Heritage Owners Club

Heritage with Bigsby

I have considered the option of having a Bigsby installed on my H 150. I contacted Heritage about having it done, because I was concerned about the left over holes from the stop tail. The reply said that they would cover the holes with a plate. I'm really concerned about tampering with a guitar that I truly cherish and worked so hard to get. Has anyone had this done or does anyone have a Heritage with a BIgsby on it? I'm also very concerned about the guitar staying in tune after installation. This is just an idea so I'm interested in thoughts and opinions.

I share your ambitions in that i would like to but a Bigsby on my 555 ;D....but i have the same issues.

one of these days I'll take it down and see what they say....but like you, i am concerned about disrupting the original state of the guitar.

My 535 had the bigsby installed during it's manufacture.  I had a bigsby installed on the 137 but it had just the wrap around bridge/tail piece so there were no extra holes. 

I really can't say that the bigsby cause the guitars to go out of tune any worse than the guitars I play don't have a bigsby. 

Bigsby's are an interesting, cool, but old design.  They can give you the subtle vibrato unlike anything else while looking so damn cool on your guitar.  But the downside is the possibility of losing some of the guitar's sustain and consistent intonation.  

I have not put one on a solid body guitar, but did install one on a one-off Custom Direct, Gibby CS356 that was originally ordered with a trapeze.  The overall results were much better than expected.  If you get too aggressive with the bar, you are almost always have to re-tune some strings afterwards.  Heavier guage strings and a roller bridge are supposed to prevent some of the intonation issues with the Bigsby wiggler.

You might check with Stewmac.com about the installation and possible after effects to a solid body such as the H150.  

Archived