Heritage Owners Club

Let me start by saying this was not a well thought out rational purchase. I'd pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm a Fender amp kind of guy, beautiful, reverb-y clean to gritty overdrive kind of guy. I'd also realized that my dreams of needing high powered amps for my arena gigs was probably never going to happen, too, thereby making my 15-30 watt tube combos MORE than worthy enough to supply the power. Then....

I was checking out what was new in the same seedy pawnshop in Peoria where I picked up my Ibanez Acoustic Electric, and was pleased to find 2 Fender Super Champ XDs, $200 each, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (priced nice, I know, I know some of you hate them), but I already have a Super Champ, and I didn't need another Fender-y amp. Then down the row, I saw this.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/schundog/HeritageDowntown079.jpg[/img]"]http://HeritageDowntown079.jpg

Marshall JCM 2000, TSL122. I warmed it up, played a little through it, and got ready to leave, as, while it was interesting, I had no intention of paying the $499 on the tag. For kicks, I asked the guy what he'd take. He knows me, and knows I'll walk out with the item if he shoots me a good enough price, so he says "$380 out the door, no tax." I figured I can flip it if/when I realize it's COMPLETE overkill for the basement jams, but for now, I'm going to have a little bit of fun with it. I'd never had a "real" Marshall, just a hybrid one with a tube preamp. I guess I can cross THAT off of the bucket list now!

Guest HRB853370

Let me start by saying this was not a well thought out rational purchase. I'd pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm a Fender amp kind of guy, beautiful, reverb-y clean to gritty overdrive kind of guy. I'd also realized that my dreams of needing high powered amps for my arena gigs was probably never going to happen, too, thereby making my 15-30 watt tube combos MORE than worthy enough to supply the power. Then....

I was checking out what was new in the same seedy pawnshop in Peoria where I picked up my Ibanez Acoustic Electric, and was pleased to find 2 Fender Super Champ XDs, $200 each, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (priced nice, I know, I know some of you hate them), but I already have a Super Champ, and I didn't need another Fender-y amp. Then down the row, I saw this.

http://HeritageDowntown079.jpg

Marshall JCM 2000, TSL122. I warmed it up, played a little through it, and got ready to leave, as, while it was interesting, I had no intention of paying the $499 on the tag. For kicks, I asked the guy what he'd take. He knows me, and knows I'll walk out with the item if he shoots me a good enough price, so he says "$380 out the door, no tax." I figured I can flip it if/when I realize it's COMPLETE overkill for the basement jams, but for now, I'm going to have a little bit of fun with it. I'd never had a "real" Marshall, just a hybrid one with a tube preamp. I guess I can cross THAT off of the bucket list now!

Nice deal, they are going for $675 to $750 on ebay. What year was that made in?

Uh Oh! I just got done shaking the rafters with this thing, but as soon as I switched the standby switch on, I was greeted with a loud whine/squeal that was difficult to get to go away, regardless of single coil or humbuckers, and was worst on the lead channel. Microphonic tube? They all light up, and I'll have to unscrew the metal grill over them to do the "pencil tap" test, but I'm a little pissed off. Of course, I didn't crank it in the store, just made sure it all fired up and made (good) noise, and left. If it's not an easy fix, it's DEFINITELY going back, or I'll let my local pawn buddies have a crack at it. The classic Marshall tone is there in spades in the thing, but, as I knew, it's complete overkill. I'm not sure on the year, WIll. I didn't see it on it anywhere, but I also don't see these currently being shown on the Marshallamps website, so I'm assuming it's an older, discontinued amp.

Excellent SchunDog! Buying an amp at the flip price is Always worth the money. My bucket list is mostly comprised of amps; can't get enough. Your TSL is on my list too. I'm quite interested to hear how she treats your 525!

Congrats.

Try re-seating the preamp tubes. You can do it with the power on as long as you don't pull the tube all the way out of the socket; just roll them a bit with the volume on.

Oh yeah, but try this first, lol

Golly, this sounds a lot like the problem I had a couple days ago. KBP810 correctly diagnosed as V1. It made playing the rest of the day far more enjoyable!

Sometimes the tubes get loose when moving an amp. That's why I suggested rolling the tubes with the power on. If that doesn't fix the problem, follow the V1 advice.

Gosh, I hope you fix it b/c that will be one helluva amp! Good luck with your ministrations and I eagerly look forward to the tone report. Do you know how many watts? And that looks like a 2-12, wonder what kind of speakers....to be continued.

Sold the Marshall this morning to my local pawn shop. $500. I wiggled the preamplifier tubes a bit, and it still squealed. Then I swapped V1 and V2, and it got considerably better, but was still there, along with a hum. My pawn guy played through it for about 10 minutes, and it didnt seem to bother him, so now we are BOTH happy! Thanks kbp810 and Steiner for the help! Steiner, I thought about seeing if you wanted it, but then thought it would be like selling a friend problematic used car, I f that makes any sense!!

While I had the "hood up" on this thing messing with the tubes, I saw that the 2 12" speakers were Celestions, but not high end ones. Wouldn't THAT have been sweet?! Katy, this was a 100 watt amp! Also, as I read off the serial # to the pawn shop guy, I realized it was built in 1998, as that was the first part of the Serial #. I'm with Fred on the "if it ain't an easy fix" type of thing; that, paired with it's cigarette smoke smell with the tubes warmed up and the speakers pushing air, and it's complete impractiality for me, made it easy to flip it. Here's the features list on the now-departed beast....

<p class="specs">

Features

• 100W tube power
  • 4 EL34 power tubes
  • 4 ECC83 preamp tubes
  • 2 - 12" speakers: a Marshall Celestion and a Heritage
  • 3 channels
  • Spring reverb
  • Tone Shift switches on Crunch and Lead channels
  • Mid Boost switch on the Clean Channel
  • 2 parallel effects loops
  • Dual reverb controls
  • 2 Deep switches
  • 5-way LED footswitch
  • VPR (Virtual Power Reduction) switch emulates a fully saturated 25W amp
  • Marshall's acclaimed Speaker Emulation
  • Power Amp Mute button for silent recording

ah - no wonder it had so many knobs! thanks for posting those specs, and, it was interesting to learn that not all Celestion speakers are high end.

well, you flipped it quick, and now you've got an extra $120 for your gear fund and future forrays to the pawn shoppe! ; )

Cross that one off the list... Any amp you can flip like that is well worth the time. I usually end up losing $100 but find it's woryj it to have tried it. Good job SchunDog!

Archived