Heritage Owners Club

Cream/Pearl Tuners

duaneallen

I wouldn't mind swapping the buttons out on the grovers, but I couldn't change them to the Kluson types unless I wanted more holes in the guitar...

they won't let the mojo out though so don't worry

• 3 weeks later...

Quite p.o.'d...a week out from PSP and I can't find my camera charger and spare battery. grrrrrrrr

Here are phone pics of the same mod, recently performed on my 535. One notable exception...these are the Aged Nickel Tonepros/Klusons.

3ac02133.jpg70cbdadb.jpg

For those of you who care, both the Grover tuners and the TonePro Klusons are made in Korea at best and China at worst.

If you want an American-made tuner you'll need to choose Sperzel or Waverly.

Were they always made there or was that a rather recent thing (past decade)?

1979, according to this guy:

http://www.doctorvin...over_diffs.html

Kluson tuners supposedly went overseas in the Eighties.

Cool stuff Jack! As a metal stamping guy, competing against off shore suppliers for years, I love this stuff.

For the record, I contacted TonePros/Kluson. The tuners are manufactured in Korea at this time.

Additionally....SUPPOSEDLY, when TonePros purchased Kluson, they re-engineered the old skool tuner to be a modern sealed mechanism in the old case, maintaining cosmetic integrity but vastly improving function. I've never owned older Klusons. I will say that I really like the feel of these new tuners on my 535. They seem great. There was no problem with the Grovers that were on there, I'm just going for a circa 61 vibe on my guitar, and chose the TPK's.

Is there an American Made source for TOM hardware? WE all use the TonePros (Korea), Faber (Germany) Gotoh (Korea)....what else?

Is there an American Made source for TOM hardware? WE all use the TonePros (Korea), Faber (Germany) Gotoh (Korea)....what else?

There is. Callaham makes a milled-from-stainless-steel TOM bridge with studs and tailpiece. No tailpiece studs available. I ordered a set for a guitar I'm having hand-built and I was impressed right out of my socks. Even at $250 for the TOM and tailpiece, it looks like a solid value.

http://www.callahamguitars.com/#gibson_tailpiece

In the flesh, this stuff looks GOOD.

There is. Callaham makes a milled-from-stainless-steel TOM bridge with studs and tailpiece. No tailpiece studs available. I ordered a set for a guitar I'm having hand-built and I was impressed right out of my socks. Even at $250 for the TOM and tailpiece, it looks like a solid value.

http://www.callahamg...ibson_tailpiece

In the flesh, this stuff looks GOOD.

Callaham. Sure that make sense. Look forward to hearing about the rest of that guitar, Jack.

• 2 months later...

The TonePros Klusons are awesome tuners, TPKB3 are direct replacements for Grover Rotomatics (10mm holes). The TP have a 15:1 ratio, very solid feel and supposedly TITANIUM internal gears (I have not been able to confirm this yet but multiple vendors state this in their marketing specs).

Archived