Heritage Owners Club

KBP Starlite Mock-Up (teaser)

barrymclark

Although my set up will have a second 1x12" cab, I used just a head and single cab so it would show detail in a smaller pic a little better.

Controls are on the rear like old... OLD school amps. Not 1950's. Think 1940's.

The blonde will be the smooth Fender type tolex.

The black tolex will be the Mesa Style type tolex.

The grill cloth is, obviously, the Vox black diamond type.

White 3/32" piping will be used to separate the contrasting tolex colors.

I am VERY excited and CANNOT WAIT to get cranking on this.

:D

That's going to look totally bitchin'. What type of circuit is it going to be? Voxy, AC30ish?

The preamp is based on an old Gibson BR-1 from the mid to late 40's. From there, the Fender style BMT was put in to replace the tone knob and a Fender style reverb was added. There was going to be a bypassable Vox style gain stage but there just wasn't the room in the chassis with the rear control orientation.

So... maybe a tube-based gain stage in a pedal... hmmmmm..... :D

Looks very cool. If it sounds as good as it looks, you've got a winner.

So, to be clear, Brian is building the amp chassis and you are building the amp enclosure/cabs? That would sure help on shipping costs. When I had my Blues Junior modded, I assumed I would have to send him the entire amp. Nope, just unscrew the chassis and send that. Much cheaper.

So, to be clear, Brian is building the amp chassis and you are building the amp enclosure/cabs? That would sure help on shipping costs. When I had my Blues Junior modded, I assumed I would have to send him the entire amp. Nope, just unscrew the chassis and send that. Much cheaper.

Yeah... but I figured, because it is a prototype, he'd want to hear the finished thing.

But, yes, I am building the cabinet.

Looks fantastic :) I like that black and cream contrast a lot.

Me too! I was wanting to find a way to do that which was ACTUALLY buildable. This I actually have the exploded isometric drawing on and it IS buildable without too much fuss. Just the complex curves might be interesting to tolex! haha. I have a plan of attack... just gotta see if my plan works... and my skill is permitting. haha.

The baffle will possibly be dado'd in place but may not as I have to have firring on the front anyways to support he grill cloth/faceplate. The grill cloth will be attached to the face plate that you see in creme (blonde) and that will ride in the front just like any grill cloth and frame by friction. I am, however, considering screwing it down as the weight may too easily pull it out of place with any shake. That is just something I will have to see about.

The preamp is based on an old Gibson BR-1 from the mid to late 40's. From there, the Fender style BMT was put in to replace the tone knob and a Fender style reverb was added. There was going to be a bypassable Vox style gain stage but there just wasn't the room in the chassis with the rear control orientation.

So... maybe a tube-based gain stage in a pedal... hmmmmm..... :D

Oh... and the power amp section is more in the way of a Bassman.

What mix of classic amps going into this. I just hope it ends up being all you hoped for and then some.

Yeah. I was SO SO bummed that the classic EF86 Vox gain stage didn't make it into the amp itself as originally planned. But.. I understand. There are physical constraints. I think it will indeed be a great amp.

That will look very cool. Nice design. Cant wait to see the end result, and hear it!!

That makes at least two of us! Thanks! Glad you dig the design. I definitely had a "Eureka!" moment when got the rough sketch of this down. There were few challenges along the way making this work but, once the bugs got worked out, it was off to the races. :D

Archived