Heritage Owners Club

Pedals, Chorus and vibe

koula901

Hi Guys,

Revamping my mini board. Have a great sounding Dano Cool Cat chorus, but it's big - by today's standards, heavy, and it's 18 volts. I'm looking for a smaller chorus, no larger than a standard Boss pedal, or smaller, with a decent sound.

OR - a Vibe pedal, which can be used both as a vibe, or a chorus, with similar standard foot print - I don't want anything big. This is all going to fit on my mini board. This would be the best option, as I'd have a two-for-one pedal.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Guest HRB853370

Hi Guys,

Revamping my mini board. Have a great sounding Dano Cool Cat chorus, but it's big - by today's standards, heavy, and it's 18 volts. I'm looking for a smaller chorus, no larger than a standard Boss pedal, or smaller, with a decent sound.

OR - a Vibe pedal, which can be used both as a vibe, or a chorus, with similar standard foot print - I don't want anything big. This is all going to fit on my mini board. This would be the best option, as I'd have a two-for-one pedal.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Thats cool. I am looking towards just playing it straight through, nothing but my guitar, cable and amp. The new Delta has a nice reverb, trem and an overdrive channel too. Thats really all I need.

If you're looking for something small and compact and the ability to have trem and chorus you might want to check out the BYOC chorus.

http://www.buildyour...com/chorus.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3wvx0eEXYk

I bought an HBE chorus a couple of years ago and I have to say the BYOC is better, much easier to find a sound. The HBE is good at weird chorus sounds, the BYOC is not as tweakable but a lot easier to find a pleasing sound with.

There are other chorus pedals like the analogman which is also great, my favourite, but it cost a lot more and the pedal is also bigger.

Kenny, I actually have one, whose sound I really like - it's very lush sounding, but it's rather heavy and uses 18 volt - believe it or not, its a Danelectro - but very sturdy, in a metal case. PM me if interested.

Don't know why musicians adulterate their sound and tone with pedals a/k/a/ stompboxes in the first place...

Slammer, if your band is doing cover tunes, and you're trying to approximate the same sound, then you need the pedal. And, for those of us without a fancy/nice/expensive amp, we sometimes compensate by buying good dirt pedals, etc.

Guest HRB853370

Slammer, if your band is doing cover tunes, and you're trying to approximate the same sound, then you need the pedal. And, for those of us without a fancy/nice/expensive amp, we sometimes compensate by buying good dirt pedals, etc.

Now I feel bad!

I dunno....did Hendrix "adulterate" his sound with wah, fuzz and vibe? Gilmour? How about reverb in country and blues? Chorus in the 80s, etc. etc.

The whole "purest" thing is just silly when you stop to think about it. Heck, your amp has reverb AND trem! Are they adulterations? If not, that is presumably because they are part of the amp, right? does that mean that a delay and a phaser are adulterations if they're in pedal form but NOT if they come direct from a modelling amp?

i use a maxon chorus and it sounds really good, pretty simple to use about the same footprint as a boss. I like it but it will start to clip with hot pups so probably will buy something different if I ever have to replace it. I used it a lot with the old band but that was primarily country, doubt I'll use it much now.

I think you have the right idea though, small, simple and good sounding is what you want. If you can afford the real estate and the price tag, Strymon sells some amazing pedals, They have both a chorus and a trem.

There are smaller good pedals though, just do some research and demo when you can.

I have an MXR M148 Micro Chorus http://www.jimdunlop...48-micro-chorus. It's small footprint and sounds good, but I don't ever use it. Chorus just isn't my thing. It's analog and true bypass. It's also brand new in the box (with warranty card) and has been sitting in my closet for a year unused. Check out some YouTube demos and if you're interested I'll cut you a great deal.

- Rob

If you are looking for a chorus the size of a boss the TC Toneprint series makes some nice pedals that sound nice and are true bypass. Its called the Corona chorus. Also, Malekko makes an analog chorus, part of their Omicron pedal, that are about half the footprint of a boss.

http://proguitarshop.com/malekko-analog-chorus.html

I definitely think the best sounding chorus pedals are larger. I like the Wampler Nirvana chorus a lot too. Its has a nice subtle tone.

If you are looking for a chorus the size of a boss the TC Toneprint series makes some nice pedals that sound nice and are true bypass. Its called the Corona chorus. Also, Malekko makes an analog chorus, part of their Omicron pedal, that are about half the footprint of a boss.

http://proguitarshop...log-chorus.html

I definitely think the best sounding chorus pedals are larger. I like the Wampler Nirvana chorus a lot too. Its has a nice subtle tone.

Yes, I'm coming to the conclusion that the larger-sound pedals seem to sound better too. I looked at Lovepedal and Malekko - not sure about those. Maybe it's the voltage? My dano cool cat sounds pretty good, but it's a pain to bring the 18 V power supply.

thanks for all the suggestions guys - I'll be sure to check them out. the dano cool cat is on the board, right now, but I will always be on the hunt to replace it with something smaller, if it can sound as good. cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Thats cool. I am looking towards just playing it straight through, nothing but my guitar, cable and amp. The new Delta has a nice reverb, trem and an overdrive channel too. Thats really all I need.

That's pretty much what I'm doing with my C-30..But I do crave a nice chorus sometimes for rhythm work.. :icon_rendeer: Especially when I'm picking individual notes..

It's all about matching the tone to the song, sometime you need em, sometimes you don't

BINGO!!!

Did you ever look into these? Probably the smallest pedals I've ever seen...

http://www.modtone-e...Mod-Chorus.html

MM_Chorus.jpg

By now you know that I've ordered the MythFx Tritone, which does not only chorus, but tremolo, phaser, flanger a few of those mixed with reverb. Actually, got it yesterday, haven't had chance yet to hook it up.

By now you know that I've ordered the MythFx Tritone, which does not only chorus, but tremolo, phaser, flanger a few of those mixed with reverb. Actually, got it yesterday, haven't had chance yet to hook it up.

But you're like Brent only with pedals. You use it for a while then its time for something else! :P

Archived