Heritage Owners Club

Why no standby on Peavey Classic 30/Delta Blues

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

I wonder why Peavey has no standby switch on the Classic 30 and Delta Blues series? I had heard that it had something to do with the circuit-KBP?

BillM of Blues Junior fame has said repeatedly that the voltages that hit low powered amps upon being powered up aren't enough to warrant a standby switch so you can "warm up" the tubes first. However, he is now offering a standby switch mod for the BJ, and in the attached article, somebody asked if it would work on a Delta Blues, and he says yes, but needs to be done by an amp tech familiar with that amp. Here's the article.

http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=327

Lower powered amps, and ones with tube rectifiers don't really "need" a standby switch - so it becomes more a matter of convenience (silence the amp on demand while keeping the tubes warm and at the ready); to which a silent tip cable (**insert plug for GT Cables here :) **) can also adequately do the job.

Personally... I think that any solid state rectified amp probably should have a standby switch; though I haven't really looked at a schematic for the amps mentioned above and they may also be using something along the lines of a thermistor to slow/limit the inrush current on power on. (since a rectifier tube must warm up before it can do it's job of providing power to the circuit, it in itself acts as an inrush current limiter)

Lower powered amps, and ones with tube rectifiers don't really "need" a standby switch - so it becomes more a matter of convenience (silence the amp on demand while keeping the tubes warm and at the ready); to which a silent tip cable (**insert plug for GT Cables here :) **) can also adequately do the job.

Personally... I think that any solid state rectified amp probably should have a standby switch; though I haven't really looked at a schematic for the amps mentioned above and they may also be using something along the lines of a thermistor to slow/limit the inrush current on power on. (since a rectifier tube must warm up before it can do it's job of providing power to the circuit, it in itself acts as an inrush current limiter)

I'm sure you are familiar with the circuit but the Super Reverb has a tube rectifier and a standby switch, what you are saying makes sense to me, the standby on the Super must just be for convenience.

Or just common practice at the time.

As an owner of a Deltablues, even with a silent tip installed, the amp still makes a "pop" noise when the amp is turned off. According to the good folks on the Peavey forum, the low wattage (30 Watt) DeltaBlues or Classic 30 doesn't need one. However, there are mods for the amp out there for changing over amp to standby switch.

"As an owner of a Deltablues, even with a silent tip installed, the amp still makes a "pop" noise when the amp is turned off . . . "

The Peavey Delta Blues makes a "pop" sound from the speaker, as mine does, if the reverb control is not turned all the way off. While the amp doesn't "need" a standby switch, it "should" have one, if only for ultimate convenience. It seems like a case where an amp company wants to save a dollar, but maybe it's just something we'll eventually get used to.

• 1 month later...

Archived