Heritage Owners Club

Valuing a DSL-401

barrymclark

A buddy of mine was looking to get a TSL601 but is also looking at the DSL401 (a two channel 40w little brother to the TSL601) as he won't really be using that high gain channel all that much if ever.

What would the reasonable used range of one of these be? I know this is sort of the red-headed stepchild of the JCM2000 line (as in it wasn't nearly as sought after) but I have no idea what is a decent price range so I can steer him clear of those asking too much.

Thanks!

Check the Guitar Center Used Gear section... I see a few for $550 or less.

That is sorta what I figured. ... and GC and Sam Ash and the like tend to be a bit rediculous at times on their used values. I've seen these go for $400 here and there. Just wasn't sure if that was indicative of the market or what.

I paid $400 or so a few years ago off CL from a local seller. It had some bad tubes that had really overheated (burned the Marshall label on one). I pulled them, got a set of JJs and rebiased. Had it at PSPIII. Haven't had a problem since then.

There were issues with too hot of a bias on some models. If you get one, check the series number and find out what the real bias should be. Its a little tricky to do, but if you rig up a little connector with a couple of wires, you can do it without sticking the fingers inside while the amp is on. There are instructions on the Marshall forum, and on some of the tube vendors (Here's Eurotubes version) http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-Marshall-DSLTSLV.htm

I paid $400 or so a few years ago off CL from a local seller. It had some bad tubes that had really overheated (burned the Marshall label on one). I pulled them, got a set of JJs and rebiased. Had it at PSPIII. Haven't had a problem since then.

There were issues with too hot of a bias on some models. If you get one, check the series number and find out what the real bias should be. Its a little tricky to do, but if you rig up a little connector with a couple of wires, you can do it without sticking the fingers inside while the amp is on. There are instructions on the Marshall forum, and on some of the tube vendors (Here's Eurotubes version) http://www.eurotubes...all-DSLTSLV.htm

I have had heat problems with mine, but like rich, I re-tubed with jj's and have had no problems.

Ah, yeah. Heat problems. Totally solvable. And a decent amp after. Mine de-soldered a couple of connections during a gig. On standby for the break ... no amp when we returned. It just got hot and melted some solder. New tubes, re-bias, good to go.

Archived