Heritage Owners Club

Recommended adhesive for tolex

I got a couple of baffles I'm gonna cover this weekend with some tolex. For those of you that have done this, what easily attainable adhesive do you recommend? Ideally, I'd like for this to something I can get from Home Depot or Auto Zone or the like.

Thanks!

Here's the definitive word from my pal Ken Jones, who's a member (though infrequent poster - way busy) here, and builds cabinets for Greg Germino, Megatone harp and guitar amps, Bitar Amplifiers (I have two of those) and built for Bob Reinhardt and Caesar Diaz, and does amazing restoration work. Ken says us 3M Flexweld 30 NF adhesive. Use a brush to coat both the wood and the tolex, and let both dry. Then be very "deliberate" about applying the tolex to the wood surface. If you screw up, you can apply a hair drier and move the tolex around a little. Good luck with your project.

Guest HRB853370

I got a couple of baffles I'm gonna cover this weekend with some tolex. For those of you that have done this, what easily attainable adhesive do you recommend? Ideally, I'd like for this to something I can get from Home Depot or Auto Zone or the like.

Thanks!

Where can you purchase Tolex from?

Mojotone makes specific tolex glue, and it's really easy to work with, meaning, forgiving. It's a little pricy, but it's great stuff.

http://www.mojotone.com/other/Adhesives/Mojotone-TruGlu-Tolex-and-Tweed-Glue-1-Quart

Guest HRB853370

Mojotone makes specific tolex glue, and it's really easy to work with, meaning, forgiving. It's a little pricy, but it's great stuff.

http://www.mojotone....ed-Glue-1-Quart

Ahh yes Mojotone, in Burgaw NC. They make great aftermarket harnesses with pots, and also do pickup rewinding. I have their harness in my Cherry 535.

And things come full circle. Ken, the guy I mentioned above, helped Andy get Mojotone started. Ken grew up in Hickory, in the furniture industry, which thrived but is all but gone around here, now. Ken, and the luthier I'm apprenticing with, Tom, built all of Andy's cabinets, here, in Winston Salem, before Andy moved down near Wilmington.... Will, the guy (can't remember his name, Tom knows him) who, until recently, wound Mojotone's p'ups has gone out on his own. A really fine PRS came into the shop about two months ago, with this guy's pickups (humbuckers) in it. I had a chance to play it for a while. The pickups are extremely good!

Archived