Heritage Owners Club

The Heritage H575 and some new strings....

barrymclark

I finally got some flatwounds for the Heritage H575.

My ears finally got tired of the sounds of the rounds.

MAN! I love it!

It is a set of D'Addario Chrome XL 11's. I was apprehensive about going down to 11's because I so accustomed to the EJ21 12's but the tensions weren't too far off so... I gave it a shot.

It only took me a moment to adjust my playing to how the flats are and I loved it.

Quick runs like Rock Around the Clock are much, much easier. I think the slickness of the strings might be at play there.

Anyways, the pop, punch and mellow awesomeness is truly in the Heritage. Definitely that late 40's to early 50's tone is there.

Once my tailpiece arrives (I traded my Bigsby for it) for the Gretsch, I may throw these on there hear how they are on it too!

i can play certain riffs and phrases better on my flatwound-strung guitars. flats are great for some situations!

Prefer flatwounds or semi rounds (or is that semi flats?) for jazz, but need roundwounds for everything else. Flats sometimes ruin me for roundwounds when I slide my fingers down the strings and can hear the noise, though I adjust with time...

I won't say I am jazz player, but I am trying! I played every tune in my repertoire and it sounded great through the Cube and JC. That is everything from Autumn Leaves to Bill Haley to Ace of Spades to Slayer....and, yes, all played on a clean tone.

Both of my Archtops (575 & GE) have to be strung with flatwounds. And the flatwounds have to be Thomastik George Benson Flats 12-53s.

They are a huge improvement over D'addrio Chrome Flats in my opinion. And the tension is more even string to string.

It is worth giving them a try. They cost more, but if you wipe them down after playing they should last you 6-9months easy.

Both of my Archtops (575 & GE) have to be strung with flatwounds. And the flatwounds have to be Thomastik George Benson Flats 12-53s.

They are a huge improvement over D'addrio Chrome Flats in my opinion. And the tension is more even string to string.

It is worth giving them a try. They cost more, but if you wipe them down after playing they should last you 6-9months easy.

I was actually out looking for TI's. Nobody carries them. :(

I am very happy with the Chrome, though. Happy enough to not look further. Well, the strings are a day old so if I don't like their endurance, I might keep shopping. The tension range on the TI Benson 12's I about the same as the Chromes (11's) I got and both skew to the bass side a little. The Swing strings had a range of 2 lbs with the same skew to the bass.

Also, I like to walk into virtually any store and snag common accessories like strings and picks. I hit every store within reason yesterday and, other than orchestral, no one carried TI.

TI Strings are expensive but very nice. If you don't mind buying online, Just Strings carries them and has a little sale going on:

http://www.juststrings.com/thomastikinfeldelectricguitar.html

I'm also a fan of LaBella strings, also available at Just Strings.

http://www.juststrings.com/labellaelectricguitar.html

Also, for what its worth, most flatwounds last longer if you wipe them down since they don't trap dirt/grease, etc. as much as roundwounds. So find a brand you like and you're good to go!

TI Strings are expensive but very nice. If you don't mind buying online, Just Strings carries them and has a little sale going on:

http://www.juststrings.com/thomastikinfeldelectricguitar.html

I'm also a fan of LaBella strings, also available at Just Strings.

http://www.juststrings.com/labellaelectricguitar.html

Also, for what its worth, most flatwounds last longer if you wipe them down since they don't trap dirt/grease, etc. as much as roundwounds. So find a brand you like and you're good to go!

Don't dispute that they are great strings in the slightest. I just like being able to get my strings and picks really anywhere. Guitars and amps I will do online. haha.

Just Strings.com and StringandBeyond.com, ship and arrive VERY fast usually within 2 days of the order.

I usually go with Strings and Beyond because they have free shipping on orders over $35.

I am not going to tell you what to do, but I found a big difference on tone & lifespan of TIs vs Chromes.

Just Strings.com and StringandBeyond.com, ship and arrive VERY fast usually within 2 days of the order.

I usually go with Strings and Beyond because they have free shipping on orders over $35.

I am not going to tell you what to do, but I found a big difference on tone & lifespan of TIs vs Chromes.

I get you... and I am willing to believe you are right. I just see ordering picks and strings as a hassle.

I will consider ordering some for the Gretsch when the tailpiece comes in. I have to get some strings anyways.

I gotta say though, I am plenty happy with the Chromes.

Archived