Heritage Owners Club

Heritage MOP Inlays: Do they affect your playability?

jamison162

No doubt the real MOP looks killer, but I have noticed several times that I tend to get "hung up" on them while playing.  Kinda sticky in a not so sticky way.  Like not slick enough when bending notes and vibrato. My fingers don't slide over them real smooth, know what I mean?

Man, I wish I could afford to have that refret with 6100's done!!!

If you're touching the inlays, you're pushing down too hard.  At least, that's what someone told me.  That being said, I haven't had any problems with the inlays on any of my guitars, regardless of style or material. 

I think the trapezoid inlays on the gold 535 play faster than the "dot neck" 535.  I feel the finger board when I play but I am far from being a trained musician.  Maybe me setting the action so high takes a different angle of attack? 

Well, the Heritage frets are kinds small (for me) at least height wise...so it's hard not to touch the fretboard.  I have a aggressive style and heavy right hand.

Maybe I just need to clean and condition my fretboard, it's been a few months.

Well, the Heritage frets are kinds small (for me) at least height wise...so it's hard not to touch the fretboard.  I have a aggressive style and heavy right hand.

Maybe I just need to clean and condition my fretboard, it's been a few months.

I bend strings a whole lot.  I use vibrato to cover my short comings as a guitarist.  I taste a lot of the fret board when I play.  Maybe I sand them down so fast I don't notice the resistance.  :)

jamison162,

What about the frets without inlay? Do your fingers stick in there either? I noticed smth like that too. But to me it is due to quite narrow and small (in height) frets. I have Ibanez S540LTD with flat neck profile and jumbo frets-excellent for bends!

Interesting topic. I notice it at one playing position on my 157. If I am bending the high E string at the 15th fret my pinky seems to contact the inlay just enough to chatter across it. At first, I thought I had a rough spot on a fret. It doesn't happen all the time and I don't mind it really. It could be something else but this is the only explanation I can think of.

The only problem I have is when they aren't any. :wink: Or when the inlay is too fancy. Then it's more of a sight problem than catching on the inlays. Or just plain being able to play regardless of whether there are markers or not!

actually...now that i think about it...my gary moores inlays are not perfectly flush w/ the rosewood...but it doesnt really bother me

Contracting/Expansion. Think of the frets on non-nibbed FBs. If it's dry you might get fret ends, get a bit more humidity and they're fine. It's going to affect the inlays in much the same fashions ... wouldn't it?

Contracting/Expansion. Think of the frets on non-nibbed FBs. If it's dry you might get fret ends, get a bit more humidity and they're fine. It's going to affect the inlays in much the same fashions ... wouldn't it?

yeah, i think so

Mother-of Toilet-Seat that other manufacturers use.

I just thought I'd let you know that you made someone this side of the Atlantic do this  :icon_biggrin:

Had not heard it before.

Edit - to answer the question, no, not at all.

I have this problem with my 150.  My fingers are skidding across the MOP inlays.  It's the first time I've ever experienced it in my 20 years of playing.  I contacted Heritage and they suggested filing down the inlays to be flush with the neck and oil it down.  The inlays seem to be flush.  I just put some bore oil on the neck yesterday and am going to restring it tonight.  I'll let you know if that helps.  Otherwise, I may have to take it to a local luthier and see what he suggests.

I have this problem with my 150.  My fingers are skidding across the MOP inlays.  It's the first time I've ever experienced it in my 20 years of playing.  I contacted Heritage and they suggested filing down the inlays to be flush with the neck and oil it down.  The inlays seem to be flush.  I just put some bore oil on the neck yesterday and am going to restring it tonight.  I'll let you know if that helps.  Otherwise, I may have to take it to a local luthier and see what he suggests.

Cool, then I'm not the only one.  I think my board is just real dry.  The inlays are flush, it's not an issue with the edges, it's the mop material itself.  I'm gonna polish my frtes and clean/condition the board with some Fret Dr. Bore Oil.  It works wonders for rosewood, maybe it will affects the inlays also.

Don't know if this is snake oil, but you might consider this.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

Archived