Heritage Owners Club

...an unusual NSD

212Mavguy

So there was this seller on ebay, he listed an Altec speaker but did not list the correct model number, he listed by the number on the magnet. Only problem is that the number on the magnet was not the actual speaker model, but I knew what it was...

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

I knew it was some iteration of an Altec 417, so I put it on my watch list. At 30 bucks opening this kind of speaker should have just HURLED up in price the last minute, but due to the seller ID faux pas I sniped with eight seconds to go for the opening bid price. Market value on original cone 417's runs 140-275 bucks. so I was definitely feeling the smug feeling of a cat that had just swallowed a canary. Less than 50 bucks total delivered to my door...

The speaker that arrived was not the same speaker pictured in the auction. It was a later model 417-8H II, even heavier than the earlier models. early 417's were rated 75 watts. This one is rated .at 100. It was covered in cobwebs and dust. So I took it and laid it on the carpet upside down, connected it, and played loudly through it with lots of distortion to knock some of the dust off the cone. when I flipped it back over, things looked better. Cleaned off the spider silk, and played through it right side up. NO VC rub, all sweet sounding. These speakers are sealed against dust at the factory. The efficiency was quite high, this would work well next to one of my JBL's in a 2/12..

Lately I have discovered the lower wattage early Altec and JBL designs to have a sound worthy of their lofty price tags. I have never heard a better sounding low wattage speaker than the Altec 600b I have in a vintage Harmony amp. Many, many times I have bought on ebay to see for myself instead of just reading what folks say, and time and time again I have ended up the better off than peers for going down that far less trodden path.

Bait and switch usually goes the bad way for the buyer, in this case it was like the seller that listed a pair of Realistic Lifetime brand 12ax7 boxes that held a good pair of 60's vintage Amperex Bugle Boys inside, he listed the tubes by the brand on the box instead of what was in them.. In this case, we exchanged a couple short friendly notes, he know exactly what he did and I had no problem with it. He shipped the speaker he wanted less than the one that went for such a paltry price. I still came out a winner. The speaker recieved was an upgrade over the original listing. No foul, no harm, he got his positive feedback...

I'm not 100% sure, initially it is to go in a 2/12 paired with a JBL MI-12, for my Dumble clones as a science project. It's a very heavy speaker, so I won't want to put it in a high wattage combo that is already weighty.. If they sound well together that will be the new home until I get a pair of hemp reconed Altec 600b's redone that came out too dark after a lengthy breakin. One 2/12 has high wattage speakers the other identical cab has a pair of low wattage custom reconed JBL d123's I bought on faith from an ebay seller I've bought from before. These 123's are the most amazing guitar speakers I have ever listened to for the Dumble circuit tones.

This Altec besides its proven record as a blues rocker would be a fantastic jazzbox amp speaker.

Dunno how the rules go now on that now, but AFAIK ebay can't stop the bid, the seller has to reject it. Another solution is for the seller to file a complaint called bid interference against the Brazilian if he sniped the auction in last seconds.. You had provided notice in your description.

Archived