Heritage Owners Club

Where have I seen that H110 before?

Sparky

Sparky:

Good catch.  The Eastwood is itself modeled after the Ovation Ultra GP, a guitar that has a cult following.  There's a great website about it: www.junkguitars.com/stories/ovation.html

gp9.JPG

I'm not making a claim that the Heritage is a copy of the Ovation, or a copy of the Eastwood that IS overtly a "tribute" to the Ovation, but it reinforces my lack of enthusiasm for either of the "new" Heritage solid body designs.  Just don't find them either aesthetically compelling nor do they seem likely to me to attract a new set of buyers, except perhaps for a few "complete set" collectors out there.

The histories of Gibson talk about the old days when guitar manufacturers were driven to offer their retailers new designs at NAMM, just as car manufacturers had to offer their dealers visually-distinguishable new models every year.  Guitar designs were therefore more often about "sheet metal" and price point than any real advance in tone, playability, or reliability.  It didn't work in the long term for Detroit, and I can't see it working for K'zoo.  I wish the Heritage guys would focus on t/p/r, or models that draw on their legitimate claim to the Gibson tradition like the "23."  I can, however, understand that it probably is a whole lot more fun to play around at the bandsaw. 

78 Ibanez cn ;D

width=600 height=470http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll284/lostcause_05/seymour110.jpg[/img]width=360 height=480http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll284/lostcause_05/ibanez-19.jpg[/img]

If heritage is trying to break into the strat market wouldn't they fit these with at least a neck single coil and some sort of tremolo?

ooppss

i meant, strat shape ;D

So...how many playable permutations of upper bout, lower bout, cutaways, neck, and headstock are there, anyway?  The 150, 535, 575, and Eagles are iconic!  How many icons is one generation expected to produce?  How many of us, in pursuing our own creative efforts, wind up playing something clearly derivative just about every time we tune up?  Given the slab of wood on the table over there, the bandsaw over here, the fact he's been doing this for fifty years, and the Sirens of business and marketing constantly beckoning one's ship to the rocks, the temptations are rather obvious, aren't they? 

I think the "Whale," or the "Can Opener," or the "Rhino," or whatever it is, is not a guitar I'll buy from Heritage, nor anyone else, although I'd love to spec a 110.  I think I understand where both came from, and applaud the boys for having a couple of ideas and the fortitude (if that's the right term) to cut them, finish them, and to take them to NAAM.   

So...how many playable permutations of upper bout, lower bout, cutaways, neck, and headstock are there, anyway?  The 150, 535, 575, and Eagles are iconic!  How many icons is one generation expected to produce?  How many of us, in pursuing our own creative efforts, wind up playing something clearly derivative just about every time we tune up?  Given the slab of wood on the table over there, the bandsaw over here, the fact he's been doing this for fifty years, and the Sirens of business and marketing constantly beckoning one's ship to the rocks, the temptations are rather obvious, aren't they? 

I think the "Whale," or the "Can Opener," or the "Rhino," or whatever it is, is not a guitar I'll buy from Heritage, nor anyone else, although I'd love to spec a 110.  I think I understand where both came from, and applaud the boys for having a couple of ideas and the fortitude (if that's the right term) to cut them, finish them, and to take them to NAAM.   

Believe me, I'm certainly not criticizing the good ship Heritage. I intend to buy an H110. I'm not keen on the Eastwood version (I can have it in any color I want, as long as its black), and I'm fairly certain Ibanez didn't make lefties of that model. Even if they did, I'm sure they are few and far between. As far as the "Whale" is concerned, I think we all agree its not going to break any sales records (unless the latest guitar god starts to use it as in the case of the Eastwood), but it may become collectable due to rarity. I'm guessing they sell 50 or less.

Just for the record, I would buy the Rhino, with the pickguard--especially if it's a one-of-a-kind.

Ren, are you reading this?  :wink:

So John, does that admission make you an iconoclast...or not? :wink:  And don't we all  wonder, occasionally, if Ren is reading?  Ren?  Ren....

Every instrument I own, owned or will ever own would be considered a classic design. Classic does not  need to be old, but different and with a purpose. Form, function and elegance. I see stuff designed for shock value or to avoid patent infringement or just to be something new. Something just looks wrong to me.

The first F's and G's, Ricks and Martins became ICONS possibly because they completely filled our sonic needs and dreams for the times and the music we wanted to play or would be playing. It's far from easy. It takes more than talent and desire to come up with a winning new design. By putting together the wish lists from HOC members you get the sum of the parts, but no guaranteed classic. Must be tough for Heritage to compete against their own proven designs perfectly executed. 

You could say that they're all going after the PRS market, perhaps.  I love the idea of a doublecut with proper Les Paul specs and more pronounced upper horn than the traditional ones.  To me, traditional DC's with the strap pin on the neck heel never balance correctly and have the neck sitting too far to my left.  That's one reason I've never gotten along with SGs, also.

Create an "H-117" version with ebony board and blocks, and I'm way the heck too tempted.  :)

I must confess, though, that the upper horn sculpting could stand to be a little swoopier...

Archived