really think a decent multieffects is what I need, but I cannot get myself to buy one again. I've gone through two Digitech's (RP350 & RP500) and a Boss ME25, I can never get a tone out of them I like. Just not as warm as a pure analog circuit going through a tube amp. Currently I have a Line 6 Pocket Pod, which I typically use for quiet practice. I tried it once in front of the Valveking and the RD, both times it sounded like POO. A friend uses a Line 6 XD PRO and loves it, but is talking about replacing it with an iPad.

Detroit,

I believe Traynor are full tube amps - it's an old brand that was out at least as far back as the '60s. Get's a nice, fat bluesy distortion, and, if what I heard was correct, it's either based on, or has a similar circuit to the bassman.

On another matter, I tortured myself over the weekend and tried out an AC15 with a cheap tele, at GC. Oh, what a tone!! I know the AC15 is described as a 'chimey' amp - and it was, but it also fattened up the sound of the tele - unless I've forgotten what teles sound like, now, I've got to have a tele again.

I've played an AC15 and there is nothing wrong with them either... But just like a lot of amps out there, some just don't justify the price. The newer Vox models are not much different than the Peavey Valveking or the Jet City amps. They're all PCB board amps now. To me, it seems like the companies are trying to maximize their profit on a name brand rather than a quality built amp. I even thought the Bugera V22 has some great tone too. (Just a huge reliability issue). The Marshall Haze sounds good too, but again, PCB board. Unless your willing to pay $1500 or more for a hand wired amp, we're stuck with these high price cheaply built amps.

This is how I finally came to deal the G.A.S. ;

Ultra.jpg

I use my Axe-Fx 100% of the time for recording and I guarantee you can tell the difference from a tube amp.

Also because of the connivence of plugging in the Axe-Fx, no pedals needed, just cable and guitar, I play the Axe-Fx about 85% of the time for home practice.

But for playing live, I prefer my tube amps.

I use my Axe-Fx 100% of the time for recording and I guarantee you can tell the difference from a tube amp.

Do you mean you can't tell the difference?

No, if it's dialed in properly you can't.

I think there are many solid state amps out there that can be set up to sound like tube amps. For instance, does anyone remember that Albert King with his monster tone and chops, actually played through a solid state acoustic amp?

Archived