Heritage Owners Club

Buzz and Nut's

602a

Got the new 535 in last week and she has developed a Buzz on the A string baddddd. Weird thing is that's the only string. First does Heritage use "Bone Nut's" or could it just be cut too deep? Inquiring mind needs to know!

Could be the nut, or I suspect the neck might be too flat of back-bowed. And, while it's uncommon, sometimes frets raise up a little and need to be tapped back into their slots.

I took delivery of a 535 a few weeks ago and it had a buzz on the D string. A couple of days after I re-tensioned the strings, the neck had a chance to stabilize and the buzz disappeared. Even so, the D slot was cut deeper than the others and the neck was a bit flat so I took it to my luthier for a set up. He filled and re-cut the slot and adjusted the neck and action . I also had him level and crown the frets. Guitar plays fine and no buzz.

It seems usual for the necks to require adjustment when season's change.

I guess if I have any complaint about Heritage, it is that most of my guitars have had poorly cut nuts. One string is invariably lower than the others and it fees awkward when playing at the first or second fret. Fortunately, it's an easy fix.

BTW -Heritage uses bone nuts.

Where? Everywhere, fret x and above, only two or three frets...? Could be the nut (The groove shouldn't be all that deep; most of the string should appear up and out of the groove), saddle, string, or ,as Bluenote suggests, one fret up, out of the slot.... Is the "A" tuner snug (the key, the retaining nut)?

Frank has built Fenders. He knows this stuff.

As a general rule, a standard piece of paper should just squeeze under the string at the first fret when you hold the string down at the second fret. In other words, when fretting the second fret, a piece of paper should just clear between the first fret and the string. If the paper sticks, the nut is cut too deep or the first fret is too high.

I have to admit to being stymied by a bad string that buzzed up and down the fretboard. I still can't explain why, but it can happen.

I use feeler gauges when cutting the nut , so you would need to check that first at the 1st fret If correct then proceed on down the neck . As Blunote suggested it could be a fret down the neck somewhere that "lifted" . Check out some of John Carruthers YT's for nice setup tips .

Archived