Heritage Owners Club

Played my 88 H150 live this morning and I really like the Schallers

vbf

I picked up an 88 H150 a couple weeks ago and played it live this morning. I play in a praise and worship and we cover most of what you hear on a contemporary Christian station. I attend a large church with a professional sound engineer, an fantastic sound system, and the band is greatly blessed with very fine musicians...except me, :) The guitar sounded absolutely fantastic and I really like the Schallers. The neck pickup is by far one of my favorites. I had a gorgeous Gibby Classic LP with vintage Shaw in the neck and I honestly prefer the Schaller. I decided to forgo my pedalboard and just use the amp's overdrive with only a delay and chorus. I really wanted to hear what the guitar could do with just a few effects and nothing but the amp. It was fantastic! To get what I want from the bridge pickup I roll the tone back to about 9 and back the volume down to just under max. I really like how the amp reacts to the guitar's volume knob...I just couldn't be happier. Before the guitar arrived I was already shopping for replacement pickups before even hearing the Shaellers. Well, I won't be replacing them any time soon. So my first live action with the H150 was pretty darned good and I'll definitely be using it again.

Schallers sound good in my H170 solidbody, but I'm glad I replaced them with SD Antiquities in my 535. It seems like that tends to be the case with folks; it seems the Schallers do better with the solidbody guitars. Congrats on the 150, and welcome!

Good to hear the much maligned Schallers getting some love here. I like the ones in my 157, sound great with a KBD Reverb Deluxe turned to 11. They must have something going for them if Heritage used them for so many years.

If you like them, stick with them. They are good pickups, but like all pickups they aren't right for everyone.

If you go to the gear page forum, and ask what pickups sound best in a les paul style guitar, you will probably get a different response in every reply.

If you like them, stick with them. They are good pickups, but like all pickups they aren't right for everyone.

If you go to the gear page forum, and ask what pickups sound best in a les paul style guitar, you will probably get a different response in every reply.

Normally here, too. Hang on, as soon as the Schaller lover is over there will be plenty of "I like ....."

I remember them, as they were in my Sunburst. Not bad, but a little prone to squeal on high gain. However, these days I run a setup of Bill Lawrence (Bill & Becky) Wylde L500C (neck) and L500XL (bridge) in all 3 of my H150s. The great thing about Bill & Becky's pickups is that even though they are the same ones in all 3 guitars, all 3 guitars sound different; their pickups really bring out the sound of the wood, even when the gain is cranked up.

rooster.

Archived