Heritage Owners Club

Played a Line6 DT50 today

barrymclark

...it was ok.

The American clean I thought was useless.

The British Crunch I thought was useless.

The British Chime, which I assume was to be Vox-y in sound wasn't bad. It was pretty good. Usable at least.

The Modern Hi-Gain was the best sounding one of the bunch. Not bad at all. I'd use it.

Annoyingly noisy. That may have just been the one i played... but the hiss was just... ICK.

For $1200... NO WAY.

I keep setting them up, the Roland keeps knocking them down.

Not bashing Line6. Just saying that this amp, like the others, is not for me.

I have heard people get wonderful tones out of them. I just haven't been able to get what I want out of one.

This one was close with the Vox setting.

Roland is just a better match for me in affordable modeler terms.

Seeing on several forums that the hiss is common and fixed with new tubes.

I do wonder if it sounds better then if the tubes are in working order. I was so bummed. Was very looking forward to a Line6 amp I liked.

I am just REALLY hoping that it was JUST that amp having problems.

Wasn't a Guitar Denter or anything. Just a small chain that are only in GA I think. I know their original store was here in Marietta off Roswell street when I was growing up. I had to break out my rig hook up cap to try half the amps in there. haha. Leaning over the display to find loose power cables to plug in and read impedence information before hooking up to cabs. haha.

Truly, if its tubes were at issue, that would cause it sound like garbage.

I will keep an eye out for another one to try.

Nah, just stick with the Roland and the Starlite.

If I did that... I wouldn't have the Roland NOR Starlite. :D

Of course... if I did that... I wouldn' have sold the 5150.

STUPID DOUBLE-EDGED SWORD!

I just got a little bit of cash... so... I might be able to get the speaker and the tolex/grill cloth for the cabinetry. :D I just gotta see if I can hold hit for a couple weeks without an emergency spend needed.

What about the DT25?

I am not a big fan of EL34 tubes.

But I really like the EL84's... Even better than the 6L6's which I like the most after the EL84's.

All of the amps I liked most so far had the EL84's.

I liked Mesa Boogie 20/20 stereo power amp with my Bean POD-XT.

I have a POD HD300 sitting at home doing nothing for me since I do not have the 20/20 anymore.

I have 2 X JE200s and 1 AH200 by Evans, which I use the most.

The ide of using 2 X DT25s with my POD HD300 is very tempting but these reliability issues with Line6 is holding me back.

I am still curious about a DT25 demo.

For me, 2 of the 4 voicings would be usable.

A Vox AC30 or 15 or a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

I might just buy 1 each but, the old ones are the ones that sound nice.

If DT25 could emulate the old ones that would be nice.

One last alternative is to have a local genius amp builder to build me an old style Deluxe reverb and a Vox AC15.

Who knows??? :)

What about the DT25?

I am not a big fan of EL34 tubes.

But I really like the EL84's... Even better than the 6L6's which I like the most after the EL84's.

All of the amps I liked most so far had the EL84's.

I liked Mesa Boogie 20/20 stereo power amp with my Bean POD-XT.

I have a POD HD300 sitting at home doing nothing for me since I do not have the 20/20 anymore.

I have 2 X JE200s and 1 AH200 by Evans, which I use the most.

The ide of using 2 X DT25s with my POD HD300 is very tempting but these reliability issues with Line6 is holding me back.

I am still curious about a DT25 demo.

For me, 2 of the 4 voicings would be usable.

A Vox AC30 or 15 or a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

I might just buy 1 each but, the old ones are the ones that sound nice.

If DT25 could emulate the old ones that would be nice.

One last alternative is to have a local genius amp builder to build me an old style Deluxe reverb and a Vox AC15.

Who knows??? :)

They didn't have a DT25 where I was. Maybe they will have one where I am going today.

I always like to wander around and see what is out here.

I too, like the EL84s. Not sure if I like them better than 6L6, but I don't like them less.

I will let you know what I find. :D

My approach to these amps isn't whether or not they sound just like whatever model amp.

I go in with a bit of Queen, Vince Lewis (yep, I take in one of his easier tunes to try tones with), Brian Setzer, Black Sabbath and some metal tunes from a band I once played in.

If it gets a good sound that works in the way of the above mentioned styles, then it will cover that Vox-like tone, the jazzier tones, the vintage American tone, Vintage Marshall tone and modern high gain. That, in honesty, is what I want a modeler to do. I don't care if it does a model of 5 years of the JCM800. Just do something along the lines of a style that I dig... and now we are talking. ;)

Oh, and aesthetically, just to add, the DT series is a KILLER looking amp to me. :D

I am one of those people that, regardless of how much I like something... I tend to move on at some point. The only thing that has seem to become immune to that so far is my H575. All amps and guitars this far have all fallen out of favor. Not that they were bad. Just simply got tired of them and moved on to the next new shiny thing.

One thing I have to remember when I say I want an amp back I shouldn't have sold.. is I did let go of them for a reason. Well, the 5150 was bills, but in general.

My approach to these amps isn't whether or not they sound just like whatever model amp.

I share your approach.

It's just that the tube amps that were invented so far has a few different voicings.

Those are Fender, Marshall, Vox, Mesa...

I could not care less if it nailed a certain guitar/song sound.

I am a jazz player and even if I play a song that is not mine, I want to play it in a way that sounds like me.

However, I happen to get the sounds I like from mostly Fender Deluxe/twin reverbs and Vox AC15/30 and some boogies.

I can get a very nice clean sound out of my Evans JE200s but I do use some mild drive occasionally.

So, on paper DT25 looks very nice.

I could not care less if it not sound exactly like a certain model.

If it does the clean sound nice and a bit of a drive.

I am all set :)

If I am not mistaken, the DT series amps may or may not use any modelling at low levels, and this is only if it is used in conjunction with a linked HD series floor unit. The rest of the time it is using discrete amp stages that can be configured/voiced via internal relays to produce a variety of different sounds/tonal saturation curves. My understanding is there is no specific channel 1-4 sound, as all are inter-mixable and stored for later retrieval.

For what it costs, you can get a handmade/wired KBP810 Reverb Deluxe for the same price as the Line 6 amps.

How much do they cost?

Do they have a site?

Will they buil an amp for Europe volage?

Thanks... :)

If I am not mistaken, the DT series amps may or may not use any modelling at low levels, and this is only if it is used in conjunction with a linked HD series floor unit. The rest of the time it is using discrete amp stages that can be configured/voiced via internal relays to produce a variety of different sounds/tonal saturation curves. My understanding is there is no specific channel 1-4 sound, as all are inter-mixable and stored for later retrieval.

I have hard that,for the most part, this is true. There is digital this and that in the EQ.

For what it costs, you can get a handmade/wired KBP810 Reverb Deluxe for the same price as the Line 6 amps.

Quite right.. but a different animal BUT... based on what he says he plays, this might fit him better if the point of the Line6 is to save money on a single amp style.

How much do they cost?

Do they have a site?

Will they buil an amp for Europe volage?

Thanks... :)

Talk to Brian (KBP810 on these boards). He is making me an amp called the Starlite that is based, initially at least, the mid to late 1940's Gibson BR-1 amplifier (love the jazzy and early rock tones with these amps) with a beefed up power section like the Fender Bassman, Fendery reverb and EQ and a separate channel with gain stage that only has gain and volume control.

Cool stuff.

He can make all kinds of stuff and at a good price.

Its a funny thing, this modeling. I can see a real place for it.

I was surprised while I was watching a Doobie Bros concert. John McFee is playing a Line 6 variax 600. In a Vintage Guitar magazine he talked about using the Line 6.

And on the Carlene record I did all the electric guitar parts with a Line 6 Variax.” That embrace of technology may surprise some, as could McFee’s mode of amplification “I use the Variax through a Pod XT. I haven’t used amplifiers onstage for, I don’t know… about 15 years. I’m a traditionalist as a player, but in terms of equipment, I’ve never liked things loud, so it’s great for me to have an in-ear monitor. It works out well for the sound man and I honestly would love to challenge people to tell me if it’s what they call a ‘real’ amp or the other.”

That's not the first time I've seen a Pod on stage at a major concert. I guess it does have an advantage... You unplug, put it in the suitcase and off you go.

Archived