Heritage Owners Club

Possible guitar name infringement!

soybean

I sent the following email to Heritage last week. I haven't heard back from anyone yet. With the reorganization of the company, maybe there isn't anyone there to answer right now, or maybe this never got to the right person. Hopefully, posting it here will alert someone at Heritage.

Hello,

As a long time fan of Heritage and current owner of 6 Heritage guitars, i wanted to alert you to something. The Carvin company has recently introduced two new models: the SH-575 and the SH-550. In my opinion, these model numbers are way too similar to the Heritage H-575 and H-550… especially since the Carvin guitars are also hollow body electrics. The Carvin website makes a big deal out of the fact that the guitar's tops are solid and not laminated; something Heritage has been doing for years. I believe these Carvin model names will confuse the guitar-buying public and possibly weaken Heritage company's position in the market. If i was the Heritage company, i would insist that Carvin change the model designations of these new guitars.

Below are links to Carvin's new models. Thank you for building the very best guitars available.

(name withheld)

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guita...php?model=sh550

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guita...php?model=sh575

Althought the model numbers are "potentially" similar, there isn't a case here. The guitars are significantly different, and frankly the 575 is innovative as compared to the heritage models (synth access is cool). Carvin is a bit player and their gear sells generally to working musicians. Carvin guitars don't hold value well, but from my experience are very high quality. I just bought one on very good terms on the usedy market and can't wait to get it. I may lack independence since I can go to their showrooms any old time and have fun with their stuff (which I do). I have always wanted to have one, and this shall be my first (probably last too). I spent a lot of time playing the candy and liked the DC135, then snagged one half off on TGP :)

Sorry to glub on your post, but I just don't see anything here and I am sure Carvin's lawyer's reviewed it. It is probably a ripoff to a certain extent, but to the same extent could G# not sue Heritage for the 535? It's just a model number. Anyone knows that Carvin can't make a guitar with real Heritage DNA. It's like an Ibanez jazzmaster or whatever it's called. Looks like a 535 but it's NOT.....and the Carvin doesn't even look like it.

hmm... maybe.  I'm not a lawyer so DON"T KNOW, but if Fender were to start marketing a semi-hollow "F335" my bet is that Gibson would have a Trademark issue w/that.  I saw the same ad soybean and thought the same thing you did - that the model numbers were Heritage ripoffs.  Will it confuse the buying public?...  maybe, maybe not.

I also thought Heritage should file suit or at least a temporary injunction against Carvin for the '550/575' name and model designation issue.  But the two instruments are significantly different enough so as to not confuse potential buyers.  And as Brent stated, Mr. Margol is an attorney.

I also thought Heritage should file suit or at least a temporary injunction against Carvin for the '550/575' name and model designation issue.  But the two instruments are significantly different enough so as to not confuse potential buyers. And as Brent stated, Mr. Margol is an attorney.
They might be significantly different to us, but maybe not to a kid starting out. Imagine someone telling you about a great hollow-body guitar called a 575. "It's got a solid top, not like those Gibsons", your friend says. "It's got beautiful flamed wood and f-holes". You do a little research online and find the Carvin guitar. It fits your friend's description pretty well. I'm totally happy to leave this issue in Margol's hands, i just hope he is aware of it.

By the way, Gretsch made Fender change the name of their Broadcaster guitar because Gretsch had a drum set with that name. Those two products are significantly different yet Fender changed the name.

I sent the following email to Heritage last week. I haven't heard back from anyone yet. With the reorganization of the company, maybe there isn't anyone there to answer right now, or maybe this never got to the right person. Hopefully, posting it here will alert someone at Heritage.

The folks at Heritage shut down once a year during this time for a summer sabbatical .... its on their voicemail, apparently not on their email

The folks at Heritage shut down once a year during this time for a summer sabbatical
Ahhh… that explains it! :wink: Thanks for that. Any idea when the Heritage folks return from vacation?

Archived