Heritage Owners Club

Joyo Pedals

While doing some research, I found a company called Joyo. There was some controversy with a company named Freekish Blues that apparently purchased Joyo pedals, did some modifications, and repainted/labeled the pedals. The pedals in question are mysteriously discontinued. Joyo pedals can be had on Ebay for around $40 shipped. Freekish Blues did their thing and up-charged them to around $150+.

But back to my point, has anyone purchased or tried any of the Joyo's? I'm considering purchasing a couple of their pedals, but finding the mod's Freekish Blues did is darn near impossible.

Any thoughts on the pedals?

Some guys I speak to tried a couple of Joyo's out recently and were not impressed. However, our ears are all looking for different things in sound so Joyo may suit you. Try one out.

Doesn't Koula (Katie) have a freakish blues pedal? Or did ... I think.

I believe she does. I don't want to knock the pedals. But I'd be really happy if I could figure out the differences between the two pedals to improve the tone...

I have the Ultimate Drive,the one cloned by Freekass Blues, which is an OCD clone and a Vintage Overdrive, a tubescreamer clone. For the outlay they are really good.

There are several threads on TDPRI, most users are impressed with them. Another pedal company, Toxic Pedals was recently found to be using Joyo pedals as the basis for it's boutique pedals and quadrupling to cost to consumers.

Must be something about them if they are so popular with these companies.

http://www.toxicpedals.com/

http://freestompboxe...php?f=7&t=16287

First - the Freakish Blue pedals are still available. The guy still pimps them from time to time over at TGP.

Second - there are several guys modding the Joyo Ultimate drive. You can either get one new from them that has been modified, or buy one your self and send it to them. Look in the builders emporium over at TGP to find some of the modifiers.

Third - I bought both the Alpha Drive (before the story was out) and the Ultimate Drive (which I've had modified by one of the afforementioned builder at TG). The stock Ultimate Drive didn't do anything for me at all - very harsh imho.

Fourth - The modified Ultiamte Drive sounds very much like the Aplha Drive. It, like the Alpha Drive, sound great into some amps (black face fenders for instance) and not so great into others (Dr. Z carmen Ghia).

Fifth - I could be convinced to part with either the Alpha Drive or the modded Ultimate Drive.

Sixth - Thanks Ken (a little TGP humor).

I'm not looking for any of their Alpha or Ultimate Drive pedals. There are two of their pedals I'm looking at, first being the Ultimate Octave and Joyo Digital Delay.... My Digitech Bad Monkey is really good for what I use it for.

I've got the Alplha Drive and I love it. Did I pay too much for it - yes. It appears that the Ultimate Drive and Alpha can be adjusted to sound the same, so, I suppose if I had known better, I might have gotten the Ultimate. Having said that, I do like the darker tone of the Alpha. Secondly I did also buy the Freakish Blues Chubb Up (fuzz). This, too, is a Joyo pedal that he modified. Just for shits and giggles, I eventually picked up the Joyo pedal that Chubb Up is based on. Let me tell you, they don't sound anything alike - the Joyo is harsher, and whatever he did to the Chubb UP made it sound fantastic.

As the guy says in the vid, above, companies do this all the time - but people accept it because the company is usually up front, and they say that they're starting out with, say, a TS 8 circuit but they modify it, and sell their new version of it. People object to what FB did, because he never said it was based on the Joyo pedals. Unfair, though it may seem, and it is; whatever mods he's done ends up making a great sounding pedals that I really like - they're just, well, too expensive. Happy ending to the Joyo pedal that the Chubb Up was based on - I only used it once, to compare the sound, then I traded it to GC. Later, the guys at GC said it broke a week later! It was working when I traded it to them. My Chubb Up and Alpha have held up.

I bought the Ultimate Octave pedal a few weeks back. It's a lot of fun, but a bit of a one trick pony.

I tried the Mod of turning a couple caps and swapping a couple caps to get more range from the pedal. Much more involved than expected due to the messy wave soldering. Anyhow, the cables to the switch came loose and I still need to put it back on (need pin out) so I'm not sure the difference it will make.

I've got the Alplha Drive and I love it. Did I pay too much for it - yes. It appears that the Ultimate Drive and Alpha can be adjusted to sound the same, so, I suppose if I had known better, I might have gotten the Ultimate. Having said that, I do like the darker tone of the Alpha. Secondly I did also buy the Freakish Blues Chubb Up (fuzz). This, too, is a Joyo pedal that he modified. Just for shits and giggles, I eventually picked up the Joyo pedal that Chubb Up is based on. Let me tell you, they don't sound anything alike - the Joyo is harsher, and whatever he did to the Chubb UP made it sound fantastic.

As the guy says in the vid, above, companies do this all the time - but people accept it because the company is usually up front, and they say that they're starting out with, say, a TS 8 circuit but they modify it, and sell their new version of it. People object to what FB did, because he never said it was based on the Joyo pedals. Unfair, though it may seem, and it is; whatever mods he's done ends up making a great sounding pedals that I really like - they're just, well, too expensive. Happy ending to the Joyo pedal that the Chubb Up was based on - I only used it once, to compare the sound, then I traded it to GC. Later, the guys at GC said it broke a week later! It was working when I traded it to them. My Chubb Up and Alpha have held up.

Any chance you can show us the insides of the Chubb Up? They don't make them any more which prompted me to bid on the Joyo. I really hoped the Freekish Blues people would admit it and let us know what the mod's were. Even if the goup up the components they changed, KBP can probably figure it out without damaging anything.... I'd like the Ultimate Ocative to be exactly like a Chubb Up....

Good news is I was getting some buyers remorse, and luckily, someone out bid me, but I suspect there is a little scam going as there are several joyo ultimate octives with no bids. I picked one randomly and I was outbid. No other pedals are being bid on except this one. Oh well... Just really need a delay anyway.

Good news is I was getting some buyers remorse, and luckily, someone out bid me, but I suspect there is a little scam going as there are several joyo ultimate octives with no bids. I picked one randomly and I was outbid. No other pedals are being bid on except this one. Oh well... Just really need a delay anyway.

I think my suspected scam was right. For some reason, I have a second chance offer on the pedal... What's even more crazy is someone around my area posted a listing for every Joyo pedal made, all at the going buy it now rate on Ebay....

• 4 weeks later...

I am new here ... and I do not want to get banned... but let me just say we sell alot of these pedals, the JOYO brand is one we carry, and we really like them for the money they cannot be beat. A few have found a place on my pedal board and never left, the Ultimate Overdrive and the AC tone are amazing. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions...or just want to welcome a new member.

I am new here ... and I do not want to get banned... but let me just say we sell alot of these pedals, the JOYO brand is one we carry, and we really like them for the money they cannot be beat. A few have found a place on my pedal board and never left, the Ultimate Overdrive and the AC tone are amazing. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions...or just want to welcome a new member.

Or .. we could welcome you here. :-) Just an fyi, but you really got to work on getting banned from the HOC. 5 yrs on and we've banned 1 member that I know of. We have several members here that are either dealers or work in the industry. Nice to have some insider perspective. So .. PT ... Welcome to the HoC. :thumbsup:

Or .. we could welcome you here. :-) Just an fyi, but you really got to work on getting banned from the HOC. 5 yrs on and we've banned 1 member that I know of. We have several members here that are either dealers or work in the industry. Nice to have some insider perspective. So .. PT ... Welcome to the HoC. :thumbsup:

+1

Yeah welcome! If you've got a site or link I can put on my destop let me know I'm a gear addict.

He sent me a link...

www.pedaltrader.com

Yeah he sent me one too. I have the Joyo Octave Fuzz that I ordered for my bass player. It's at the post office but with good friday I can't pick it up till Monday, I'll let you know how it works with guitar and bass as soon as I get to play with it.

Ok, I checked out your site, and I want to thank you for sending Detriot the link. The Joyo pedal demos sounds pretty darn good. I was even impressed with the compressor, and for some reason I'm really nit picky when it comes to compression.

I have a feeling I'm going to be losing some of my pay check to you all very soon :)

Archived