Heritage Owners Club

Sadowsky 'Jimmy Bruno' vs. H575...And The Winner Is...???

Gitfiddler

OK, that's not really a fair fight, but you get the point.   :)

Yesterday, a good buddy and GREAT jazz guitarist and teacher, came over with two archtop cases under his arms.  One was a painfully beautiful, brand spanking new Sadowsky 'Jimmy Bruno' in Violin Burst.  The other was an Almond Burst, H575, custom ordered with a solid Spruce top, and what appeared to be a Duncan (?) in the neck, ebony fretboard with no inlays.

We played these guitars as well as my Sweet 16 and H575, and a variety of other guitars for over 4 hours.  We plugged them into my Fender SF Deluxe Reverb and Blues Jr. and grinned like two Cheshire Cats.  Man, I was in archtop heaven.

The Jimmy Bruno is a Sadowsky designed laminated archtop, made in Japan with final finishing and set up by Sadowsky.  It is very lightweight (approx. 7lbs) and resonant.  My buddy's has the original Sadowsky round wounds on it and the guitar rang like an acoustic guitar!  It did not feel, play or sound like a laminated archtop.  It was much better.  When plugged in she really shined however.  The tones were rich, lush and articulate through its custom designed DiMarzio PAF's.  It's the kind of guitar that encourages the player to stretch out...play faster...try to copy your favorite jazzer.  We both concluded that this was a perfectly made guitar for live jazz applications.

Next up was the Spruce top H575.  It did everything the Sadowsky could do, only with more tonal girth.  Basically, it was a fat, warm jazz box that sounded wonderful both acoustically and amplified.  I did get the top moving a bit and the demon feedback monster kicked in.  But overall, it was all that and a bag of chips so to speak. 

Then came the H575 (see avatar) with HRW's, rosewood board, solid guilt/flamey maple.  It killed the Sadowsky dead on the spot for tone and feel...period.  It was also the most tonally rich sounding of the bunch.  It is one of those guitars that just plain 'has it going on'!!

The Kent Armstrong PAF-loaded Sweet 16 was no slouch either.  Not only did it take the prize for the most 'pimped-out' gitfiddle at this particular party, it had more tonal variations than either of the other gits.  It was a bit brighter due to the 25.5" scale, and had a bit of woody, midrange bump, but could easily cop Wes, Martino, Pass or Burrell.

At the end of the day, I asked my friend the approximate price for the Sadowsky.  If you can get one, they cost $4,000 and upwards, depending on how optioned out the buyer wants it.  That's street price.

As much as I enjoyed playing the Jimmy Bruno and could easily see myself playing one live, the entry fee is a bit too steep for me vs. what else is out there.  And definitely I would stick with my Heritage babes...and just try to avoid the feedback demon as much as possible.

Finally, after 4 hours of lessons, playing, talking guitars and theory, I needed both a cigarette (even though I don't smoke!) and an aspirin.  My head was spinning and my face was smiling broadly.  Overall, that was a great afternoon!   8)

http://sadowsky.com/guitars/bruno_archtop.html

sounds like a really good time to me!!

i have a feeling that on July 18, after the tour, a lot of guitar swapping/trying will take place

That's right, Brent!  That's right!  The "wife-swapping" is just about half the reason I'm coming up!  Always happy to let like-minded cats have a spank...love to watch and listen to other players take a turn with mine.  Never sounds like me, but that's the idea....

And your "review" was fun to read, 'fiddler!  I think it captured the feel of the afternoon quite well.  All that was missing for me was just a touch of eighteen-year-old Scotch.  Karma up for a very nicely written piece!          ;D

Archived