Heritage Owners Club

Fender Deluxe Reverb RI VS Traynor YCV-40

schundog

I felt the need to get a little loud tonight, so I warned my wife, headed downstairs, and lit up both my Deluxe Reverb Re-Issue (DRRI) and my Traynor YCV-40. I always knew they both had their own thing going on, but I don't know if I ever compared them head to head. The Traynor has 2 channels, clean and dirty, and has a mids tone knob, along with a presence knob. One input only, and has an effects loop. The speaker is a Celestion 70-80 (Not the best from that company, but does fine in this.) I found the Traynor first, a few years ago; I went in to GC to buy a DRRI, saw the Traynor used for $200, and scooped it up. It's a great amp, with 6L6 power tubes vs the 6V6 in the DRRI. 40 watts for the Traynor, 22 for the DRRI. Both plenty loud. A couple months later I went back and got the DRRI, even though the Traynor was similar. Tonight's test, for me, shows they are different enough to keep both, at least for now. I recorded a few crappy clips, and I don't always even know which one is which amp, so I won't feel bad if you don't listen to them, haha. This first one is pretty clean on both amps; he first is the Deluxe Reverb into Vibrato Channel one directly, then midway I switch to the Traynor. All clips are recorded with my H-535, cord, amp, nothing else. Recorded with my Tascam Dr-05 handheld recorder.

https://www.soundcli...d=11358366&q=hi

This second one is the Traynor on the dirty channel, then switching to the DRRI; The DRRI can GET dirty, but the mic was clipping when I got that loud with it; I'm not smart enough to figure out how to adjust for that yet, so I had to turn down the DRRI, which took away some of it's grit.

http://www.soundclic...d=11358364&q=hi

I had some more, but they sucked worse than these two, haha. Oh well, I had fun, and my ears are ringing....

reverbs002.jpg

Oh sure... been down this road. Did Kuz put you up to this?... suck me into saying how the DR is the best club amp ever with it's lush cleans/reverb/trem and just the right amount of drive and then a few days later it's all a digital psychology experiment. Yeh, fool me once...

But nice playing all the same, Brian! Love the 335 (wait... if that really IS a 335... and if you really ARE Brian...

Jeez, 'dog, haven't you been paying attention? If you had an Axe FX or one of those magic Kemper Kopy Kontraptions, you wouldn't need to be fooling around with those obsolete old tube amps. Just spend 8 to 10 hours dialing in your sound and away you go.

(Nice 535. Too bad it doesn't have a decent pickguard, though.)

I'd like to make one point about the Traynor (I have a YCV-50 Blue). The YCV-40 is rated at 40 watts into a 4 ohm load but is loaded with an 8 ohm speaker, so output isn't really 40 watts unless you add a second 8 ohm speaker in parallel to the first. Not that it makes much difference, I just thought I'd mention it. Several Fender amps are set up this way also. They have a single 4 ohm output, but some such as the Twin Reverb have two 8 ohm speakers so they are able to produce their rated output.

Jeez, 'dog, haven't you been paying attention? If you had an Axe FX or one of those magic Kemper Kopy Kontraptions, you wouldn't need to be fooling around with those obsolete old tube amps. Just spend 8 to 10 hours dialing in your sound and away you go.

8 to10 hours? :icon_shaking2:

The Deluxe Reverb is the first patch on my Axe-Fx and it took no more time to dial in then a real DR. There are just so many misconceptions about the Axe-Fx.

Guest HRB853370

The Deluxe Reverb is the first patch on my Axe-Fx and it took no more time to dial in then a real DR. There are just so many misconceptions about the Axe-Fx.

But does it sound like the real thing?

That was just my feeble attempt at humor.

Axe-Fx. What do you use for power amp and speakers?

Are they lightweight?

Does AxeFx sound like the real thing thru P.A. monitors?

For recording I bet it does but the questions above remain valid until I hear the answer from a long-time AxeFX user.

Oh sure... been down this road. Did Kuz put you up to this?... suck me into saying how the DR is the best club amp ever with it's lush cleans/reverb/trem and just the right amount of drive and then a few days later it's all a digital psychology experiment. Yeh, fool me once...

But nice playing all the same, Brian! Love the 335 (wait... if that really IS a 335... and if you really ARE Brian...

Ha! I guess we're ALL going to be a little paranoid going forward, taking things at face value, eh?! Nope, these fumbling, mistake laden clips are actual recordings of these actual amps, using my actual H-535; And last time I checked, I AM really Brian.

Lyle, if you wish to continue to let the beautiful finish of YOUR trans-cherry 535 languish under the shadow of a pickguard, that, my friend, is your perogative. After looking at the pic I posted of mine, YUCK, I must have worked up a sweat during this experiment; that 535 is Funky in a BAD way! I could have at least wiped it off!

OK, one last one; No snickering (ok, go ahead) at my "lead" playing. Funny, I got the 535 to feedback nicely at the end of the Traynor trial, but, at similar volume, the DRRI would give it up. I had the dirty channel on on the Traynor, though, so more gain....

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11360177&q=hi

i may be an old backwards hillbilly..but i have a feeling my KBP will make me forget all about that AXE-FX thingy..just sayin.. :icon_sunny: and I've never even used one..

Archived