Heritage Owners Club

Heritage 535 Review by Joe Jewell...What Do YOU Think?

Gitfiddler

As a huge jazz and semi-hollow guitar fan (Personal favs...Heritage H535, H555, Ibanez AS200, 2630, JSM100, GB10, GB30) I could not wait to read reviews by a great jazz guitarist like Joe Jewell (aka 'Jaz') on his 'Sheets of Sound' website.  After all, we've all read the Harmony Central user reviews and wondered if any of the writers are over 19 years old.  :)

So I was a little suprised by his comments about the Heritage H-535.  My opinons have not been changed, but found his review...interesting.

Do any of you guys agree with this review? ???

http://www.sheetsofsound.net/semihollow.htm

First off I've never heard of Joe Jewell, should I have?  Second off, it doesn't sound like he cares for 335s either as he gave it the same rating as the 535.  Third off, hell yeah they are somewhat inconsistent.  The necks shapes are prety much all over the board and I'll agree with the pleking coment as well.  It sounds to me like this guy is used to playing top notch, custom boutique gutiars and isn't looking for a 335 tone anyway.  I'll agree the 535 has more of a hollowbody tone than a 335 - well to me it's just more resonant/alive sounding.  However mine all have excellent sustain - at least as good as any 335 I've played.  I've compared my 535s with numerous current 335s and everytime I've felt the 535 was superior.  He mentions a body reshape and mickey moust ears.  Sounds like he's getting the 535 and prospect mixed up.  I'd take that guys opininion with a grain of salt.  You could probably put Larry Carlton's 335 in his hands and he wouldn't like it.

This from the main page of Joe Jewel's site:

"Sheets of Sound for Guitar is a set of books based on my musical philosophy. This involves approaching the instrument in a new and different way. These methods are not based on any type of picking method and are not technique books. Instead, they are centered around the concept of playing the music you hear rather than playing the familiar patterns that fall under your fingers."

I agree with this idea, but it kinda sounds like what we've been doing in college guitar programs for decades, so I'm not sure what's so new and different.  Maybe his review of the 535 reflects the needs of his "new and different" approach to the guitar?  :wink:

IMHO, briefly, I believe the 535 is a superior guitar. To me a factory pleked, nicely set up Heritage can only be beat by customizing it to taste. There's no other semi-hollow on the market as good, let alone better.

>I could not wait to read reviews by a great jazz guitarist like Joe Jewell (aka 'Jaz') on his 'Sheets of Sound' website.<

I can't contribute much one way or the other on the sentiments expressed re the 535 review linked to by GitFiddler. But I DO want to correct something important.

The Sheets of Sound website belongs to guitarist Jack Zucker (aka 'Jaz'), not Joe Jewell. Joe apparently contributed the last review on the page...but all the rest (including the Heritage 535 review) are by Jack Z. Jack is an awesome player in many styles, and is quite a gear-hound. He contributes a great deal of posts on the Rec.Music.Makers.Guitar.Jazz newsgroup.

As you guys may already know I have an H-535 in Golden Amber that I bought new in 2007, ( see my avatar pic )

I bought it sight unseen and unplayed, I'd never even seen a Heritage in Ireland.

In the mid '90s I bought a new 335 dot reissue and was thoroughly dissapointed with it, again I had to buy it unseen and unplayed as the Irish importer would only sell it with the case sealed, a totally lame practice which I think is still in operation today.

Basically all of the chrome fell off of everything on it in about 15 months, and I had problems with buzzing and vibrations when playing open strings. It's saving grace were the 57 humbuckers which sounded very good indeed. I ended up trading that guitar in against a new American Strat and a MIJ reissue double bound Tele, at least it retained it's value as it was after all a "Gbrand".

It was with some trepidation then that I ordered my 535 last October.

I have only ever played one 335 and one 535, (I'm left handed and living on the edge of Europe so that's just the way it is !), but I can say that the 535 is a superior guitar to the 335 in terms of

• [li]acoustic tone - unplugged it sustains very well indeed[/li]
    [li]hardware - matched SD '59s and chromed bridge / tailpiece[/li]
    [li]construction - no buzzing or unwanted vibrations etc.[/li]
    [li]feel good factor - my 535 is labelled "Heritage Guitars Custom Shop" with the model and finish details hand written, in these days of mass production that little detail means a lot .[/li]

In company with 575

width=360 height=480http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/SouthpawGuy/535575_04.jpg[/img]

>I could not wait to read reviews by a great jazz guitarist like Joe Jewell (aka 'Jaz') on his 'Sheets of Sound' website.<

I can't contribute much one way or the other on the sentiments expressed re the 535 review linked to by GitFiddler. But I DO want to correct something important.

The Sheets of Sound website belongs to guitarist Jack Zucker (aka 'Jaz'), not Joe Jewell. Joe apparently contributed the last review on the page...but all the rest (including the Heritage 535 review) are by Jack Z. Jack is an awesome player in many styles, and is quite a gear-hound. He contributes a great deal of posts on the Rec.Music.Makers.Guitar.Jazz newsgroup.

Paul, Thanks for the correction.  After reading the Bio of Jack Zucker, (see below) I assumed that he wrote the semi-hollow review...and that he must be a great jazz player to study and work as listed.

And you know what they say about 'AssUMe'. :)

BIO:

Performed and recorded with the Army Jazz Ambassadors

Studio Music/Guitar Major at the University of Miami

Played, performed and studied jazz guitar for over 30 years

Taught at Universities and privately for over 20 years.

Lectured on improvisation at jazz festivals

Studied with Bill Biesecker, Dennis Sandole, Pat Martino, Howard Roberts, Herb Ellis, Barney Kessel, Andrew White, Marc Copeland, Rick Whitehead, Randall Dollahan, Stan Samole, Larry Wooldridge

Performed live broadcasts for the Today Show, numerous other television and radio broadcasts

Performed with Steve Abshire, Eddie Baccus, Greg Bandy, Keter Betts, Paul Bollenback, Dr. Glenn Cashman, Marc Copeland, Danny Gatton, Ellory Eskelin, Shannon Ford, Kathy Lee Gifford, Drew Gress, Jamey Haddad, Paul Horn, Bruce Hornsby, Randy Johnston, Greg Karukas, T. Lavitz, Mike Lee, Hank Levy, Joe Lovano, Rich Madison, Terry Plumeri, John Previti, Dianne Reeves, Howard Roberts, Jim Roberts, Dan Wall, Rick Whitehead, and many others.

Performed in pit-bands for many broadway shows in the DC area

Many local jazz performances in the DC and Cleveland area

Author of: Sheets of Sound for Guitar, a unique and exciting jazz guitar melodic/harmonic technique book. The book is endorsed by Henry Johnson, Jimmy Bruno, John Pisano, Paul Horn, T. Lavitz and more.

Currently working on Slapping and Popping for Guitar and Sheets of Sound the DVD.

+1 karma for the correction; I was going to post it myself.  I actually own Sheets of Sound and it's not a bad book.  Jack's review of the Heritage doesn't bother me at all, and here's why.

1) He is entitled to his opinion, just like we all are. ;)

2) He ranks the Hamer Newport and Gibson 335 the same, and that's some decent company to be in, especially given the price

3) I'm a "if you need to know, you need to do" kind of person...if I want to know how a 535 compares, I'll just buy one and try it out.  Other people's reviews provide broad guidance, but I don't get bogged down in individual likes/dislikes.

YMMV.  HTH.  HAND.

PS:  Oh, and welcome to the Club, Paul!  I don't recall welcoming you prior, so you get one now whether or not you need it. :)

Paul,

Did I sell you a Taylor 814-CW (cutaway wide neck) back in '96 if memory serves me right?  You're name immediately rang a bell and when I saw your website it got me wondering.  I didn't see it in your gallery, nor is it mentioned in your gear, but darn it if your name doesn't ring a bell from somewhere.

Bob Faulkner

The Heritage 535's are inconsistant? How many did he actually play to come to this conclusion? I had a '92 dot neck reissue that I recently sold because it didn't compare to a 535 I owned about 10 years ago. I recently picked up an antique natural 555 which I would gladly put up against any 335,345,or355.I did install Set Lovers which made this is one great sounding semi-hollow.

I feel just the opposite.  I have a 95 & 96 535 and they play and feel the same.  Acoustically they even sound the same.  I have no sustain issues or any other issues that I can think of.  I played a 335 trying out an amp a few months ago and that thing was nowhere near as nice as my Heritages. 

Throw a hood over the guy's head and we will lock him in the dunking booth at the factory in July. 

The Heritage 535's are inconsistant? How many did he actually play to come to this conclusion? I had a '92 dot neck reissue that I recently sold because it didn't compare to a 535 I owned about 10 years ago. I recently picked up an antique natural 555 which I would gladly put up against any 335,345,or355.I did install Set Lovers which made this is one great sounding semi-hollow.

Well I've owned four and still have two here's what I noticed:

1. Almond Sunburst - Custom Order from jay Wolfe - Medium/Large D shape neck. Medicore fret work out of the box.

2. Antique Natural - Bought off of fleabay - Slim C neck.  Decent fret work out of the box.

3. Antique Natural - Bought from Jay Wolfe - Slim D shape neck. Plek set up.  Dead fret at the 17th fret.

4. Dark Almod Burst - Bought from Jay Wolfe - Medium C shape neck.  Plek set up. Ok fret work, high nut.

I've probably played a dozen or so other 535s at the two local dealers: Bufallo Brother and the late great Jeffs Guitars.  I've seen slim C, medium C, slim D, medium D shapes and variatons on the theme.  Pre-plek most had mediocre fret work, though so played very well.  I love my Heritages but I don't seen much consistency in the neck shapes and pre-plek the set ups were hit or miss. 

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. It doesn't matter which brand it is--some come out of the factory good, and others need a lot of work.

Thanks for the welcome, Dick!

I've been here a while (he said sheepishly, and blushed a bit) but mostly have lurked. I've found some of the info on Heritage models, hardware changes over the years, pickup discusiions, etc to have been helpful. I wish I had time to stay tuned more... but I'll certainly pipe up if I can be of help to anyone!

>Paul,

Did I sell you a Taylor 814-CW (cutaway wide neck) back in '96 if memory serves me right?  You're name immediately rang a bell and when I saw your website it got me wondering.  I didn't see it in your gallery, nor is it mentioned in your gear, but darn it if your name doesn't ring a bell from somewhere.

Bob Faulkner<

Man, you've got a lot better memory than me, Bob! (though as my wife could point out, that's not saying much...:)

I think you may be right, though. I DID purchase a Taylor 814 at some point for a student of mine who was looking for one. I am now thinking that that was from another guy, though... so I'm a bit fogged up on that one.

Anyway, if so... hello again!

Below is an excerpt from the Heritage 535 review Gitfiddler provided for us:

I'm not sure why but I have the feeling the block isn't as wide as a true 335 or perhaps it's completely open in the middle for the pickups. This also effects the sustain as they don't sustain like a real 335

How can the author of this review say "this also effects the sustain as they don't sustain like a real 335"?. The two prior sentences as quoted above as well, state he "isn't sure" and "perhaps" as in his insight into the actual construction of the 535 is all based on pure speculation. Seems to me a good journalist would do some research before making a statement like this, of course we know he is NOT a journalist, but rather an "artist" -although the term "BS" artist comes to mind after reading that paragraph.

Also. I'm not comfortable with him using the term "real 335". To me, this  approaches reducing Heritage to a Japanese manufacture like Edwards with their LP "recreations" It's been discussed in this forum and myself along with many others here believe we know where the "real" LP and 335 etc are manufactured. Hint: It's not in Nashville... :wink:

It's been discussed in this forum and myself along with many others here believe we know where the "real" LP and 335 etc are manufactured. Hint: It's not in Nashville... :wink:

I did see a couple of Heritages at the Gibson Store in Nashville last week.  Nicest guitars in the dump!  >:D

JZucker is an accomplished musician and gear/tone snob extraordinaire. His review of anything will be at the highest level of tone, so if a heritage is a bit "off" to him it is a tone thing more or less, he tweaks tone to a point where it is difficult to compare guitars. The guy pulls incredible tone out of anything I have ever seen (but all of it is pretty much high-end and he has modded). He is also a serious in the know on the ceriatone overtone and others. This guy has very very high standards and contributes like mad to the amp and tone community. Let him be a little arrogant if he wants. The Heritage is still The Best in my books and records. And I think my tonequest is a bit different than his anyway.

I did see a couple of Heritages at the Gibson Store in Nashville last week.  Nicest guitars in the dump!   >:D

Did you talk to any of the sales people about them?  I wonder if they were trying to talk them down or be fair?

Whenever another person expresses an opinion about something we care about that, there's the likelihood that we might bristle at something that was said. As another poster pointed out, Jack knows a GREAT deal about guitars, has made it his business to play and evaluate many more guitars than most of us ever will, and is an extremely accomplished player to boot. Of course, none of this means that his opinions will be the same as ours, or that he possess infallible objectivity.

I think that an impression may have gotten created thru this thread that Jack was being highly critical of the Heritage 535. I don't think this is accurate. Here's a quote (from 2006) it's one of a number of posts he's made on RMMGJ re the Heritage 535...

"I picked one up cheap recently, intending to resell it but after playing it,

I'm going to hold onto it (for a while at least).

It beats any of the other 335 style guitars I've played including gibson,

yamaha, ibanez, etc. This is one of the new Jay Wolfe models with Duncan 59

pickups and the gibson style bridge. The neck pickup is very sweet and has a

very methenyesque vibe to it, yet it can still rock and fuze out.

Amazing value for the money. You can find them for $1100-$1200 on ebay which

is a steal for a US hand made instrument.

Jaz"

Sure doesn't sound like a guy who's trying to dis the model!

Did you talk to any of the sales people about them?  I wonder if they were trying to talk them down or be fair?

Actually it was just me and a buddy peeing on their bushes.  >:D

http://www.ronwarren.com/images/gibson-store.jpg

Archived