Heritage Owners Club

Heritages on Ebay

brentrocks

I think its more of a .... geez, not sure how to put it. Kinda like when you buy a car, then you suddenly start seeing that same model everywhere you look. You just weren't as aware of them before they became common in your own sphere. That make sense? Still, it's good for those that want a used one!

there is a little something for everybody.....lots of quality guitars on the block!!!!!

do you thinks its a gas enduced selloff?  or just people trading up?

I think we'll know if it's economy-related when people start selling at prices that are lower than what they might get otherwise.

I think we'll know if it's economy-related when people start selling at prices that are lower than what they might get otherwise.

John, didn't you suggest this possibility, e-Bay yielding a bunch of Heritages if the economy began to tank overtly, a few months ago?

Someone is selling a 525PTD on ebay right now.  These were only recently offered by Wolfe exclusively.  So, I'd definitely wager it's economy related. There seem to be a lot of nice guitars staying put on this site as well: http://www.archtop.com

Note the 575 they have.  I haven't ever seen that much inventory available on that site before.

John, didn't you suggest this possibility, e-Bay yielding a bunch of Heritages if the economy began to tank overtly, a few months ago?

I did.  And I think watching the selling prices is a good measure of how strapped people are.  If a seller's attitude is: "I could sell this now and use the money for something else, but I won't sell it for less than I paid (or less than it's worth)," that's one thing.  If the attitude is: "I need to get whatever I can out of this guitar because things are really bad," that's another.  It may be that the first of these attitudes eventually turns into the second, if there are few buyers out there.

So far, I see Heritages, but no real bargains.  When we begin seeing great guitars going at prices we know are too low, that's when we'll know there's real trouble out there.  My guess is that vintage prices will hang on, since the kinds of people who hold those guitars are often better able to wait out the market.  But guitars up to $2500 in value are vulnerable to a recession, since these are often owned by regular folks who don't have a lot of excess cash to fall back on.

Part of me is always looking for a bargain, but I'd hate to see that happen because somebody is really hurting.  It's a shame when folks have to think about selling off a guitar just to keep their finances afloat.

Pretty high drool quotient on that site, especially for an archtop junkie!

Indeed! I like the Johnny A. model, as well as the Guild they had in there. Stunning! Karma up for the link!

Indeed! I like the Johnny A. model, as well as the Guild they had in there. Stunning! Karma up for the link!

Umm...that is a very good price for a stoptail Johnny A. Signature in that condition.  IMHO the JA is the best thing Gibby has made in years...other than the CS-356, which is very similar, but shorter (normal) scale.

Most of the JA's are Bigsby'd and with less dramatic flame-tops than the one for sale.  8)

I ain't seein' anymore lefties than usual,  :afro:

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up: I stated earlier in this thread that we'd know things were in trouble with the economy when guitars start to sell under market value.  Judging from a few recent sales on ebay, I suspect we may be entering into that phase.  I've seen some Heritages go for a couple of hundred dollars under what they might have fetched a few months ago, though this could just be part of slow summer sales generally.

We'll have to see how this plays out, but there may be some bargains coming by fall.  Guitars are luxury items--especially for those of us with more than a few!--so they are a fairly easy and relatively painless sell-off opportunity for anyone feeling strapped for cash.  Stay tuned!

I've seen some Heritages go for a couple of hundred dollars under what they might have fetched a few months ago, though this could just be part of slow summer sales generally.

Maybe this is just the result of some stability returning to Parsons street ?  A year ago we were wondering

if there'd be any more Heritages made.  Now that things are back to normal there's less urgency to get

hold of one.

Paul P

Yep, or it could be just a blip.  We'll have to see.  I'm not sure that I'd be selling right now if I could help it, though.  And if you've got some money to buy another guitar, it might be smart to wait until gas hits $5 or more.

I think its more of a .... geez, not sure how to put it. Kinda like when you buy a car, then you suddenly start seeing that same model everywhere you look. You just weren't as aware of them before they became common in your own sphere. That make sense? Still, it's good for those that want a used one!

I think that seeing more of something after you have purchased one is a form of confirmation bias.  I also think it has a more specific name associated with it, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what it is at the moment.  Grrr.

i cant move my 162 or the ex terminator...those are rare and nice Heritages...its the economy for sure!!!

I'm not completely sure I agree that its mainly the economy.. I'm guessing that part of the trouble with your two (obviously fine guitars..) is that they're unusual enough that most people don't know what to make of 'em. FTM Heritage seems to mainly have a reputation (gained in their own right) with the more traditional LP shape and Archtops, and I'm guessing most people looking up Heritage are probably looking for those. When they see your two, they may not be what they're looking for.. I was actually eying your 162 with more than a little curiosity but really wanted a 535. Partly.. when looking at yours I was thinking.. I wonder what that would even sound like compared to what I already own/know about?

I think it's also partly due to the time of year. I've asked around, and the consensus seems to be that sales, in general, pick up in September. Summer's typically a slow time. That's okay. Frankly, my guitars are doing better than the stock market at holding their value. Even if they're sitting in a closet collecting dust they're collecting sometning...

Archived