Heritage Owners Club

Bone or not to Bone New to me 150 LW NGD!

Jazzerous

I got this 150 LW on the bay 2 weeks ago. It was listed in the Ebay FS section on this forum! This is my first 150 and I noticed it had a whait corian like nut . I have had a 575, and a 535 in the past and put Vintage Camel Bone nuts in those guitars more for looks than anything else .

My regular Luthier is on vacation for 10 days so I am taking the suoer nice 150 with Motor City pups to a new guy that is a certified Luthier from a local school and builds his own Electris guits more strat and Hamer style. Am I crazy to be putting a bone nut in for $ 60 in labor to include a re string or A Ok ?IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

STB_3820.jpg

Beautiful guitar, but what's with that serial #?! Normally, they all say "Made in Kalamazoo, MI, USA, also with a letter denoting the year of manufacture. This is odd....Plus, what's the little dealy-ma-bob over the serial #?

I think the thing above the serial # is LW . I bought the guitar on Ebay from a HOC member "Tallershadows" and he has a great rep on ebay as well as here so I totally did not suspect anything about the serial # , and I assumed the funny serial # was that it was a LW . I will certainly call Heritage tomorrow and check it out ! Dang maybe I was blinded by the looks and I still don't suspect anything. The guitar plays great and is set really low . My Luthier was amazed how low and no buzzing on the frets!

I would say it's the letter of the serial number designating the year. I've seen many of the 2007 model year guitars with the "X" above the rest of the numbers. Take the plastic cavity cover off of the back of the guitar and the model and serial number should be on a tag on the backside of the cover.

Guest HRB853370

I think the thing above the serial # is LW . I bought the guitar on Ebay from a HOC member "Tallershadows" and he has a great rep on ebay as well as here so I totally did not suspect anything about the serial # , and I assumed the funny serial # was that it was a LW . I will certainly call Heritage tomorrow and check it out ! Dang maybe I was blinded by the looks and I still don't suspect anything. The guitar plays great and is set really low . My Luthier was amazed how low and no buzzing on the frets!

I have a 150LW and there is nothing different about the serial number compared to my other non LW 150's. I have never seen the Made in USA instead of the Made in Kalamazoo, MI USA. That is very weird.

As far as the nut goes, a bone nut is an upgrade. And $60 for a good filed nut and quick set up is not out of the ball park.

I prefer bone nuts, but since the nuts on my Heritage work fine & don't catch or "ping" I have not changed them out just to do it.

I did put in a bone nut on my 525, but it was worn down too far, so I just had my luthier put a new bone nut in.

The serial number is typical for the year. Don't worry about that.

The bone nut will make a small difference only on open notes. If you don't play many open notes, don't do it. Use the $60 for something special, like dinner with a friend.

For reference, a bone nut costs about $7 extra in this part of the world, $20 vs. $27 for a new nut. I choose bone nuts because the sustain is generally better and there's minimal cost difference.

i recently bought a 2005 H150 and had the nut replaced. The original had been cut wrong and I couldn't get the action low without the g string buzzing. I went with a bone nut and have been pleased with the results. I paid $105 but that included a setup, rewiring and the nut/installation. Keep in mind this is NYC but I actually think the price was pretty reasonable for the city.

Guest HRB853370

The serial number is typical for the year. Don't worry about that.

The bone nut will make a small difference only on open notes. If you don't play many open notes, don't do it. Use the $60 for something special, like dinner with a friend.

For reference, a bone nut costs about $7 extra in this part of the world, $20 vs. $27 for a new nut. I choose bone nuts because the sustain is generally better and there's minimal cost difference.

How do you tell the year of mfg with no letter?

Guest HRB853370

The letter was placed above the numbers that year.

Ah, ok, that sure doesnt look like a letter, looks more like a symbol or a dealy-ma-bob as Shundog put it.

Here is the pic from the inside of the cover. Looks like the W was put above the serial # and the smeer below the W is just a mistaken smeer of the same W ! i tried to call the Plant and they are shut down till the 10th! IMG_3832.jpg

STB_3836.jpg

Sorry forgot to mention I don't have the Original HRw's but thinking about getting them to complete the packadge !

A 2006 model, you got one of the early lightweights. The serial numbers are hand stamped on the back of the headstock and sometimes the letter/numbers are hard to read. Enjoy your new H-150!

That was the second heritage I ever owned. The first was another H150 which weighed 11lbs. I purchased that from Golferwave. It is transparent black with tan b/s, and is a beauty. I wanted one that was lighter, so I purchased that H150 LW from Jay Wolfe (well acutally, Graham Zebedee at Wolfe's shop). It originally came with HRWs, but I wanted something slightly warmer so after trying numerous pups, found the motor city pups which sound great. The original HRWs were sold a couple of years ago. As for the nut, I personally didn't find any deficiency in sound or playing. My personal two cents is why fix something if it isn't broken?

Go for the Bone, I have it on all of my best guitars. It lasts longer, the strings won't cut in to it and better tone/sustain.

Guest HRB853370

Here is the pic from the inside of the cover. Looks like the W was put above the serial # and the smeer below the W is just a mistaken smeer of the same W ! i tried to call the Plant and they are shut down till the 10th! IMG_3832.jpg

STB_3836.jpg

Ahh, just out deer hunting, they do that when not building fine guitars.

Guest HRB853370

Go for the Bone, I have it on all of my best guitars. It lasts longer, the strings won't cut in to it and better tone/sustain.

Whats your recommendation for drum heads?

Aquarian Super Kick II base drum & Aquarian Super-2 Drumheads with Studio-X Ring for toms. In my humble opinion, nothing sounds better in the studio or live when miced up.

Archived