Heritage Owners Club

Going to adjust my truss rod

koula901

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your strings are sharp, just tune them down.

There's no need to adjust the truss rod unless you're getting some buzzing due to the a change in neck relief.

Are you getting some buzzing?

well, not only that, but the action is way too low. my guitar tech said to loosen the truss rod a little bit to bring the action up. it's all this humidity.

but not sure I can do it tonight because it seems i might need a 5/16" truss rod wrench, which I don't have. any suggestion about where to order one?

I think the action got too low from the neck pulling away from the body, due to the humidity. the thought is, loosening up the truss a little bit will allow the neck to come forward, and perhaps then the action will snap back to where it was before. I know I never set the action this low before.

Hex_Truss_Rod_Wrenches_sm.jpg

is this what I need to adjust the truss rod? A 5/16" hex wrench, for my 150? They have them at stew mac.

Since I don't have this tool right now, I'll just loosen the strings for a few days and see if the neck moves.

There was no buzzing, just sharp, and all of a sudden, the action got too low.

Hex_Truss_Rod_Wrenches_sm.jpg

is this what I need to adjust the truss rod? A 5/16" hex wrench, for my 150? They have them at stew mac.

Since I don't have this tool right now, I'll just loosen the strings for a few days and see if the neck moves.

There was no buzzing, just sharp, and all of a sudden, the action got too low.

I haven't had to adjust any of my guitars lately. But .. doesn't Heritage use an Allen wrench?

No, there's a nut inside, that needs a hex wrench. I believe you use allen wrenches for strats and teles.

Wow,

Are you sure the bridge isn't just set a little low?

Have you sighted down the neck by holding the guitar

up to a light source?

If your are sure raising the bridge slightly wont help out

you can follow these instructions for truss rod adjustment.

If not hold the guitar up so the headstock is nearest to the

light source and look from the end of the body along the neck

to see if you have any bow ( relief ) and if so note which way

the bow occurs...

Ideally, we all would like to have our necks as flat as can be but

many guitars will not allow this condition without some buzzing.

The relief will want to be ever so slight from a practically flat

( straight ) condition with any bow allowing a slightly larger gap

that will begin to eliminate any buzzing.

Usually tightening the truss rod flattens the neck profile if excessive

bow ( gap ) exists. Likewise loosening the truss rod with introduce bow

if the neck is either flat or is bowing forward ( too little gap usually near

the midpoint of the neck ) so you need to know where things are before

you tighten or loosen the truss rod nut....

Do this inspection first and post what you see....I'll hang

yes, indeed. or, this:

31Khv87kQQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But, actually, what's cool about the one you posted, Bird, is there's a phillips screw driver on one end.

Koula,

A change in the neck due to humidity can make the action seem a bit lower. And I suppose, if the action used to be good and now it's too low and you've made no other adjustements, then loosening the truss rod a bit could bring it back to the action you want.

However, it's much more likely that the bridge height adjustment may have gotten changed during a string change or when you polished the the guitar. In that case you're better adjusting the bridge height.

To check the neck bow, lay the guitar down and fret it at the 1st and 17th fret where the neck meets the body and measure clearance at the 8th fret. Most recomendations I've seen call for less than 1/64" clearance. I've probably got twice that on some of my guitars. The point is, you shouldn't need much neck relief; certainly not the amount required to appreciably change your action.

Setting string height is different. That's usually measured at the 12 fret, or mid scale. Depending on your playing style, string heights of 3/64 -3/32" are normal. It depends on your playing style and preference.

.... But, actually, what's cool about the one you posted, Bird, is there's a phillips screw driver on one end.

Dat's why I'm the brains of dis' operation........

I had one in my 357 case when it came from the factory. I need to order one for each of my guitars.

TRWrench_std_Detail.jpg

HFB's pic and yours of the T-bar wrench are the right types to use. With these, it's easy to see how much of a turn you have applied.

The socket needs to be a 'thin wall' type as there's not much clearance at the sides of the hex nut.

You don't use the truss rod to adjust the action. You use the truss rod to adjust the straightness of the neck. You adjust the action at the bridge and nut. Luthier extraordinaire Ron Thorn has a great little acronym for setting up guitars: TRAIN

T - tune

R - adjust the truss rod

A - adjust the action

I - adjust the intonation

N - noodle

yes, indeed. or, this:

31Khv87kQQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But, actually, what's cool about the one you posted, Bird, is there's a phillips screw driver on one end.

I prefer this style as you don't have to worry about clearance between the strings. Actually, I use a standard socket on an extension. I did grind the outer lip of the socket so that it fits the tighter truss rod recesses with ease.

Guest HRB853370

Heritage and Gibson guitars ship with the hex wrench that has the philips screwdriver on the opposite end. I just adjusted my truss rod on my Heritage 535. The action was already low, but the E and A strings were buzzing slightly. No bridge adjustment needed. I adjusted it 1/8 of a turn at a time. I had to do three 1/8 turns to eliminate the buzz. Just be careful and go slow as is reiterated constantly on this forum.

One thing I've noticed from doing truss rod adjustments is a settling in period after a significant adjustment is made. +1 on the OP thang abut humidity, increase/decrease can cause neck to change more than a little bit. My 555 had a tiny, tiny hump where the fretboard met the body when I first got it, to fix that I redid the setup and stuck in a humidifier in the guitar case, one of those round black ones with the clay inside, put four 1/4 inch holes in the lid for more effective dispersion of moisture. Year later, hump gone, been gone for quite some time now. Dry wood can contract over time. Could also have been the hump was contributed to from improperly set truss rod, too loose causing the problem because that thin neck can flex except from where it is attached to the body. Pulling the neck back by adjusting the truss rod first then adjusting the bridge height helped greatly in this particular instance. I discovered on my own the order that works best for me, exactly like the acronym posted earlier in this thread.

I have a 12 string acoustic that the TR is very hard to turn when strings are under tension, so I loosen all the strings to floppy, make the adjustment and tune strings back to pitch and check neck relief. It has an Allen Socket that might strip if too difficult to turn. I adjust truss rod if I change tuning, but nowadays leave tuning alone and leave it at standard.

Heritage and Gibson guitars ship with the hex wrench that has the philips screwdriver on the opposite end. I just adjusted my truss rod on my Heritage 535. The action was already low, but the E and A strings were buzzing slightly. No bridge adjustment needed. I adjusted it 1/8 of a turn at a time. I had to do three 1/8 turns to eliminate the buzz. Just be careful and go slow as is reiterated constantly on this forum.

Mine are all used Heritages except my 137, which didn't ship with a hex wrench.

Archived