Heritage Owners Club

High-gain + hollowbody feedback control

barrymclark

I can control classic feedback just fine but higher gain like triple rectifiers ....yeah. Even two rooms away it feeds back at high volume. Would DougsPlugs help here or are the carved 575s just too sensitive?

It definitely is not the unpotted pickups causing the problem. It is the guitar's body.

Dang, ther's a company that makes molded rubbery f-hole plugs that I think might be nc lacquer friendly. CRS! :icon_spiderman: Anybody know the name of that company that makes f hole plugs?

You mean Dougs Plugs? I mentioned them in the first post if so. Not sure if that'd do the trick. Don't wanna spend the dough if it really only takes the edge off for loud, clean playing. I am talking copious amounts of gain.

Now you know what BB King doesn't have F Holes. A sponge or towel should help you.

Yeah, my sealed Gretsch 6120 should be fine. It is the Heritage that howls like wolf in a full moon. Lots of difference between the two. Carved vs laminate and so on.

Yeah, my sealed Gretsch 6120 should be fine. It is the Heritage that howls like wolf in a full moon. Lots of difference between the two. Carved vs laminate and so on.

I responded in another thread that I would email Alex Sklonick for his advice. Being that he plays a 575 also, I would bet he will respond.

I also stated that the amount of GAIN is equally, if not more, an issue than the amount of volume.

I don't use gain on my hallow bodies, but I am actually amazed how loud I can get the volume with the solid maple top 575 vs my spruce top Golden Eagles. I think the gain, or rather the higher amount of gain, maybe your issue.

Gretsch began employing a "soundpost" under the bridge to connect the top and back plates, and still do this on most of their hollowbody models to this day. The idea was to help control feedback and add some sustain.

Gretsch then went even further and developed "trestle bracing" (like a railroad bridge crossing, longitudinally under the top braces) to further fight feedback and add more sustain.

At some point the traditional aspects of acoustic archtop design becomes a liability altogether, but for those of us trying to combat feedback (especially once distortion becomes a part of the sound) and still use the guitar we love it can be worth it.

At some point I just use my partsocaster plank guitar. But for anything less volume -or distortion- wise, I try to find a happy medium that will work.

In the past -for me- these have been covering the F-holes: foam rubber down the holes has been LESS effective in my experience, until you get enough in there that you seriously impede the top's freedom to move (which changes the sound a lot more than sealing off the F-holes).

i think that you can make the ghetto version of dougs plugs with some type of neoprene- like mouse pad material, or a flip flop or something. i've been led to believe they aren't that different. if you want a solution a little less sophisticated than wedging a flip flop into your guitar, some masking/gaffers tape might help. but then again, your guitar is nitro. so maybe not. if you must, try the least sticky tape you can find.

mess with your positioning. plug in and walk around. there should be a few spots where you have differing amounts of feedback, from some to none and most points inbetween. try facing away from the amp and putting your body in between the guitar and the amp.

Thanks, eor. I am actually looking at doing a ghetto plug that is basically a car wash sponge with a bit of mouse pad super glued to the top of it. That way, it doesn't have to be cut precisely and it will still have a normal-ish f-hole look and not as much like there is an odd dark spot where the f-holes ought to be. I have heard that the real reason for the feedback is the f-holes and not so much the hollow body. None the less, this would address both potential areas of feedback: it seals off the openings and acts like an absorbing sound post of sorts touching both the front and back of the guitar over the length of the f-hole.

Dang, ther's a company that makes molded rubbery f-hole plugs that I think might be nc lacquer friendly. CRS! :icon_spiderman: Anybody know the name of that company that makes f hole plugs?

Doug's Plugs - I have them in the 535 - really like them.

btw - I use the dougs plugs for high gain and it works just fine. There is, however, a point of no return with a ridiculous amount of high gain, that it will feedback. That said, you can still get a serious amount of gain and the plugs work well.

btw - I use the dougs plugs for high gain and it works just fine. There is, however, a point of no return with a ridiculous amount of high gain, that it will feedback. That said, you can still get a serious amount of gain and the plugs work well.
well, when I say hi-gain, mean like a wound out JCM800. Nothing by today's standards.

Well, I used my wampler superplex with a hot rod deluxe - the deluxe was set to somewhere between crunch and gain, and the wampler is like a marshall in a box pedal. I used enough gain to get controllable feed back - so, quite a bit of good gain. if the jcm800 is an '80s marshall, then that's the sound the wampler is voiced at. Now, I'm not talking about death metal.

Yep that's true at least in my experience..Even a solid body will feed back if you push it enough..I actually like the feedback my ASAT produces..Sounds better than my playing!! :icon_smile:

Well, I have pretty consigned myself to the notion that, unless I fill the guitar with pillow stuffing, it just likely won't work for what I want to do with it.

Crap. So.... no I have to dream about a 150 too. Damn it. :(

Well in the meantime you can turn it down a bit and still enjoy it!!

Well, I have pretty consigned myself to the notion that, unless I fill the guitar with pillow stuffing, it just likely won't work for what I want to do with it.

Crap. So.... no I have to dream about a 150 too. Damn it. :(

that's what got me dreaming of a 140 or 150

Archived