Heritage Owners Club

Help with choosing a loop pedal

James535

I'm looking at getting a decent loop pedal. I've been looking into different models and I think something along the lines of the Boss RC20 is what im after etc, but this is where I need the help from you guys!

Just wondering if anyone has any hands on experience with a loop pedal of that ilk? What models you recommend etc.

I have seen the latest model RC30 but from what I have read so far it isn't worth spending the extra money on it over the RC20 for example. Dont know whether that is true or not though as i havent used either.

Any other brands you have used that were particularly good?

My budget is around the £200 ish mark if that helps.

Thanks in advance :)

I used to have a Boss RC20-XL. It did wwwaaayyy more than I ever needed. What exactly are you looking for in your looper pedal?

live use? practice leads over a chord progression? record ideas/snippets for song writting? single layer or multiple layers?

Several pedals are better at one/some aspect(s) vs. others.

Purely band use, so at practices and live. My current band is mainly Post Rock based so a way of building layers and guitar lines etc is really useful (especially as its only me on guitar!).

I have also noticed the Line 6 DL4 is widely used, anybody got experience with those?

Thanks for the reply.

I've owned an RC-2 for years. YES, it has more features than I use. But it's bombproof, works flawlessly, and has room to grow, for my purposes. I've considered the -20, to have more inputs and outputs, but have never bothered to pull the trigger. I'm aware they've now evolved the the -3 and -30. More time capacity and features, which would just mean more I don't use at this point.

From a function, durability standpoint, I can endorse the Boss pedals. I've used no other looper, so can't speak to if they're any better or worse than other choices.

This is best, down and dirty tutorial I've seen. Every guitarist should have a looper, IMHO.

I've owned an RC-2 for years. YES, it has more features than I use. But it's bombproof, works flawlessly, and has room to grow, for my purposes. I've considered the -20, to have more inputs and outputs, but have never bothered to pull the trigger. I'm aware they've now evolved the the -3 and -30. More time capacity and features, which would just mean more I don't use at this point.

From a function, durability standpoint, I can endorse the Boss pedals. I've used no other looper, so can't speak to if they're any better or worse than other choices.

This is best, down and dirty tutorial I've seen. Every guitarist should have a looper, IMHO.

Thanks for the info, I have been looking at the RC2 as well. Good to hear you get on well with it over the years. The single layer may well be all I'd need, I thnk until I get to sit down and use a looper along with my band I won't really know!

I'll have a watch of that video, may answer my questions seeing it being used. Cheers

Just watched the video and read up on the RC2, looks spot on for what I am after. Must have missed it first time I read about it, but up to 11 phrases/layers. I think I'm sold!

Thanks for the info folks, think I'll be keeping my eyes open for a steal on eBay to save a little extra :) RC2 it is!

If you're thinking of using it live, I would avoid the RC2 and the small jamman. you'll want a looper pedal with at least 2 foot switches so you can quickly/easily loop, layer, remove, delete, change loop tracks, etc.

Boss (RC-20, RC-20XL, RC-30), Digitech (JML2), Boomerang, Akai, etc are all good pedals. I would suggest trying them all out before picking one from ebay...

they all do the basic same things, but some have different bells/whistles you may want (like click tracks, tap temp, reverse looping, drum tracks, external storage capacity, looping times, undo options, etc) and some add color or noise your tone more than others.

Well I did some more reading and YouTube searching and I started looking for one of the Boss models (mainly the RC20XL partly from Franke's advice, partly from some of the demo vids I'd watched) and I've ended up getting one from a guy on a classifieds site called Gumtree. Got it for a real nice price so the way I figure, if I don't get on with it I could always sell it on and get my money back. It's in great condition and has all the box and instructions present so I'm looking forward to having a go!

I've had so many ideas for new songs lately, all of which involved layered guitar parts. So short of getting another guitar player! The looper should help us out!

Thanks for the information and thoughts on this, much appreciated!

Which one would you all say is best for laying down a rhythm and practicing leads with? That's all I would need one for..

Which one would you all say is best for laying down a rhythm and practicing leads with? That's all I would need one for..

smuph1,

this is what I typically use my looper for (practing leads). I sold my Boss RC-20xl and am planning on buying the Ditto Looper linked above once it comes out. What I want out of a looper is: 1) 2-3+ min recording, 2) easy to use, and 3) descently cheap.

I don't want all of the other bells and whistles so TC electronics soon to be released pedal fits what I need.

smuph1,

this is what I typically use my looper for (practing leads). I sold my Boss RC-20xl and am planning on buying the Ditto Looper linked above once it comes out. What I want out of a looper is: 1) 2-3+ min recording, 2) easy to use, and 3) descently cheap.

I don't want all of the other bells and whistles so TC electronics soon to be released pedal fits what I need.

Same basic info here. Use my RC-2 for basic progressions so I can practice leads. That Ditto looks perfect. They state repeatedly that it's affordable, but I've seen no pricing info as yet. i'll be keeping my eyes peeled.

Ditto on the Ditto.. :icon_smile: My band doesn't practice enough for me to really nail my leads, so I think that thing would really be kick ass in that department..

smuph1,

finally someone that gets it and is attempting to make it happen.

It would be cool if this caught on in the digital modeling world. Fewer amp models and less fx, better AD/DA converters and things that matter.

Well I got my hands on a used RC20XL, for a really really great price too. It's in great condition, barely looks like it has been used. I had a good play about with it for a few hours and I'm happy to say it does everything I wanted it too, and more. For the price I paid I'm over the moon. I'd imagine once you become accustomed to how it works you can really get some amazing results.

Now to get working one the song ideas I've been thinking about...

Well I got my hands on a used RC20XL, for a really really great price too. It's in great condition, barely looks like it has been used. I had a good play about with it for a few hours and I'm happy to say it does everything I wanted it too, and more. For the price I paid I'm over the moon. I'd imagine once you become accustomed to how it works you can really get some amazing results.

Now to get working one the song ideas I've been thinking about...

awesome to hear, James535. If I remember correctly you can set it to play loops backwards. That was always fun to play around with. make some really crazy sounds.

awesome to hear, James535. If I remember correctly you can set it to play loops backwards. That was always fun to play around with. make some really crazy sounds.

Yeah, I was having a read about that in the manual. Looking forward to having a play with that function, may be quite useful for the type of music we are playing/writing.

Thanks for everyone's input into is, certainly helped my decision. I imagine whichever pedal I'd have chosen from what everyone recommended I would have been happy with.

Archived