Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Liberty amp, have a NOS tweed version, a few questions..

Problem with this amp is that it's too damn loud. Really, the thing can shatter your windows. Way, way too loud for my needs these days. Still, when no one is home, I can at least crank it for a few minutes..

Yep, it is a loud amp, however, it is so dynamic and pick sensitive, it sounds great to my ears even at low volumes.

Have you played with both the Normal and Bright Volume knobs simultaneously? And how about the uber flexibility of a 3 knob Reverb?

Amazing amp!

I have messed with both the normal and bright volumes at the same time, yes. Nice way to mix and match. Really, it's a great sounding amp, very touch sensitive. Glad I have it!

By the way, for Heritage amp owners, the neatest knob is the one on the far right called the "MOOD" knob. Basically it acts as a negative feedback control and to the left adds more feedback for a more "controlled" sound. All the way to the right (clockwise) the feedback loop is essentially off and you will notice more dynamics, but less controlled bass. Pretty cool knob, similar to what high end class A single ended tube stereo hi-fi music amps have, basically to control bass accuracy. Most audiophiles like it with NO feedback (on the Heritage amps that would be the knob fully clockwise). As you add a bit of feedback, the sound starts to dip in volume but if you increase a bit using volume, you'll notice the sound is more "controlled" but (to me) less vibrant. Depending on your style it could be better though.

At any rate, it's a truly neat control on these great, underrated Heritage amplifiers.

• 3 months later...

I use a Liberty as my main gigging rig. I custom ordered the head and 2x12 cab in tweed back when I was working at Guitar X which carried these. Absolutely beautiful gigging amp with clear, fat fender tones. Mine is the old version with the single reverb knob. The Mood knob is very useful. I use all the way CW for single coils and all the way CCW for humbuckers and it really helps even things out. My reverb tank also died so I replaced it with one of these and it works fine:

http://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/P-RMOD-4AB3C1B

My Tone King Metropolitan has a MOD reverb tank and it sounds great. I found out the hard way because at PSP5 the reverb wouldn't work.

When I got home I took apart the connections to get to the tank. I couldn't find anything wrong so I put everything back together.

Turned the amp on and the reverb was working, must have been a loose connection.

Archived