Heritage Owners Club

Building the H-O-Lux

H

A little mod to the VR today. I bought an ohm selector switch, the type that fits the Marshall Plexi, to handle the 4/8/16 ohm output transformer. The biggest piece of luck was that the switch fits straight into a pre-cut hole in the chassis intended as an electrical output socket.

null-24.jpg

null-26.jpg

null-27.jpg

These switches are really intended for amp heads, making it easy to quickly match up the head with a cab of a known rating. However, I thought that as I have two 8 ohm speakers in the VR cab I could use this switch to run two in parallel (4 ohm), two in series (16 ohm) or either of the two speakers singly at 8 ohms. They're both rated at 75W so there's no problem handling the 35W or so the VR puts out.

The Ragin' Cajun and the Legend 1058 have pretty different sounds - they work well together but are great by themselves too.

I'd been running the speakers in series at 16 ohm before this and I'm very pleased with the options I have now :) I'm running the speakers in parallel at 4 ohms now; there seems to be a slight difference in tone and a bit of extra volume that I like!

Now I need to read up on switchable speaker wiring...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived