Heritage Owners Club

New Amp: KBP ODS (Overdrive Special)

Halowords

I'm borrowing from KBP's thread without hijacking the thread. So, since we're dealing with circuit-wise the same amp, speaker Q.

212Mavguy mentioned JBL g135's as a good choice, KBP spoke fondly of EVM 15L's, as well as mixing a ceramic & alnico speaker.

I'm thinking about either getting a 15" or 2x12. Few questions, if anybody's in the chatting mood:

1) What are the differences between the JBL g135's and EVM 15L's?

2) What would be the pro's & con's between one of the aforementioned 15" speakers and say a 2x12 with a 12" version of one of the aforementioned speakers (e.g. EVM12L [i think that's the numeration], presuming that's an alnico speaker) and a 12" ceramic.

3) If you have any suggestions on a 12" ceramic to pair with a 12" EVM or JBL, I'm all ears. I'd like to have a nice and clear (but not too bright/sharp) top end and a thick/fat/round-yet-articulate-and-not-sloppy-or-muffled bottom end sort of sound.

The EVM is a ceramic... but it has a beast of a magnet on it. They are very efficient speakers that do not really add any of their own flavor or speaker distortion to the mix, so what you hear it generally regarded to be closer to the amps own true voice. (my favorite is to hook up a little 5 watt tweed champ and dime it through an EVM, the tube overdriven sound is most excellent!) They are a great speaker... however, the downside is that they are very heavy!

Sending you a PM shortly regarding the JBL G135's (snagged a pair of them of ebay last night, thanks to a headsup from mavguy! :) )

I'm going with a 1x15" with mine as I wanted a simple cab, that was roughly the same size as the head cab (albeit just slightly larger)... so that meant either a 1x12 or a 1x15. I decided on the 1x15 to try and get some extra umph to the low end - I love making the walls shake! I wanted a simple more compact package for a little better grab it and go setup.

The EVM is a ceramic... but it has a beast of a magnet on it. They are very efficient speakers that do not really add any of their own flavor or speaker distortion to the mix, so what you hear it generally regarded to be closer to the amps own true voice. (my favorite is to hook up a little 5 watt tweed champ and dime it through an EVM, the tube overdriven sound is most excellent!) They are a great speaker... however, the downside is that they are very heavy!

Sending you a PM shortly regarding the JBL G135's (snagged a pair of them of ebay last night, thanks to a headsup from mavguy! :) )

I'm going with a 1x15" with mine as I wanted a simple cab, that was roughly the same size as the head cab (albeit just slightly larger)... so that meant either a 1x12 or a 1x15. I decided on the 1x15 to try and get some extra umph to the low end - I love making the walls shake! I wanted a simple more compact package for a little better grab it and go setup.

Sooooo . . . What you're really saying is I should get the JBL G135 15" from you and a couple EVM's for my 4x12 with four V30's. Right? ;)

Along with an engine block crane to move it in and out of your car.

Well, ideally the 4x12 would be for at-home use and the 15" would be for if/when I ever decided to drag my stuff out of the house.

Quick aside, I was able to go to a friend's house over the weekend and jam. He has a bunch of guitars & a couple of amps, which all work fine. However, I realized I'm pretty spoiled by the equipment I have at home. It's not that his stuff was bad or anything, just not quite as personalized as mine.

4x12 cab's are awesome, but not really for home use if you like your neighbors and friends with the local PD...

The reason I'm not divorced & in jail. :icon_thumright:

mass1.jpg

That said, yeah, it's overkill. Fun, but overkill. Realizing that, I'd still like to try and mix it up a bit. If I ever need it for a gig, hopefully I can recruit whomever I'm jamming with to lend a hand getting it up the stairs and into the trunk. And then back down. Meanwhile, I'll work on my Deadlifts.

If all things go well, I'll be getting a JBL G135 15" from KBP for my KBP. :D So it looks like I need a 1x15 cab. Any input on where to find one or what to get? Specifically, I'm probably looking on the used market. I noticed these tend to be bass cabs. Would I need to look for a specifically guitar-designated cab or would an old bass cabinet be fine? Open vs. closed back? Straight-up 1x15 vs. one that has a small horn tweeter speaker? Any other considerations or specs to be aware of? I'd prefer to be able to just drop the speaker in, plug it in, and go, although minor work that is not a big deal would be fine as well. What I don't want to do is get one, find out it's somehow wrong for what I'm going for, then have to sell one while simultaneously looking for another.

If all things go well, I'll be getting a JBL G135 15" from KBP for my KBP. :D So it looks like I need a 1x15 cab. Any input on where to find one or what to get? Specifically, I'm probably looking on the used market. I noticed these tend to be bass cabs. Would I need to look for a specifically guitar-designated cab or would an old bass cabinet be fine? Open vs. closed back? Straight-up 1x15 vs. one that has a small horn tweeter speaker? Any other considerations or specs to be aware of? I'd prefer to be able to just drop the speaker in, plug it in, and go, although minor work that is not a big deal would be fine as well. What I don't want to do is get one, find out it's somehow wrong for what I'm going for, then have to sell one while simultaneously looking for another.

I would say a bass cab would be fine but you might want to open the back up a bit. The problem is, since bass cabs are desighned for low end kick most of them are made frome very dense materials which are very heavy, and might possibly absorb some of your mids/highs.

On second thought, maybe stay away from bass cabs if possible.

@kbp...

feel free to copy and paste my little note about cab tuning for that JBL from the PM I sent ya for the benefit of halo...and boy will I be sad if those JBL's arrive and you don't like their tonality.

What he said. ;)

Just a thought here, but I believe KBP can make a cab too....

I'm sure he could, and I'm sure I'd love it. However, I think he's booked for the time being, and I'm probably going to go the used route or the on-a-budget route at least for the time being. Given I just got a new guitar, a new amp, and my wife and I are expecting the pitter patter of little feet, I'm probably sticking to Craigslist or something like that for a amp cab blowout. Presuming I can find a good deal on a nice one.

What he said. ;)

I'm sure he could, and I'm sure I'd love it. However, I think he's booked for the time being, and I'm probably going to go the used route or the on-a-budget route at least for the time being. Given I just got a new guitar, a new amp, and my wife and I are expecting the pitter patter of little feet, I'm probably sticking to Craigslist or something like that for a amp cab blowout. Presuming I can find a good deal on a nice one.

Oh wow! Congrats. We haven't heard that noise in a few years. Hopefully, it will be decades before we do again! I'd still check with him on the matching cab....

Archived