Heritage Owners Club

Just ordered a new 1 x 12 Combo

I know the feeling...:-)

BTW, Bass the way that you like it clean can sound awful when overdriven. Based on what you describe, your Carr Rambler must be one of your favorites. I would think that with 6L6s and large PT/OT and well designed cabinet that it would have the fullness that you seek. What style of music do you play? I play both straight ahead jazz and some blues. I prefer my solid state amp for that type of music and my tube amps for blues.

LOL, I do tend towards a certain kind of sound don't I. No idea why, just like it. On the Lobo at low volumes, very full, with nice rounded bass, and lots of overtones. To me, that is a full sound. I really like a good clean bass bottom to my chords - similar to an acoustic I guess. For the rest, I want to hear more than just the notes played, I want to hear a fullness, or richness, which I describe as overtones. Then I want to hear articulate distinctive notes. Once I get that, then I will add an overdrive to get growl and sustain. I also like an overdrive that "sings" or has a saturated tone. Hope that helps.

p.s. Interesting that just trying to describe it makes me think about what it is I'm hearing that I like.

b9425e80bce34881a2fc4cc3adcc6423.JPG

cbdb6bca3dba4a23ae9d6c0e4f200010.JPG

I love a small amp that can do it all..... that looks like some great stuff..

+100000

I'd be interested to hear what about the Lobo that you were liking so much? Amp sound and feel is always difficult to describe.

As I recall, it is a 6V6, BF Fender AB763/ Deluxe Reverb (none in your case) type amp. The BluesMachine is Henry's take on a 6L6 Fender Tweed circuit with some extra preamp drive. The Two Rock is a single channel 6L6 that I have heard has incredible headroom and excels at cleans (not sure what circuit it is based upon). The Rambler is Steve Carr's take on a 6L6 based Fender BF circuit that also excels at headroom and cleans. The amps may have very different speakers as well.

The Lobo is lower wattage and is using different power tubes. Perhaps you are able to get it into its sweet spot easier than the other amps? Who knows. You are fortunate to have so many great amps to use. Price has very little to do with tone in many occasions. I have a friend who buys up Silverface Fender Bandmaster heads for $300-$400 and has a local guy mod them for a few hundred and they sound fabulous!

So those are very different amps to compare. It may come down to what YOU are looking for from an amp which may differ base don style of play, musical genre and size of venue that you play. What type of music do you like to play?

Thanks,

Bob

So what you're saying, we should just buy KMP amps and save a bunch of money over these models...

Some folks might be happier with that rig. It depends what floats your boat. There are no absolutes in the euphonic maze called music.

:-)

So what you're saying, we should just buy KMP amps and save a bunch of money over these models...

The Red Plate stuff is cutting edge top end boutique...way to go! See if you can find a lightly used old stock RCA 7025 shortplate for V1. ;)

Or better yet the slightly earlier RCA shortplate 12AX7As. A lot people mistake them as the same tube, but the 12AX7As sound more 3D and fuller than the RCA 7025 shortplates. YVMV

Don,

Thanks for your response and sharing your demo link. Based on how you judge amps I can imagine that a Rambler must be a perfect match for you (great cleans and takes pedals well to boot). I too look for punch or attack as well in amps.

Here is the manual for the BlackVerb Standard. It has a different pre-amp circuit and EQ:

http://www.redplatea...tions_Guide.pdf

Here is a demo of the BlackVerb Standard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VtKv3XHTGc&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL3D2331E16198A116

I would give Henry a call. He is a gem of a guy and he might have some ideas on how to make you happier with it? I don't think he would mind. I think that he want's his customers to be happy.

Thanks Again,

Bob

Man that amp is just SICK!! the thing that stands out to my ears anyway, is that no matter what mode, or what channel, TONS OF SUSTAIN!! with a Tele no less..Sweet!!

Yeah, it sounds like it has both the chimey, BF tones, but also has the ability to really sing as well when overdriven. I am however sure that much of the goodness in the demo is Chuck D'Aloia who plays with finess and great touch.

• 5 weeks later...

Some folks might be happier with that rig. It depends what floats your boat. There are no absolutes in the euphonic maze called music.

I've discovered that on almost a daily basis.... the quest for tone has no Garden of Eden...

Guest HRB853370

Hi,

I just placed an order for a new 1 x 12 combo. I love my BF (Allen Accomplice Head + Cab) and my Tweed (Lil-Dawg D-Lux Head + Cab) but they tak up too much room and I was looking for more tones from a small single combo amp. I also want to down size my OD pedals as well. I placed an order with a small amp builder (Henry Heistand) in AZ who sells amps under the name Red Plate.

I ordered an amp called a BlackVerb Standard which is a two channel, master volume, BF style circuit with a very flexible EQ and tone stack. Henry does his own thing a bit different than Randall Smith (Mesa) or the myriad of dumble clones (e.g. Fuchs, Bludotone etc.) that are popular these days and still seems to maintain the BF clean tone that many of us love (or so people say, I will see).

http://www.redplatea...rb_Standard.php

1 x 12 Combo

19"x19"x10.5"

49 lb.

2x6L6- 50/40/32w (Fixed Bias/Cathode Bias/ Cathode Bias Triode Mode)

Celestion Vintage 30

It was expensive, but after I sell my two other amps and some pedals I should be fine. It is always uncomfortable ordering any musical instrument site unseen, but I have had good luck over the years. It should arrive in about 4-6 weeks.

Have any of you either played or heard this amp?

Bob

Congrats!

Red Plate BlackVerb: Initial Impressions

My amp arrived late on Thursday (I was lucky that the Fedex guy returned on his way home!). It was minimally, but professionally cartoned with the tubes installed. It is a compact amp at 19”w x 19”t x 10.5” d and weighs 48 lb. I ordered mine with a Celestion Vintage 30, which is a loud 100 dB speaker based on the advice of Henry (the manufacturer). The amp has 6 preamp tubes (4-12AX7s, 1-LP 12AX7 and 1-12AT7), 2-6L6 GC power tubes, a solid state rectifier and a small 3-spring Accutronic reverb tank. I had my amp configured with a pentode/triode operation switch. This together the fixed or cathode bias modes varies the output power at 50, 40, 33 or 26w running 6L6 power tubes and even lower if I chose to run 6V6s (24, 18, 16 and 12w).

First off, despite being an engineer, I am a simple amp guy and knobs and options can often confuse me. So this amp intimidated me a bit on paper. My current amp experience was with an Allen Accomplice (Fender BF sounds) and a Lil Dawg D-Lux (5E3 Tweed). I wanted an amp that could provide me with the sparkling scooped Fender BF cleans and that harmonically rich touch sensitivity and overdrive of my Tweed Deluxe (without the flabby bass) when it is set on its edge. I had heard about Henry and his amps on web forums and much of the discussion was by the “Dumble Crowd” which I really don’t consider myself to be part of in my tone.

studio5.jpg?t=1337968030

Inputs

The amp is actually a single channel amp with a stackable gain stage. The amp is all about sonic options. Henry calls it a Swiss-Army Knife and he is right. The input has a humbucker/single-coil switch that controls the amount of bass gain and a Smooth Switch which uses negative feedback for a bit of compression. The bright switch is actually a three-way switch bright, off and “New strings”.

Cleans

The front end of the preamp has a volume, treble, middle (pull to scoop mids) and a bass (when turned off does a full stack lift). It also has a 6-way mode selector which changes the character of the midrange to a progressively fatter midrange sound (e.g. Twin, Super, Tweed, etc.).

Overdrive

The drive portion of the preamp has three controls: Gain which controls the amount of signal for the 1st stage of the section, a Drive control that controls the level between the 2 gain stages of this section of the preamp (it can be pulled for more girth/gain). The Volume controls the output volume of this section of the amp (when pulled it is a high-cut function).

Master

The amp has a single reverb control (which can be turned off and is out of the circuit), a presence control to control low frequencies when playing loud and overdriven (also can be turned off to bypass it from the circuit) and a master volume to control overall output volume. There is also a standby switch on the front.

Back Panel

The power switch, pentode/triode switch, fixed/cathode bias switch, humbucker/single-coil switch and smooth switch are all located on the back of the amp along with the speaker impedance section knob, line out, foot pedal and effects loop jacks.

Foot Switch

It has a 3-button footswitch to remotely control amp operation. The Tweed control engages a treble cap to emphasize more upper mids (same as position 6 on the mode selector). The drive switch engages the drive portion of the preamp and the boost control is a volume increase by a partial stack lift.

How does it sound?

I have to tell you, there is no doubt that this is a great sounding amp and I have explored 1% of what it can do and have only messed around with it at home. I can tell you that it does have very nice bluesy BF clean tones with my Tele and sounds also sounded round and lush with my archtop playing jazz as well. It has a very useful EQ in the tone stack (the controls are very active in their shaping). The overdrive with my semi-hollowbody is smooth and blooming; like my 5E3 but at much lower volumes thanks to the amp design. I have found some great settings where the drive section is engaged but when you back off on your touch it still sounds clean a shimmery. The reverb sounds good as well (I never set it above 3-4 on any amp). I have been using my analog delay in the loop and even when overdriven it sounds great! While the amp is quite flexible, knowing myself; I will find two or three sounds that I like and use those 99% of the time.

Overall

So, so far I am very pleased with this amp. I need to obviously explore it a bit more and play with it in a band context to see how it will really sound. I can see myself selling my Allen Accomplice, Lil Dawg D-Lux, Ultimate Attenuator and a myriad of overdrive pedals soon. This amp seems to do everything that I was looking for (hey, I am a simple guy) and likely more. I also have to say a word about Henry Heistand the amp designer/owner of Redplate. He is a gem of a guy, great amp designer and loves music. He does not believe in “secrets” when it comes to amps which I find refreshing. When you buy one of his amps, you buy a personal amp tech that will be there to help you tweak your amp if that’s what you want. I recommend the BlackVerb for anyone seeking a compact, flexible, point-to-point wired, Fender BF sounding amp (although it really gets into the Tweed tones quite well!) with enhanced controls and overdrive capabilities. It is the type of amp that can cover a lot of musical genres and sounds. I will follow up with some more thoughts and perhaps some clips once I have played with it a bit more.

Bob

Nice comprehensive review, Bob. When I first found your thread, I went to the site, and dialed all the demos up. Knew I was in trouble. That box sounded great...just what I look for in an amp. I'm close with my two boutique builds, my 5E3, and Princeton, but your amp seems to have everything I have, in just one box. Play it in good health. Marvelous amp!

Thanks Bob for the review, it does sound very intriguing.

Sound clips would be appreciated as well if that could be done!!!

Thanks Bob for the review, it does sound very intriguing.

Sound clips would be appreciated as well if that could be done!!!

If I can get over to my friends, I will. I am not set up at home. I want to and will post another thread about that.

If I can get over to my friends, I will. I am not set up at home. I want to and will post another thread about that.

That would be great, but if not I understand. Reading your post sounds like you have a very discerning ear so I/we trust your review!!!!

...that shot in the last post made me have to do the laundry...drooled on my pants. Very, very nice new amp. What you may not yet know is how it will improve in sound after a hundred hours or so...play the snot out of it! Way to go on that one!

Boutique amps for boutique guitars,

Boutique guitars for boutique amps!

Archived