Heritage Owners Club

Paging Yoslate......

Kuz

Made my day, Brent; made my day!!!  Thanks so much for the report and lookin' out for me, man!  Karma up!  Always good to have a sighting!  Tell the boys I've had a feeling about this one all along and that there's a story I'll share with them in July.  Any sign of ingeneri's Big Burrell?             :occasion14:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Made my day, Brent; made my day!!!  Thanks so much for the report and lookin' out for me, man!  Always good to have a sighting!  Tell the boys I've had a feeling about this one all along and that there's a story I'll share with them in July.  Any sign of ingeneri's Big Burrell?             :occasion14:

my pleasure slate!!!  Ren feels terrible about the delay too.

i didnt see a burrell in the setup room?

good news...the H tailpieces may be comming back?

Sorry, Brent, I probably shouldn't say this, but aren't you sort of putting the guy on the spot? I'm pretty possessive (OK, OK, an asshole) about my guitars, and, if I were 'slate, this request would put me in an awkward position.  You are a self-proclaimed wheeler and dealer, and it's his baby. 

can i play it before they ship it out? :-*

Sure!  I don't want to limit you, Brent,...but only  6th, m7th, m7b5, and 9th chords.  No hair metal licks, no tapping, and nothing by: AC/DC, Kansas, Steve Vai, Dokken, Def Leppard, Scorpions, Green Day, Tesla, April Wine, Kiss, BTO, Whitesnake, Rush... well...you get the idea....  How could anyone on the forum not know you by now, Brent?                :headbang:

Just saw your post, 111518, and I really appreciate the consideration!  I'm very careful with my stuff, to be sure, but this is how instruments develop personal history, vibe.  As regular contributors to the forum, and unabashed Heritage acolytes, Brent and I share something.  I'd like to think I'd be the one to play the first note on that box, but I know that won't happen anyway.  So if Brent can play a few changes (See above!) on the Super and put a little tease in this thread for me, it's all part of this guitar's gig, and a bit of a kick for me.  Just remember, Brent, "Sid" may dance with you, but she's going home with me!        :wink:

Sorry, Brent, I probably shouldn't say this, but aren't you sort of putting the guy on the spot? I'm pretty possessive (OK, OK, an asshole) about my guitars, and, if I were 'slate, this request would put me in an awkward position.  You are a self-proclaimed wheeler and dealer, and it's his baby. 

i would never play another man's guitar, especially before he even had a chance to see it....slate knows i was kidding

No, I meant what I said in my last post!  You want to spank that thing if you're around once it's put together, tell Ren I said you could have at it!  If you're interested, I'll tell where this philosophy comes from, when I see you in July.  It's all among friends!  Guitars are made to be played!  But you are obligated to file a report for me....        ;D

No, I meant what I said in my last post!  You want to spank that thing if you're around once it's put together, tell Ren I said you could have at it!  If you're interested, I'll tell where this philosophy comes from, when I see you in July.  It's all among friends!  Guitars are made to be played!  But you are obligated to file a report for me....         ;D

Oh, no way man, what if i dropped it, scratched it, drooled on it or slobbered no it?  i was totally kidding :)

you deserve to enjoy the 1st chord ;D

didnt mean to start a ruckus

No ruckus from where I sit!  I think 111's post was thoughtful and most well intentioned.  And again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your post today.  I've been on Cloud 9 all afternoon.

Sorry ...obviously I didn't have an ear for Brent's humor here, and my attempt to address what seemed awkward just complicated the situation.  My fault.  My only defense is that I've found that people have widely-varying attitudes about other people playing their guitars ...I'm not at all proud of my possessiveness, but I also wonder about people I've encountered who just assume it's cool to take someone else's guitar off a stand and start banging away.  I admire Yoslate's openness; I've always struggled with that moment when a kid comes up during a break and wants to play my guitar, esp. since I remember being that kid ogling guitars on the bandstand. 

This thread did get me thinking ... what could you play with Yoslate's four jazz chords?  In the interest of being helpful(!?), here's a way to use chord substitutions to harmonize a tune making significant use of all four, but only those four, chords.

Autumn Leaves:

"A" Section (usual changes)

Am7/D7/Gmaj7/Cmaj7/F#m7-5/B7/Em/Em  x 2

Becomes, with our four-chord vocab:

Am7            D9        G6            C6              F#m7-5        (NR) B9      Em7

654321    654321    654321    654321    6 5  4  3  2  1  654321    654321

5x555x    x5455x    3x243x      8x798x    x 9 10 9 10 x    x6767x    x7578x

R b5 7 m3        3795

(You might recognize that the shape for m7-5 and (non-root) 9th is identical, so I put the chord tones underneath.)

Bridge and last 8 ... usually played

F#m7-5/B7(b9)/Em/Em/Am7/D7/Gmaj7/Gmaj7/F#m7-5/B7(b9)/Em7 Eb7/Dm7 Db7/Cmaj7/F#m7-5 B7(b9)/Em/Em

Becomes, using same chord forms above:

F#m7-5/(NR)B9/Em7/Em7/Am7/D9/G6/G6/F#m7-5/(NR)B9

...then, for the chromatic section, the voice leading using Yoslate's chords gets a little funky, since we don't have the regular dom7 chord in our vocab. 

Here's the best I can come up with...

Em7          Eb9        Dm7    (NR)Db9        C6             

654321    654321  654321    654321  654321 

x7978x    x6566x    x5356x    x8989x    8x798x

then back to the same F#/B/Em chords above for the turnaround at the end.

Other tunes using these chords?

Autumn Leaves:

"A" Section (usual changes)

Am7/D7/Gmaj7/Cmaj7/F#m7-5/B7/Em/Em  x 2

Becomes, with our four-chord vocab:

Am7            D9        G6            C6              F#m7-5        (NR) B9      Em7

654321    654321    654321    654321    6 5  4  3  2  1  654321    654321

5x555x    x5455x    3x243x      8x798x    x 9 10 9 10 x    x6767x    x7578x

R b5 7 m3        3795

(You might recognize that the shape for m7-5 and (non-root) 9th is identical, so I put the chord tones underneath.)

Bridge and last 8 ... usually played

F#m7-5/B7(b9)/Em/Em/Am7/D7/Gmaj7/Gmaj7/F#m7-5/B7(b9)/Em7 Eb7/Dm7 Db7/Cmaj7/F#m7-5 B7(b9)/Em/Em

Becomes, using same chord forms above:

F#m7-5/(NR)B9/Em7/Em7/Am7/D9/G6/G6/F#m7-5/(NR)B9

...then, for the chromatic section, the voice leading using Yoslate's chords gets a little funky, since we don't have the regular dom7 chord in our vocab.

Here's the best I can come up with...

Em7          Eb9        Dm7    (NR)Db9        C6           

654321    654321  654321    654321  654321 

x7978x    x6566x    x5356x    x8989x    8x798x

then back to the same F#/B/Em chords above for the turnaround at the end.

Other tunes using these chords?

I get a headache from just looking at all this!

Running an open jam I get people asking to play my guitars all the time. I know where everyone is coming from. And I am not one to care if someone I know and trusts plays my axes but in this situation, where there are a ton of drunks in the bar and strangers coming up who I have no idea if they know which end of the guitar to play, deffinately not a situation where sharing is an option. I have an artcore Ibanez I offer up that really is a nice git but I think its unavoidable to not look like a dick when you shut someone down from playing your good stuff.

Honestly, I know so little about guitars really when someone in the know wants to play my axes I gladly offer them up and start asking them questions. still trying to learn about what makes a guitar feel right. No matter how much I mess with any of my axes, they never feel as good as when I get them back from a good tech. Anyway, congrats on the sweet axe Yoslate.. looks like you got a real winner heading you way!

Uncanny, 111.  I'm not a jazz player, but a huge admirer and wannabe.  "Autumn Leaves" is one of my favorite jazz tunes...on any instrument!  Your arrangement of chord substitutions was terrific...an entertaining read for me.  When I'm not as busy as this weekend (buried with exams to grade), I'll sit with it and chop it out, so thanks for that; it'll be fun!  I admire your grasp of theory!  I can hardly imagine the work guys like you and John have dedicated yourselves to.  Thanks for the sentiment, Mikenov!  Very much looking forward to the arrival!

Thundersteel, Brent:

Sorry ...the last thing I meant to do was cause a headache.  It's just a set of chords that allow you to play a jazz standard.  When I sit down with a guitar to screw around, this is the sort of stuff that I often do ... I take out a chart of a tune, and experiment with different chords that connect well to play the changes, or that allow me to construct a chord melody arrangement (play the melody of the tune as a top voice of a chord or partial cord.)  It doesn't require that you can sightread, or that you know a ton of theory.  I'm not good enough at it to do it live in public, but I get a lot of enjoyment from it, and it has pushed me first to learn new chords and voicings, and then to work to understand harmony.  You don't need a drummer, or high gain ... I find it LESS likely to make my head hurt than the rock and r&b playing I do.  I guess the joke is three chords to a thousand people, or a thousand chords to three ...but when it's just me, I get real pleasure from this stuff. 

I think (hope), that if you just strum the chords, you will find they sound interesting and that they connect in a musical way.  (The top numbers are the strings, the numbers below are where you fret each string.)  That's the challenge of reharmonizing, though in this case it was just a sort of game to only use the chords in Yoslate's post.  The most famous version of Autumn Leaves is on the Cannonball Adderley album "Something Else;" Miles Davis plays the melody --worth a listen. 

I'm suppose to be a teacher, so if there are questions I could answer that would make any of this less confusing, I'd be happy to try to answer as best as I can.  I've basically worked my way through this stuff by experimentation and reading and asking questions.  I've been lucky to play with people who have had formal training or more experience, and I've bugged them incessantly, so I try to give back when I can.  I think I understand how confusing and intimidating it can seem.  Like any system of knowledge, it only begins to make sense once you accumulate some basics and some vocabulary ...I'm still a beginning student myself.  Just to give one little nugget: Yoslate's four chords actually open most harmonic possibilities, because all chords start with one of four basic triads, or three note groups: major, minor, diminished, augmented.  Yoslate gave us three of those four triads to work with, and, since most chords can be substituted for other chords that share their basic triad ...he opened up a pretty wide pallete, though there are some harmonic(harmonic minor, to be exact) problems in what I posted. 

Sorry you've still got exams, Yoslate.  Me ...I've transitioned from being an underpaid academic to being an unpaid carpenter and yard worker ...but at least I have a few months to recharge before I have to get through a stack of exams or papers. 

listen to you guys talk about 7Th's, 6Th's....major, minor, progressions, scales......makes me wish i would have taken music in school.  all i was concerned with was women, photography and beer (not necessarily in that oder all the time) ;D

i worry that I'll never acquire that knowledge, with child, job, wife, etc.  maybe i wont...but if i ever need a lesson, i have a plethora of knowledge here to tap. ;D

111, no worries dude

slate, you gonna bring it to the farm?  get some cow s**t on it?  (we dont have any animals, just kidding)

You guys are so unbelievable!!!

I actually played the exact same chord progression on my 150 when I was at the factor.

I am not kidding it was the first thing played on my 150 with the Lollar imperials.

Uncanny?!!?!!

While we're hanging out waiting, let me ask you, Brent: In this picture, is Ren the guy holding the 555 at the bottom?  Not trying to hijack the thread, just keeping it going.

Yes it is!!

While we're hanging out waiting, let me ask you, Brent: In this picture, is Ren the guy holding the 555 at the bottom?  Not trying to hijack the thread, just keeping it going.

yes, that is him...its good man, no worries

Thanks, Kuz, I thought so.  Nice lacquer-curing, guitar-shipping weather we're having these days. And ingeneri, I'm pulling for you just the same.

Another pic. I got a thousand.

OK, here's another one: Do either of you know the name of the gal who sands the guitars? It's in that article, but I can't get my Adobe reader to work.

Heritage93-1.jpg

Heritage93-1.jpg_thumb

OK, here's another one: Do either of you know the name of the gal who sands the guitars? It's in that article, but I can't get my Adobe reader to work.

this one?

Katie Flamm does a final sanding and fixes tiny imperfections prior

to sending the guitars to the finishing department.

i couldnt copy the pic, it wouldnt let me

i would never play another man's guitar, especially before he even had a chance to see it....slate knows i was kidding

I would have played it naked!  I would have raised the action and bent strings with abandon.  I would have befouled it with those two note octave chords I am playing around with these days.  >:D

Slate I hope they hand you that guitar in front of all of us at the factory tour.  I want to see how emotional you get when you see your new bride.  Unlike wedding photos your expression will be real. 

As far as the guitar lessons here....I eat this shit up.  I hope to get a chance to try some of this tomorrow afternoon. 

Archived