Heritage Owners Club

Paging Yoslate......

Kuz

Brent, you'd better do some work on 111518 and ingeneri's postings from yesterday!!!             8) 

Oh, and Kuz....  Your comment about "sappy crap" wounded me deeply!  I spent the evening, locked in my music room, listening to old Carpenters vinyl and listening to Kenny G, just trying to reconnect with myself...you know...heal....          :'(         

yeah, my fingers prob dont bend that way ;D

LMAO....carpenters....she did have a great voice

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For these jazz boxes (Eagles/Kennys/etc), are they solid tops or laminated?  For that matter, same question for 535/555s.  I'll go poke around the site and see if I find this -  was reading about a 60s Barney Kessell today (G-brand) that had some of each (laminate/solid) tops made.

Well, that was easy - edit my own post since site clearly shows solid tops for the thick-body jazz boxes (Nice!) and laminate's for 535/555.

The Eagles and Sweet 16 are carved spruce tops.  The Super Kenny Burrell is also carved spruce.  In contrast the 575 is carved maple and the Kenny Burrell Groovemaster and new 525 are maple laminates.  The general rule of thumb is carved tops sound better, at least acoustcly, while laminates feed back less.  That said, I don't have major feedback issues with my Super Eagle, which has a huge feedback machine 18" lower bout.

I'm more patient about waiting on my Groovemaster because I'm already having so much fun with my relatively new Super Eagle.  However, I really would have preferred leaving the house with a laminate Groovemaster in yesterday's 100+ heat index.  I ended up opting for taking my D'angelico NYL2 in the hopes that the pressed solid top and thick poly finish would tough it out.  There was no way I was exposing the Super Eagle to that weather.

My Eagle has the stock humbuckers like Burrell and Benson's old Super 400s.  Yos is custom with P-90s, for a presumably more Hank Garland/Scotty Moore sound.  I will, of course, hunt him down for clips as I'm dying of curiosity on how his new guitar will sound.  Bet it'll be a monster that ends up being well worth the wait.

I'm more patient about waiting on my Groovemaster because I'm already having so much fun with my relatively new Super Eagle. 

what color/features does is it have?  i can try to look it up fri? 

Thanks, it should be in antique sunburst with customized phat cat pickups and gold hardware.  Jeff Hale is the dealer I ordered with.  Interestingly, Wolfe doesn't seem to carry any of these even though he helped design it.  Maybe they're pushing their exclusive 525 instead?

Thanks, it should be in antique sunburst with customized phat cat pickups and gold hardware.  Jeff Hale is the dealer I ordered with.  Interestingly, Wolfe doesn't seem to carry any of these even though he helped design it.  Maybe they're pushing their exclusive 525 instead?

ok..i'll see what i can find

Yo, Kuz!  Doing just fine here, thanks, my friend...just fine.  Been on a prescription of Finger Lakes Reisling this week.  Just finished grading my last set of exams, and that Super will be on the way soon.  I'm off for the summer, and I'm going to get well acquainted with that big box in a hurry!  In fact, just got a gig at a summer music festival here in town, not with my regular band, but sitting in with some good friends, opening for Bob Margolin, five days before The Pilgrimage.  I plan on making that Sid's Coming Out!  Life is good!  "I'm A Lucky So-and-So."          :icon_farao:

• 2 weeks later...
SLATE.....ITS DONE!!!   (LOLLARS, RIGHT)?

YES!!!  Odd, how the circles on this guitar intersect.  I just  got off of the phone with Graham, at Wolfe guitars!  Thought I might not be jumping the gun to call them and suggest it might be on the way next week.  I wanted to inquire about the possibility of having an additional bridge (tune-a-matic a la 525) shipped with the guitar.  I also asked him about how they'd set it up once they got it, and what their turnaround would be, before they sent it to me.  Graham was his usual, chatty self, full of info and asides.  Every time I've called him, he's never seemed hurried, nor in a rush to get me off of the phone.  His explanation of the how and why of their setup was detailed and made perfect sense, bespeaking their vast experience with archtops.  This is going to be odd, having it, after thirteen months of ups and downs, the shutdown...and everything else,  I don't know if I'm actually ready for this.... 

Thanks for everything, Brent!  Pics as soon as I get it!

YES!!!  Odd, how the circles on this guitar intersect.  I just  got off of the phone with Graham, at Wolfe guitars!  Thought I might not be jumping the gun to call them and suggest it might be on the way next week.  I wanted to inquire about the possibility of having an additional bridge (tune-a-matic a la 525) shipped with the guitar.  I also asked him about how they'd set it up once they got it, and what their turnaround would be, before they sent it to me.  Graham was his usual, chatty self, full of info and asides.  Every time I've called him, he's never seemed hurried, nor in a rush to get me off of the phone.  His explanation of the how and why of their setup was detailed and made perfect sense, bespeaking their vast experience with archtops.  This is going to be odd, having it, after thirteen months of ups and downs, the shutdown...and everything else,  I don't know if I'm actually ready for this....   

Thanks for everything, Brent!  Pics as soon as I get it!

i had to go down there this morning to settle up w/ Vince on some shirts...and there it was!!!  it looks incredible!  the "H" tailpiece is killer!!!

...and i did not play it :-X :P :-X :P

i had to go down there this morning to settle up w/ Vince on some shirts...and there it was!!!  it looks incredible!  the "H" tailpiece is killer!!!

Did it still have that beautiful Tobacco burst finish??? ;D

Tell Graham not to d!ck around when it comes in, set it up that day, and mail it to you ASAP!!!

13 months, man Yoslate you are a patient man. I hope this guitar is everything you dreamed it to be (tobacco finish and all)!!!

...and i did not play it :-X :P :-X :P

About that finish, Kuz....  There's nothing wrong with that almondburst a little DIY black-to-brown Krylon fade won't cure....  Graham said they'd turn it around inside twenty-four hours.  He said most of the time they come from Kalamazoo within a sixty-fourth or two all around, and there's not much sense in dialling it dead on because, as a new instrument, it's going to move around a bit for a while anyway.  And thanks for this thread, Kuz.  It's been a bit of a lifeline and good for a laugh as I've ground through the homestretch.  I'm beginning to get just a bit excited...but also apprehensive; I have such a clear image of this thing in my mind, I'm a bit leery of A/B-ing it to the real thing....  I'm also looking forward to hearing from ingeneri, regarding his Groovemaster, which he should be taking delivery on next week, as well.     

Archived