Heritage Owners Club

Building the H-O-Lux

H

So, as I mentioned in a thread late last year, I'm about to start building a new amp. It's a blackface Vibrolux Reverb in a brownface-style cab.

I'm cheating a bit as I'm not making the cab myself this time but it is a custom-built item, courtesy of my friend Jeff McMurray at BandMate USA in WI. Here's a shot of it almost finished:

688A284F-5AD4-4B12-BADE-038A6AE12FF1-862

I sourced the chassis, fibreboards and faceplates from a guy in Thailand. They're excellent quality.

ED8B9055-BF6F-4878-8C56-A2BC904F81F3-194

I've sourced all the resistors, caps, pots, switches, jacks already. They're in a box ready for when the transformers arrive. These will be coming from ClassicTone in Chicago in a month or so, the export version of the PT (230v) having only just been released to production. They'll be followed by the reverb tank. Last things to arrive will be the tubes and speakers as I'm still undecided on these.

As ever, I'll be providing a blow-by-blow, illustrated account of my progress, complete with the H mug on the nice tablecloth ;) Keep an eye on the thread for details.

Wish me luck!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HRB853370
So, as I mentioned in a thread late last year, I'm about to start building a new amp. It's a blackface Vibrolux Reverb in a brownface-style cab.

I'm cheating a bit as I'm not making the cab myself this time but it is a custom-built item, courtesy of my friend Jeff McMurray at BandMate USA in WI. Here's a shot of it almost finished:

688A284F-5AD4-4B12-BADE-038A6AE12FF1-862

I sourced the chassis, fibreboards and faceplates from a guy in Thailand. They're excellent quality.

ED8B9055-BF6F-4878-8C56-A2BC904F81F3-194

I've sourced all the resistors, caps, pots, switches, jacks already. They're in a box ready for when the transformers arrive. These will be coming from ClassicTone in Chicago in a month or so, the export version of the PT (230v) having only just been released to production. They'll be followed by the reverb tank. Last things to arrive will be the tubes and speakers as I'm still undecided on these.

As ever, I'll be providing a blow-by-blow, illustrated account of my progress, complete with the H mug on the nice tablecloth ;) Keep an eye on the thread for details.

Wish me luck!

Good luck! You have the Wisconsin connection going. Can you provide a website for the amp components or amp kit?

Marsh amps, Mojotone, Torres, TAD, Weber, Allen. All of these do kits that are either replicas or very close approximations of the Vibrolux Reverb.

Thinking of building an amp, Slammer?

Guest HRB853370
Marsh amps, Mojotone, Torres, TAD, Weber, Allen. All of these do kits that are either replicas or very close approximations of the Vibrolux Reverb.

Thinking of building an amp, Slammer?

Maybe Howard. My technical prowess is not too good but I do know how to solder. Should I take the plunge?

Thanks for the well wishes everyone :)

@Slammer, by all means go for it - it's a great way to spend some time and you get a great amp at the end of it all! :) I'd suggest starting with a simpler circuit first to get a feel for how it's done, perhaps a Champ or 5E3.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of major things in the post today: the cab and the transformers/reverb driver/choke.

Cab from my friend Jeff McMurray at BandMate USA in WI. Peerless workmanship - this is simply superb!

BEFF91AC-7E64-4956-8309-3520C8AF4AEB-271

3D31F587-CFDA-4872-B332-E8C896B6B3CF-271

D9ABF5A5-4BC9-45F7-8BE4-47AE3DC298F4-271

And the transformers from ClassicTone in Chicago. The PT is HEAVY!!! :)

865952A5-72DE-45B3-8407-AD6CD3F5BEAB-271

Just one more big thing left to acquire: time ;)

This is going to be a pricey amp by the time you pay shipping and VAT. I applaud your fortitude.

Cool looking cab & tranies too.

And worth every shmice, no doubt. I don't doubt that it will be a one of a kind. I look forward to a vicarious build.

I like the brown tolex and wheat grille, resembles my Vibroverb RI very much! Two 10's Howard?

Yes Slammer, two tens: most probably a Jensen Jet Tornado and a Celestion Greenback. I've got a pair of Celestion G10Ks laying around that I'll put in at first though.

• 3 weeks later...

It's all been quiet for a while, hasn't it? :)

I ran into a little issue with the layout/schematic for the AA964 - the docs available on the web all seem to be blurry and indistinct in various places. I work better from the layout, so I went looking for something clearer and more modern. I eventually found the layout for the Weber 6A40, a Super Reverb-style amp. There are a few differences - an additional Middle pot on the vibrato channel being one - but it was pretty easy to mark these out and apply the correct component values where necessary. I ticked off my component list against the 6A40 layout and all looked good :)

First things first, getting a fully-loaded chassis into the amp is be very difficult if the holes for the chassis bolts haven't already been drilled! Drill the holes while the chassis is empty and easy to handle.

4B150955-0C08-45DF-A531-C358F2CAB848-586

Lines up nicely :)

6C46FF2C-2712-4A29-B861-22BE8DFB4983-586

3D702742-3600-47AE-BDDD-B2E6399FEE1B-586

I loaded up the transformers, choke and reverb driver (all from ClassicTone) loosely as I knew I'd have to drill a couple of extra holes.

56EE4637-3356-4B13-BB5A-A597792BCEFE-586

The choke and the OT pre-drilled holes were slightly off so I popped in a couple of new holes.

Archived