Heritage Owners Club

55 Tweed Deluxe at GC Greenville

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

Popped into GC today with Marie, and she bought my Christmas present early; a Snark chromatic tuner, the little clipon tuner. Then, while looking at the used gear, an employee brought in a 55 Tweed Deluxe. Kind of rough, but not too bad for 57 years old. And priced at $2400.

Some of you guys probably remember "Slider" (Mike R.), whose brother-in-law worked at a landfill in New York. Mike is very knowledgeable regarding vintage Fender amps. You may recall that Mike asked his brother-in-law to keep an eye out for anything electrical, heading into the dump. One day, Mike gets a call. He asks some questions. Pictures come in later that afternoon.... Mint (save for a little water staining, on the bottom) tweed Deluxe. I love that story.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/4196-somy-brother-in-law-works-at-the-dump/page__hl__landfill?do=findComment&comment=50817

Guest HRB853370

If it is all original, which I doubt for that price, buy it and you can flip it for a quick $1-2K profit.

Not sure John, doubt also its all original, but the speaker was. Cash poor here.

Some of you guys probably remember "Slider" (Mike R.), whose brother-in-law worked at a landfill in New York. Mike is very knowledgeable regarding vintage Fender amps. You may recall that Mike asked his brother-in-law to keep an eye out for anything electrical, heading into the dump. One day, Mike gets a call. He asks some questions. Pictures come in later that afternoon.... Mint (save for a little water staining, on the bottom) tweed Deluxe. I love that story.

http://www.heritageo...ll#entry50817

People's stupidity. It sickens me to even think there are people who throw away stuff like that.

People's stupidity. It sickens me to even think there are people who throw away stuff like that.

For a lot of people, its just a 50 year old amp that has been sitting in the basement for the past 40 years taking up space, along with the black and white TV. The average person wouldn't have a clue that a 55 tweed was something other than "grandpa's old amp that doesn't work anymore". I actually had someone the other day say "You mean they still make tubes?"

Unfortunately, with the internet, the places where you used to find these gems (pawn shops, thrift stores, Goodwill) have gotten wise. Somebody donates an old piece of gear, and somebody looks it up to see if its worth anything. BAM! up goes the price.

Guest HRB853370

For a lot of people, its just a 50 year old amp that has been sitting in the basement for the past 40 years taking up space, along with the black and white TV. The average person wouldn't have a clue that a 55 tweed was something other than "grandpa's old amp that doesn't work anymore". I actually had someone the other day say "You mean they still make tubes?"

Unfortunately, with the internet, the places where you used to find these gems (pawn shops, thrift stores, Goodwill) have gotten wise. Somebody donates an old piece of gear, and somebody looks it up to see if its worth anything. BAM! up goes the price.

Tell me about it! A friend of mine threw his Dual turntable (made in Germany) in the trash, along with all his record albums years ago. His claim was, they dont make records anymore and who the hell would play them on a turntable if they did?

Many are getting wise to it though. I'm seeing a lot of old catalog ordered amps for sale on CL at absurd prices.

Archived