Heritage Owners Club

Amp Stands...

Blue_Milk_Crate.jpg

I like.

I think within the next few weeks I'm going to be using a 2X12 cabinet for an amp stand! So far I think I'm going to use a Celestion 7080 and a Weber alnico.

I've since learned the amp stand is nice to reach the controls, but I'd rather keep it on the floor. Recently I saw a line up of KWS gear, and all his amps, even his tiny champs, were all on the floor...

But keep in mind that most often he's playing on stages large enough that he isn't as close as most of us who play on small stages or at home, so his amps aren't firing at his ankles. In addition most often on large stages like that the amps get miked and run through the stage monitors so amp placement is less critical.

I can see the value in an amp stand and have used them before. Things from any available chair or plastic crate like the one pictured above.

I dont notice the loss of bass so much with a mic on the speaker whether recording or doing a gig. I think its just something thats percieved by the ear and not the mic. I could be wrong though.

I dont use a stand any more. A while ago I determined to understand how my amp sounded regardless of positioning, so that where ever I wandered to on the stage i would still be able to understand and be reassured that my amp sounded alright. It was also an exercise in not being rooted to one spot, probably the main point of the exercise actually.

I hated the dependancy on being with in a certain proximity to the amp and wanted to break it. Also hate the sound of an amp pointed straight at my ears. I find it really fatiguing and annoying.

two great things happened, one was I know the amp sounds great even if Im a distance from it and its pointed away from me. I know it has the right amount of treble even if Im standing next to the bass player on the other side of the stage and all I can hear is a quiet muffled approximation of the sound

the second great thing was to finally get a wireless that I liked that let me wander around and check out front of house and general band spill out front. It put to rest any anxiety about my sound or how it was being projected and heard by others.

I know some people have to have there amp pointed at their head for different reasons some of it being a saftey net or comfort thing some of it being an interactive player gear thing. I just hate the sound and effect of my amp or someone elses pointed at my head.

About a year ago we tried out a couple of guitar players at different times and both bought an amp stand for their combo. The first thing that happened was the singer wanted more fold back for her voice, the bass/keyboard player turned up a notch and the drummer used heavier sticks and turned up his monitor. I know there was an extra instrument on stage so perceived volume would increase but as soon as I had them stick there amps on the floor pointing straight ahead everyone else turned back down. I know one of the guitarists was put out by being asked to take his amp off the stand and probably rightfully so. he did let me know what a arrogant tosser I was for trying to dictate how he should use his gear and how he couldnt find his sound and how he couldnt hear himself blah blah blah, but truthfully I think hes had the speaker pointed at his ear to long and he had lost all his high frequency hearing because he had so much bite, treble and presence dialed into the amp it could poke your eye out at 60 paces. It didnt add to the sound of the band. he stood alone in his white hot beam of upper mids and treble.

Anyway, just a rambling alternate point of veiw.

But keep in mind that most often he's playing on stages large enough that he isn't as close as most of us who play on small stages or at home, so his amps aren't firing at his ankles. In addition most often on large stages like that the amps get miked and run through the stage monitors so amp placement is less critical.

He also uses a sheild too to keep the stage volume from blasting him off it. He used to use three or four Fender Twins, but he's been cutting back since he relies on monitors instead now...

I can see the value in an amp stand and have used them before. Things from any available chair or plastic crate like the one pictured above.

I dont notice the loss of bass so much with a mic on the speaker whether recording or doing a gig. I think its just something thats percieved by the ear and not the mic. I could be wrong though.

I dont use a stand any more. A while ago I determined to understand how my amp sounded regardless of positioning, so that where ever I wandered to on the stage i would still be able to understand and be reassured that my amp sounded alright. It was also an exercise in not being rooted to one spot, probably the main point of the exercise actually.

I hated the dependancy on being with in a certain proximity to the amp and wanted to break it. Also hate the sound of an amp pointed straight at my ears. I find it really fatiguing and annoying.

two great things happened, one was I know the amp sounds great even if Im a distance from it and its pointed away from me. I know it has the right amount of treble even if Im standing next to the bass player on the other side of the stage and all I can hear is a quiet muffled approximation of the sound

the second great thing was to finally get a wireless that I liked that let me wander around and check out front of house and general band spill out front. It put to rest any anxiety about my sound or how it was being projected and heard by others.

I know some people have to have there amp pointed at their head for different reasons some of it being a saftey net or comfort thing some of it being an interactive player gear thing. I just hate the sound and effect of my amp or someone elses pointed at my head.

About a year ago we tried out a couple of guitar players at different times and both bought an amp stand for their combo. The first thing that happened was the singer wanted more fold back for her voice, the bass/keyboard player turned up a notch and the drummer used heavier sticks and turned up his monitor. I know there was an extra instrument on stage so perceived volume would increase but as soon as I had them stick there amps on the floor pointing straight ahead everyone else turned back down. I know one of the guitarists was put out by being asked to take his amp off the stand and probably rightfully so. he did let me know what a arrogant tosser I was for trying to dictate how he should use his gear and how he couldnt find his sound and how he couldnt hear himself blah blah blah, but truthfully I think hes had the speaker pointed at his ear to long and he had lost all his high frequency hearing because he had so much bite, treble and presence dialed into the amp it could poke your eye out at 60 paces. It didnt add to the sound of the band. he stood alone in his white hot beam of upper mids and treble.

What a pretentious sounding load of crap

What a pretentious sounding load of crap

I don't know about that ... but, to me, there is no point in a stand unless you are intent on controlling stage volume. I actually agree that some amps (some speakers, in particular) are really shrill if you are standing right in front of them, but, if you keep the stage volume down and leave the mix to the sound guy, I'm pretty convinced you can contribute to holding down the competition for everyone to hear "more of me" in the monitors. Then again, I've tended to play in bands with a lot of people on stage and not much room for moving around, and a lot of potential for stage volume to get out of control. So, having the amp serve as a monitor didn't limit mobility --none anyway-- and did improve hearing.

If you are going to put an amp on a stand and crank it ...yeah, you are just putting your amp into the front line mics, and a lot of volume directly into your ears ... and that's not helping anybody.

Plus, to be honest, my most influential guitar teacher, who snuck me into bars to hear his band play when I was 15, played with his amp on a chair, and that's the way I learned it was done. It was cool then ,,, and it's cool now. Your mileage may vary.

I don't know about that ... but, to me, there is no point in a stand unless you are intent on controlling stage volume. I actually agree that some amps (some speakers, in particular) are really shrill if you are standing right in front of them, but, if you keep the stage volume down and leave the mix to the sound guy, I'm pretty convinced you can contribute to holding down the competition for everyone to hear "more of me" in the monitors. Then again, I've tended to play in bands with a lot of people on stage and not much room for moving around, and a lot of potential for stage volume to get out of control. So, having the amp serve as a monitor didn't limit mobility --none anyway-- and did improve hearing.

If you are going to put an amp on a stand and crank it ...yeah, you are just putting your amp into the front line mics, and a lot of volume directly into your ears ... and that's not helping anybody.

Plus, to be honest, my most influential guitar teacher, who snuck me into bars to hear his band play when I was 15, played with his amp on a chair, and that's the way I learned it was done. It was cool then ,,, and it's cool now. Your mileage may vary.

Yeppy..I was taught that a band was a team effort..When I was young I was arrogant and thought I had to be the loudest..Now that I'm older and know that I basically suck, I usually have people asking me to turn up some..(that sounds like false modesty doesn"t it?) But one thing I do know now is when to let someone else have the spotlight..

Guest HRB853370

Great idea!!

003-7.jpg

This is my amp stand...

I have the identical stand, but I set the amp up on it, not on the floor!!

To add to that, I've found that although my tone might be great standing right on top of my amp, it might be shit if I get out where the crowd is. The only real bonus to an amp stand that I can see is if your on a stage head level with the crowd. then tilting back will keep it from overpowering them.

I have discovered a couple times that what sounded great from 3 feet away sounded really harsh from a distance, add ing mids and taking off treble sounded good at a distnce but sounded crappy up close. I think what I sounded like to the listeners is most important so a wireless is a great toneshaper as much as a good pickup or stompbox. Of course, if you have a dedicated soundguy then no worries!

Archived