Heritage Owners Club

Let There Be Starlite Build Progress Thread (blog is being deleted)

barrymclark

December 2nd, 2011 Blog Entry:

For the past few months, Brian of KBP Amplification and I have been batting around ideas for a new amp for his product line. Originally, I approached him with the want for a Gibson BR-1 clone. That evolved QUICKLY into something we both started getting excited about. With my financial situation, I couldn't just throw money into it immediately, so... it is taking some time. What that time has bought us, though, is the chance to come up with ideas and truly spend time thinking about them.

Still leaning on the BR-1 layout, a Fender-esque EQ section was introduced in place of the BR-1's tone knob. Further along, the power amp section was beefed up from 18w to roughly 40w with the two 6L6 tubes. Furthermore, and this is still up in the air at the moment, the notion of adding an EF86 based gain stage into the mix (think old VOX).

Just recently, Brian received the chassis he'd build the prototype for testing in. See below.

StarliteChassis.jpg

At nearly the same time, a sketcked mock up of the finished cabinetry was completed by me and I should be starting on the first build of two 1x12" cabinets and head unit this weekend at the same time Brian gets going on this proto.

Below is that sketch mock-up of the Starlite.

post-987-0-30481400-1322746165_thumb.png

The black portions of the cabinet will be covered with Mesa/Boogie styled smooth black tolex while the blonde will be the Fender type smooth blonde tolex.

The grill cloth will be, obviously, the Vox styled black diamond.

Additionally, the different colors and features will be separated a bit by white piping.

This is going to be a very cool experience and I can't wait to get started!

December 4th, 2011 (and final) blog entry (from here on out is just thread entries):

Well, only one of them is baffling. haha.

I went to the local lumber yard here and they had some outstaning 13-ply 3/4 baltic birch ply. Got it in a 5'x5' sheet.

After a day of T-Squaring and circular sawing, I got the attached image.

post-987-0-86262600-1323041623_thumb.jpg

I have it to a tolerance of a touch over 1/32". Got a little close to 1/16" here and there, but that can be worked out in the build. Not bad for a circular saw! :D Kinda proud of myself.

Next weekend, DOVETAIL CITY!

Got these pictures from Brian yesterday, December 5th:

Drill plans:

drillplan2.jpg

drillplan.jpg

...and the drilled chassis!

drilled1.jpg

drilled2.jpg

That's it for now!

The cabinet might not have much work on it until this weekend where I plan to cut the faceplates and dovetail joints.

He must of drilled them after I left on Saturday. It was still a small blank chasis when I left...

Slowly it becomes a NOT blank chassis... but still small.

I was shocked to hear that it was 14" across! Last I heard it was to be 16"! That is a tiny tiny amp!

I know. It looks to be near the size of a Tiny Terror!

The head cabinet I have parts cut out for is to be 16"x10" interior. I was totally expecting this to be a 16 wide chassis. haha.

I may cut the head cabinet down a couple of inches... or just leave it oversized for the head.

You'll appreciate the extra room when you cover the wood with tolex or some other material...

Well, the boxes will be covered without anything in them. So... it will be alright all around. It will be a build specific fit as it stands. I just nudge things here and there where needed.Here, I have a full inch on either side of the chassis. haha.

Looks like an interesting build. Certainly an interesting amp specification!

How are you finding doing part of the work and the other part being done elsewhere? Done much woodwork before?

Looks like an interesting build. Certainly an interesting amp specification!

How are you finding doing part of the work and the other part being done elsewhere? Done much woodwork before?

Rough carpentry for the most part. This is going to be a bit of a challenge... but I will never get where I want by not taking challenges.

Well, the fit of the head in the cabinet will be in question until I actually receive the unit here. Other than that, so far so good. Communication with Brian has been great with regards to dimensions. So... I imagine it will fit as needed when it arrives. :D

Got the last few holes drilled and got a little bit of assembly done - waiting on the transformers to arrive (and hopefully for the faceplate too) before going much further. So far the layout looks tight, but should work out... though the transformer placement is going to present a mild challenge. The PT will sit right over the power supply section, with the leads entering on either side of the filter caps; the OT will have to be nearby as I want to keep it away from the RCA jacks for the reverb tank as much as possible. Very well may have to drop the choke and use a resistor instead :(

IMG_2667.jpg

Its starting to look like an amp!

I know it!

Well, my old dovetail jig just didn't work... so.... I am looking out for another. :(

It will get done... it may just take a little longer for me to find one that works... and fits in my sad, sad budget. haha.

Archived