Heritage Owners Club

Need info/opinions on Heritage Millennium series

joe_hd

???There isn't a dealer locally so I can't try them.  I am looking at the Millennium 158 and 155, the Prospect, and from what I have read about the Prospect maybe a H-535.  I have owned an Academy Custom, loved it and liked the neck.  The only complaint I had was trivial, the body seemed long.  I haven't seen the Millennium series on eBay, and I don't know of anyone who owns or has played one.  I don't care about "bright and shiny", I just want a full, rich tone with some sustain and a slim neck.  I would like some information/comparisons, of the 535 V. prospect and those against the Millennium series.  Any information would be appreciated.     

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the HoC. Hope you find a guitar and stick around.

I have a 2000 Millennium SAE. It's just slightly larger than a 150 (think LP Standard). Mine is like the 158 which is a laminate top and back with F-holes. Gives it that H535 vibe without the size. BTW, I have an H535 as well. Aside from being very shiny it can get into that 150/535 territory quite easily. It retains that airy feel you get with the semi-hollows, but when pushed can go right into that vintage Humbucker mode. The Millie's are semi-solid guitars, btw. The center bracing is never carved completely out of the inner frame, so the block underneath the bridge, et al, is not glued in. That's a Heritage exclusive, btw!

Last weekend I got to play a Prospect Blues Deluxe. As a certain owner mention while making faces, "it was an Ed Roman (ugh) special order. Still a nice guitar though". :wink: The one I played had a slimmer neck than say an LPS. It was light weight with a very narrow waist. It really sat well on the strap. We were jamming on Rock Mt. Way, and it held it's own quite well amongst some very heavy weight 150s. As far as tone, I played it thru an 18 watt clone and it just sang. Semi's do not sound like solid bodies, even when pushed. But that difference is really hard to describe - especially in a limited forum post.

Of the three, my 535 probably projects better - by a very slim margin. All 3 sang very well unplugged. Being a long time solid body player, I am partial to the size and fit of the Millie between the 3. Altho' I am contemplating ordering a Prospect, as well. The semi-hollows/solids just have a certain feel to them. Sorry you can't get to play one first. You could always talk to the dealer about a return policy. Best of luck in your search.

Hey Joe .....

I've got a Millennium and a 535, the Millie has HRW's and the 535 has SD '59s.

The Millie has higher output with a more "in your face" tone, especially when playing distortion, clean it has a very clear cutting tone and at times the bridge p'up can sound like a Tele. I can get big warm sounds from it but I need to manipulate the volume and tone controls a bit to do so.

The 535 has less output and a fuller warmer tone both for clean and distortion sounds. I don't gig and only play at "house" volume levels and the 535 is a lot easier to get controlled feedback with, it starts to push air out of the f-holes, awesome when that happens.

The Millie is constructed in a different way and so does not respond in the same way , at least at the volume levels that I play at.

Don't get me wrong the Millie is an excellent guitar but if push came to shove and I had to choose only one it would be the 535.

The neck on the Millie is a lot slimmer than the 535 neck which is fairly chunky, I prefer the 535 neck.

I happen to have a Prospect Standard on the way so in a week or two I will be able to compare all three. The guitar is used and the pickup type is unknown, more than likely it has the standard Schallers, I'm kinda thinking of getting some Duncan P-Rails for it already.

Hope this helps ..

I have a Milly DC with HRWs, as well.  It does most of what I want, and some things I'd never think of (tone wise).  The body is smaller than a 535, although it's semi-solid, not semi-hollow, so it's a bit heavier.  I like it.  If you have a Guitarget near you, go pick up a Gibson 339; it's essentially a copy of the Millennium DC, but with a bunch of laminated woods instead of solid, not hand carved, no fancy binding, no real MOP inlays, &c.  You'll get an idea of whether or not the size suits you, though.

There was a Milli DC w/ HRWs and a bigsby (trans black) for sale at my local GC a while back, but it sold fast ($1000)....too bad it would have been a killer guitar for someone here!

My take.

535 is much larger, mine had flat wounds and Seth Lovers... I loved the sound, kinda darkish and bluesy.... But I sold it!!!

My Millenniums have a much more lively sound mostly due to the fact it is a really 1/2 inch maple cap. Have more of a really light LPaul feel to play too.

My limited edition 2000 millenniums have to best sound to me... can play them unplugged and just drool.  When I talked to Bill @ heritage he told me there were around 65 of my model produced... so if you want one you cant be shy, you have to jump on the deals!!!

I personally absolutely baby my Millenniums, I lock em up!!! .... a 535 would get more of the Real World Treatment from me!!

I suggest trying a 535 they are easy to get and easy to sell and you can't get hurt too bad...if you find a millennium buy it... If you find a Millennium Eagle Custom you can have a real special instrument a real piece of art!!!

006 M2K here. It's my absolute favorite of all my guitars. I don't lock it away, but it doesn't go out much :) Can't go wrong with a H guitar, the milleniums are a great lightweight 150 (lp) style guitar that just sings really woodsy like. And it won't break your back to sling it around all night if you need to.

022 m2k chestnut burst here, don't lock mine away either. have never played a 535, I bet there nice...

I love the millie, have it set up with 9's and it plays like butter, I have Seth lovers in it and think they are the tits..

If you can find a 2000 you had better snatch it up quick.

if you wait for a couple more weeks, I bet there will be a blue 535 for sale over at harmony central ;D ;D ;D ;D

022 m2k chestnut burst here, don't lock mine away either. have never played a 535, I bet there nice...

I love the millie, have it set up with 9's and it plays like butter, I have Seth lovers in it and think they are the tits..

If you can find a 2000 you had better snatch it up quick.

if you wait for a couple more weeks, I bet there will be a blue 535 for sale over at harmony central ;D ;D ;D ;D

Shouldn't that be a blue 555 bob ?

:angel:

had a '00 Ltd. Ed. (#028) of the first run, am presently looking for it to get it back.  Local LP nut referred to it as a "scaled-down L-5".  Seths.

have the first DC (it was the NAMM guitar) w/HRWs.  friends refer to it as "the Screamer".

8)

had a '00 Ltd. Ed. (#028) of the first run, am presently looking for it to get it back.  Local LP nut referred to it as a "scaled-down L-5".  Seths.

have the first DC (it was the NAMM guitar) w/HRWs.  friends refer to it as "the Screamer".

8)

nice.

I have a Millie DC, old style burst, bought it new in 04.  it IS a screamer.

Millie3vsm.jpg

Millie3vsm.jpg_thumb

Archived