Heritage Owners Club

Marshall Class5 5W 1x10 Tube Amp

koula901

a 5 watt tube amp is stupid loud IME, I still have my eye on a VHT special 6 . It's pretty much a Champ that can be easily tweaked .

Very huge opportunity for the owner to have that kind of topology inside. Don't be afraid to go big on parts quality (PIO tone caps and audiophile quality bypass caps, high quality resistors, etc) when tweaking because there aren't very many of them to begin with... Champ style circuit is among simplest type of tube guitar amp. Best to mod from the back end towards the front....starting with the OT.

I had not heard about the board issue... when this amp first came out there was a tube rattle issue that Marshall addressed... I have one of the newer ones & really like it. they can be had used for close to 300.00 & imo worth it.

I got one of the second version as soon as they came out. I have a lot of fun with it, but I wouldn't really do a gig with it. It's a great toy, but it's a one trick pony toy. Anythink past 9 o'clock on the volume breaks up, there's no clean headroom to speak of, and no versatility.

I got one of the second version as soon as they came out. I have a lot of fun with it, but I wouldn't really do a gig with it. It's a great toy, but it's a one trick pony toy. Anythink past 9 o'clock on the volume breaks up, there's no clean headroom to speak of, and no versatility.

That's why I didn't want one. I like the Marshall crunch, but I sometimes need more chime than crunch...

I have one and love it. I use it with my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The fender for clean and an A/B switch (Radial SwitchBone) to switch to the Marshall for dirty.

I've been GASing for one of these bad:

cornell_plexi7.jpg

http://www.dc-developments.com/cornell_plexi7_combo.htm

They're reasonably priced here....I can get a secondhand one for maybe 100 GBP more than a Class 5. So, PCB or handwired for a slight difference in price. Plus the Cornell has some cool features and killer sound. My dilemma? Do I take a used one now (almost all used ones for sale are older models which have three wattage modes: 7, 1, 1/4), or do I wait around and hope to snag a newer one with four wattage modes (7, 2, 1/4, 1/20)? Decisions, decisions!

Guest HRB853370

Bingo!! Thats what mics and monitors are for..I don't own an amp that is over 30 watts, and I almost never turn it up over 2 or 3..Especially the "Cavern Club" ..That thing has serious Cajones!! Cant wait to play out with it and run it through the full PA!! :icon_smile:

Your amp came with Cajones? And two of them at that? Damn, mine didn't come with any. I will have to get on KBP for shorting me on my shipment.

post-2130-0-54480800-1331121714.jpg

Guest HRB853370

what a great idea. the Marshall really does give a great dirty tone.

Koula, I bet my KBP Tweed Deluxe has a dirtier tone than that little Marshall. I bet Shundog will even agree.

Koula, I bet my KBP Tweed Deluxe has a dirtier tone than that little Marshall. I bet Shundog will even agree.

But I'll bet your KBP Tweed didn't come with Cajones! :biggrin_mini2:

It's not about "amount" of dirt...it's about flavour of dirt. To me, the Marshall sound (from clean to dirty) is the sound in my head. I tried to fight it, tried other amps....nothing worked. In the end, I had to give in....Marshall's are the only amp that REALLY do it for me now. Doesn't mean I don't love Vox amps, or Fenders....it's just that Marshalls are IT for me, especially clean.

Guest HRB853370

It's not about "amount" of dirt...it's about flavour of dirt. To me, the Marshall sound (from clean to dirty) is the sound in my head. I tried to fight it, tried other amps....nothing worked. In the end, I had to give in....Marshall's are the only amp that REALLY do it for me now. Doesn't mean I don't love Vox amps, or Fenders....it's just that Marshalls are IT for me, especially clean.

Which Marshall is your fave, the 100w plexi?

I also have an Ibanez TSA15. It has great distorted tones, but also stays clean at high volume if you want. I've used it for a couple of big band jazz shows with my Benedetto.

That is honestly a cool amp just reading about it. The price is pretty low. I hope to snag one at some point. That'd be a cool little get.

Thing is... I have a high dollar buy I'd really like to get out of the way before I get anything else. It will probably take me quite a while to get that high dollar buy too. :(

Yes, I DO agree, having played one of these in a GC recently; Not a bad little amp, but not half the amp the Tweed Deluxe is, IMHO.

I also agree with this; The Tweed Deluxe breaks up differently than any Marshall I've heard. Not better or worse, just differently. More "Fuzzily" by the time you have it dimed, if that makes any sense. It's got great grit and grind before it GETS fuzzy, but by the time it reaches Neil Young-Land, it's pretty damned fuzzy. I'd love a couple more small KBP amps, for the record. One, a Princeton Reverb, and the other a Marshall 18 Watt clone. We've casually discussed both; Now I just need to buckle down and make some dough to try to make one or the other happen before KBP either hangs it up or goes mainstream!!

Guest HRB853370

Yes, I DO agree, having played one of these in a GC recently; Not a bad little amp, but not half the amp the Tweed Deluxe is, IMHO.

I also agree with this; The Tweed Deluxe breaks up differently than any Marshall I've heard. Not better or worse, just differently. More "Fuzzily" by the time you have it dimed, if that makes any sense. It's got great grit and grind before it GETS fuzzy, but by the time it reaches Neil Young-Land, it's pretty damned fuzzy. I'd love a couple more small KBP amps, for the record. One, a Princeton Reverb, and the other a Marshall 18 Watt clone. We've casually discussed both; Now I just need to buckle down and make some dough to try to make one or the other happen before KBP either hangs it up or goes mainstream!!

Me too Brian, I need to get my orders in!! Seems like we all have Amp Gas lately.

If you use a strat like guitar, it stays much cleaner.

Right. Edit to add, I didn't mean that it wasn't SUPPOSED to get fuzzy; that's the design of the amps in the first place. Obviously, single coils won't drive it as hard. I've not played another amp that has as many tonal options with as few knobs as this Tweed Deluxe. EVERY type of guitar through it reveals new sonic bliss. As soon as I think my H-137 with P90s is IT, I try myTelecaster, and think that IT'S it, but then hearing an H-150 with Lindy Fralins.... AYE CARUMBA! Very satisfied.

Archived