Heritage Owners Club

The word-of-mouth advertising model

Doug

Parsons Street Pilgrimage

A gathering of owners and steadfast brand enthusiasts - seems like the ultimate word-of-mouth type of advertising example. These owners are better brand disciples than anyone... including some dealers that may sell multiple brands.

These people, that own the guitars and talk them up to everybody that they come in contact with is pretty much the only type of advertising Heritage does. We owners are very loyal to the brand and sing their praises from the mountaintop pretty much every chance we get (am I right?).

Other than taking their new product offerings to the NAMM show each year, this is about the only "advertising" they do - with the exception of the occasional print ad and their website.

Of course, you have to have a great product, excellent service and a good reputation to pull it off - check, check and check.

Kind of an interesting case study for people that study such things, I would think.

I agree. It is a business model that is backed up by a high quality product and a legendary history of the people involved and the product(s) they produce. There are not too many things I am as passionate about when I think about it. What is unique is Heritage does not really host/sponsor the PSP event like other manufacturers do. It was started by fans/customers. They have achieved a pretty good price point as a small factory where you get the hand craftsmanship and attention to detail at a lower price point then a small one man shop.

Speaking of word of mouth, I was talking to my bass player about trying to get another Heritage and he asked, "Doesn't Heritage just make Les Paul copies"? Whoa! Wha????? Oh, no he didn't! Aw, snap, yes he did! Time for a little word of of mouth education! Now where's all those threads from Fredzep?

Guest HRB853370

Parsons Street Pilgrimage

A gathering of owners and steadfast brand enthusiasts - seems like the ultimate word-of-mouth type of advertising example. These owners are better brand disciples than anyone... including some dealers that may sell multiple brands.

These people, that own the guitars and talk them up to everybody that they come in contact with is pretty much the only type of advertising Heritage does. We owners are very loyal to the brand and sing their praises from the mountaintop pretty much every chance we get (am I right?).

Other than taking their new product offerings to the NAMM show each year, this is about the only "advertising" they do - with the exception of the occasional print ad and their website.

Of course, you have to have a great product, excellent service and a good reputation to pull it off - check, check and check.

Kind of an interesting case study for people that study such things, I would think.

Maybe a good case study for an MBA program?

Guest HRB853370

Speaking of word of mouth, I was talking to my bass player about trying to get another Heritage and he asked, "Doesn't Heritage just make Les Paul copies"? Whoa! Wha????? Oh, no he didn't! Aw, snap, yes he did! Time for a little word of of mouth education! Now where's all those threads from Fredzep?

+1, Les Paul copies but better. Slap slap. Hope you fired him.

I remember taking my black 157 into the local shop for some wiring work. ( Which was complicated by the Page wiring with some added mods on top of that )

When I returned to pick it up, the owner offered a trade for a black Les Paul Custom, with a mischevious look in his eye he says... "a real one".

I smile back and relate... " the real ones are made in Kalamazoo... ".. He laughs, knowing that I'm right and won't trade. That 157 is awesome with the Sheptone pickups....

IM001319%20edit.JPG

I remember taking my black 157 into the local shop for some wiring work. ( Which was complicated by the Page wiring with some added mods on top of that )

When I returned to pick it up, the owner offered a trade for a black Les Paul Custom, with a mischevious look in his eye he says... "a real one".

I smile back and relate... " the real ones are made in Kalamazoo... ".. He laughs, knowing that I'm right and won't trade. That 157 is awesome with the Sheptone pickups....

IM001319%20edit.JPG

Beautiful 157. Right on with the shop owner!

I've got my whole routine down pretty good. I launch into my Heritage Guitar Salesman bit at the drop of a hat to friend and stranger alike. Too bad there is no way to track how many converts I have brought into the fold. hahahaha Heck, I could ramble on all day if someone had a mind to listen to me that long.

And what's up with that thing on that black H-157 (above) that looks like one of those crappy plastic Gibson pick guards instead of a hand crafted multi layered wood finger rest that The Heritage makes for their guitars? I wouldn't want any part of my guitar to look like it came from Gibson and that is why I love the shape of Heritage headstocks and finger rests because their unique shapes identify them as being NOT FROM GIBSON. (This is where I would go on a big Gibson bashing rant, but you get the idea.)

And what's up with that thing on that black H-157 (above) that looks like one of those crappy plastic Gibson pick guards instead of a hand crafted multi layered wood finger rest that The Heritage makes for their guitars? I wouldn't want any part of my guitar to look like it came from Gibson and that is why I love the shape of Heritage headstocks and finger rests because their unique shapes identify them as being NOT FROM GIBSON. (This is where I would go on a big Gibson bashing rant, but you get the idea.)

I do like the pickguard on yours .. a very nice look.

The one on mine may have come from the dealer that way, some dealers were known to do that.

And I love old Gibbys from K-zoo, so no problem with the association to a Les Paul... it's their heritage.

( heck, last year Marv gave me an old Gibson neck that was still laying around the plant )

Most of your boutique guitar companies advertise by word of mouth. When is the last time you saw an add in Guitar Player for; Heritage, Kirn, Danocaster, McInturff, Underwood, Thornton, Kline, Tyler, Huber, Gustavsson, D,Pergo, ect, ect....

Guest HRB853370

That scratchplate looks very elegant on Fred's 157.

The used market will also get a few converts. I'm one. I couldn't find the LP I wanted in Gibson offerings and knowing about Heritage from a previous trade for a H535 (which I reluctantly had to sell to pay a debt), I jumped at the chance to get another. Now I have my Les Paul (ok, it is really a H150) and hope to always have a Heritage in the stable. I can see getting to the PSP some day, and ordering a new one to my specs! :)

Most of your boutique guitar companies advertise by word of mouth. When is the last time you saw an add in Guitar Player for; Heritage, Kirn, Danocaster, McInturff, Underwood, Thornton, Kline, Tyler, Huber, Gustavsson, D,Pergo, ect, ect....

I've only heard of a couple of those....

I've only heard of a couple of those....

They are boutique, expensive, handmade, and expensive. They aren't available at GC and usually only have a few dealers or as a customer order only.

They are boutique, expensive, handmade, and expensive. They aren't available at GC and usually only have a few dealers or as a customer order only.

I assumed all that, with the brands I did recognize, I figured they'd be top dollar guitars.

What is unique is Heritage does not really host/sponsor the PSP event like other manufacturers do. It was started by fans/customers.

Even better!

And exactly what Word-Of-Mouth "advertising" is all about.

It definitely makes it even that much more authentic.

Guest HRB853370

Thats because customers dont want them dented!

Archived