Heritage Owners Club

HRW vs Seymour Duncan 59's

FrankS

I can't resist the urge to buy an H-150 after reading all the positive comments about Heritage guitars in general. I am a bit hesitant as I will have to buy over the internet and won't have a chance to play one first. What are the differences in in sound between the Seymour Duncan 59's and HRW pick ups? I know I can count on your help.

the HRWs are warmer and not as punchy as the 59s....little lower output, maybe?

the HRWs i had in the roy only measured 7.7 ohms bridge and 6.5 ohms neck

EDIT....that may not be completely accurate.....the HRWs do have punch, i guess thay are a clearer, cleaner pup

I can't resist the urge to buy an H-150 after reading all the positive comments about Heritage guitars in general. I am a bit hesitant as I will have to buy over the internet and won't have a chance to play one first. What are the differences in in sound between the Seymour Duncan 59's and HRW pick ups? I know I can count on your help.

Just finished installing '59's on a 157 to replace the stock Schallers, and sofar think it's an improvement. As far as I know the HRW is a souped up Schallers.

My (limited) experience is that It's really really hard to do direct comparisons. Each guitar, even with the same equipment is different, so you play one guitar with '59s and another of the same type with HRW's and wonder? Is the difference the guitar or the pickups, or both? I just went through this, trying to choose 59's or Seths for my 157, and quite frankly the 59's I chose from listening to them on other guitars, sound a little darker on my guitar..

My own personal opinion (once again... very limited), is that Heritage as a manufacturer prefers the more jazzy sound and hence went with the Shallers/HRW over Seemore DunkAns. If you are a jazz or blues player then my ear says go for the HRW's .. If you're more of a rocker, then I'd say go with the Duncan's. Let everyone else, shoot me down.. I don't care... I can take it  ;D

You asked for an opinion.. I gave you mine.. But for gods sake don't just take my word for it.. Keep asking around..

Thanks, guys. I know that describing the difference is not an easy task and that everyone hears things a little differently. I appreciate your opinions.  I was sent some pictures of a great looking H-150 with the dot on the switch which should indicate HRW pick ups. I e-mailed them asking what pickups were in it and they replied they were Schallers. I'm sure they must be mistaken. 

Frank, my crystal ball says you are going to love that guitar. 

Joe has 59's in his 150 and to me they sound a little darker than my stock Schallers. 

If the switch tip has a dot, then the pickups are indeed HRWs (unless they were changed out).

To me, the HRWs have more clarity than the other pickups. It's almost like taking a blanket off the front of the amplifier. YMMV!

I agree with pushover.  The '59s in my H150 came stock, I'm glad I have those and the HRWs, great pickups too, are in my semi-solid Millenium DC.

Nothing wrong with either, but if you are getting the solidbody then why not get the tone that they are famous for as delivered by the SDs?  (of course, the next arguement is why not get the solidbody with the soapbars, but...)

I find the HWRs in my H157 punchy, cremey sustain, bell-like ring depending on amp and guitar settings. The SD59's in my H150 are darker, more muted, growlier.  I would have guessed (haven't put the DVM to them while out of the guitar) that the HRWs are hotter wound.

Cheers, Cryoman

Yo Yo Yo,

I have a 555 with HRWs.  Liked them at first, them could not stand them, now I'm still not sure.

They are not my favorite.  I love the Seths.

Would I want all my guitars loaded with Seths?  At first thought - Hell yes, I'd say.

But it all depends what other guitars that you own.  Look at each as a tool with a different purpose.

I have 4 guitars that I play the most.  A ES125 with a P90, a 157 with Seths, a 555 with HRWs and a Strat with Lace Sensors.  Each has a totally different sound.

I have a 575 on order, still waiting, with Seths.

After all this wankery that we all deal with, I still maintain that the amp makes the most difference in sound.  It's the pairing of the guitar and amp that makes the difference.

Not a lot of help, I know, but I suppose what I'm saying is that if you have a variety of quality guitars and a couple different quality amps to choose from, it really doesn't matter, you can get a beautiful sound from any combination of them.

I keep all my guitars knobs on 10 and change the sound with the amp controls.

Hope this confuses you even more.   :afro:

Yo Yo Yo,

But it all depends what other guitars that you own.  Look at each as a tool with a different purpose.

After all this wankery that we all deal with, I still maintain that the amp makes the most difference in sound.  It's the pairing of the guitar and amp that makes the difference.

I think the idea of having different guitars for different purposes is a good way to look at this.. So perhaps if you tell us what you're looking to accomplish sound wise, that might get you better answers as to whether the HRW or 59 or seth is what you want.

As far as wankery is concerned.. I know what a wanker is.. I know what it is to have a wank.. (all the Brits can chime in here..).. But wankery just sounds like sensory overload.. and quite frankly I'm happier without the imagery that brings to mind.. Time to go find the woman to make myself feel better.. Who needs this wankery stuff!! Sheesh..

Great info from all you guys and I feel I can trust your opinions a little more than some other forums where the opinions are "whatever I have is best and if you don't think so then...". My one and only guitar right now is a Strat I bought new in 1979. After way too many years hiding under the bed I pulled it out and decided to start playing again. I even started going to lessons just over a year ago, mostly to learn the theory I never paid any attention to 35 years ago when I learned to play. My guitar teacher tells me my Strat is is the "stratiest" he has ever heard, by the way. I guess the Strat influence has me looking for for a good clean sound but also something that will get a little nastier. I love playing blues and classic rock like early Clapton/Cream, ZZTop, Creedence. I have also been looking at H-535's and keep changing my mind as to which would suit me better. Hope that info helps a little. 

Hey FrankS

My 150 came with seth's. Love them. Great classic rock and blues tones. ACDC, Cream, ZZ top. Also good for newer jangly alt pop. I dont use excess gain, only whats required.

As much as I like the seths, I took them out and tried 59's neck and bridge and a 59 and JB combination. Loved all combinations for all different reasons.

The jb and 59 gave it a more high gain thing and sounded great doing more metal type stuff. The 59 in the neck isnt to far removed from the seth tonally, it handles gain better and feels like it has more bottom end. Seymour Duncans own description says the 59 has more of a scooped mid. This might be why it feels like it has a bigger bass thing going on.

Ive also tried some prs p/ups in my 150. Yeeeuck. ;D

I now have seths back in my 150 and the JB and 59 in my PRS

The 59's will get you where you want to go imo. They clean up nicely(for what I need) and the 59 in the bridge is pure old school.

I use a jtm45 a fender concert and a mesa amp and the 59's sound great(classic) through them all. Clean or dirty.

Ive not tried the hrw's so I cant comment on those.

I have also been looking at H-535's and keep changing my mind as to which would suit me better.

Me and my friends play this era of music too.  You won't go wrong with either the 150 or a 535.  I prefer 535s as I can get my hand all the way up the neck where as I don't have that reach with a 150.  We both play through Fender amps and some times I have trouble telling the guitars apart.  Other times they each sound so differently. 

Me and my friends play this era of music too.  You won't go wrong with either the 150 or a 535.  I prefer 535s as I can get my hand all the way up the neck where as I don't have that reach with a 150.  We both play through Fender amps and some times I have trouble telling the guitars apart.  Other times they each sound so differently. 

If you're trying to decide between a 150 and a 535, check out a Millennium DC. 

Great info from all you guys and I feel I can trust your opinions a little more than some other forums where the opinions are "whatever I have is best and if you don't think so then...". My one and only guitar right now is a Strat I bought new in 1979. After way too many years hiding under the bed I pulled it out and decided to start playing again. I even started going to lessons just over a year ago, mostly to learn the theory I never paid any attention to 35 years ago when I learned to play. My guitar teacher tells me my Strat is is the "stratiest" he has ever heard, by the way. I guess the Strat influence has me looking for for a good clean sound but also something that will get a little nastier. I love playing blues and classic rock like early Clapton/Cream, ZZTop, Creedence. I have also been looking at H-535's and keep changing my mind as to which would suit me better. Hope that info helps a little. 

Hey FrankS,

If you're looking  for that early Clapton sound out of a 535, definitely try the SD 59's.  I think is fits the Crossroads era well for the Cream covers.  As for the 150, I defer to the others here to guide you.  As always, its key to consider the set up with the rest of your rig for the total sound you'll get.

I love the 59s in my 150. It sounds exactly what you want a les paul to sound like. Perfect!

I had two SD59 in my H150 either. Looked forward to be closer to vintage tone. SD59 in bridge was too open in sound and did not give enough bite to my taste. I like Gibson 57 Plus in bridge better now.

Sounds like ideally I need 2 or 3 Heritages. And now I see Jay Wolfe has a couple of nice H-535's with Seth Lovers. On the plus side I think I would be happy with any H-150 or H535. 

Sounds like ideally I need 2 or 3 Heritages. And now I see Jay Wolfe has a couple of nice H-535's with Seth Lovers. On the plus side I think I would be happy with any H-150 or H535. 

You can drive yourself nuts thinking like that  :BangHead:

It's true that no single guitar can do everything... And that's why idiots like me with more money than brains have several.. Can't play worth a durn, but at least when I'm looking for a certain sound, I can find it  :P

What do you primarily want to do? What sound are you looking for? What music do you play? What amps do you have? Do you play with effects, if so which ones? You started off asking about pickups, now you're worried about which guitar  ???

I think you'll be happy with either choice... Either one can cover a variety of music but you obviously want the one that matches what you play most.

Archived