Heritage Owners Club

Building the H-O-Lux

H

Although I'm not planning to do the main circuit boards just yet, I had the drill handy and a couple of wire brush bits so I cleaned up all the eyelets.

20F89258-F68B-4916-88E1-B1F320BB0526-586

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally for today, I fitted all the sockets, switches, etc, to the chassis and fitted the pots and bright switches to the brass plate. I'll leave them separate from the chassis for now so they're easier to build up with resistors, etc.

89F0F79E-AE49-4282-8D6C-7B600B9C0E24-586

Next post should include some of the basic build-up of pots with resistors, heater wiring and resistors for the tube sockets and load up of the transformers, choke and reverb driver. I may also install the amber jewel light ;)

That is one formidable task. It appears you're ready. Godspeed man!

Digging the ubiquitous cup of tea, Howard. How very English...! ; )

It's a kind of copyright symbol, Rob ;) Pete (Hfan) loves the tablecloth too :)

That is one formidable task. It appears you're ready. Godspeed man!

I'm a software developer by day and I'm used to analysing large 'systems' and producing multiple linked 'subsystems' with interfaces. No differences here except the physical/virtual nature of the two media: control subsystem - pots/front panel switches; power subsystem - PT/Rectifier/Power tubes; output subsystem... , etc.

Breaking it down into easily manageable chunks with clear connections/interfaces into related subsystems keeps things straightforward. It also helped me to understand (with assistance from various people and books) what is actually happening in the various subsystems and how to change things to produce certain effects.

I'll be honest, the thing that struck most terror into me with the 5E3 project was cutting and working with the wood for the cabinet!

During the day, H is a mild-mannered software man; but, after dark he dons his mask and cape to become Binary Man!

Look, in the sky. It's a bird. It's a plane. No! It's the sweet, classic breakup of another home build project! Yea! It's Binary man!!!

:)

I don't know anybody that is good at both electronics and woodworking. They appear to be mutually exclusive talents. It sure is easy to get drawn in by the amp build.

During the day, H is a mild-mannered software man; but, after dark he dons his mask and cape to become Binary Man!

Look, in the sky. It's a bird. It's a plane. No! It's the sweet, classic breakup of another home build project! Yea! It's Binary man!!!

:)

I don't know anybody that is good at both electronics and woodworking. They appear to be mutually exclusive talents. It sure is easy to get drawn in by the amp build.

+1!

I'm a software developer by day and I'm used to analysing large 'systems' and producing multiple linked 'subsystems' with interfaces. No differences here except the physical/virtual nature of the two media: control subsystem - pots/front panel switches; power subsystem - PT/Rectifier/Power tubes; output subsystem... , etc.

Breaking it down into easily manageable chunks with clear connections/interfaces into related subsystems keeps things straightforward. It also helped me to understand (with assistance from various people and books) what is actually happening in the various subsystems and how to change things to produce certain effects.

I'll be honest, the thing that struck most terror into me with the 5E3 project was cutting and working with the wood for the cabinet!

H, you are a very gifted, left AND right brained guy! Wish you and Brian (KBP810) lived closer. I'd have one each of your fine amps in my stable!

H, you are a very gifted, left AND right brained guy! Wish you and Brian (KBP810) lived closer. I'd have one each of your fine amps in my stable!

Thanks for the compliment - I'm not sure it's deserved: building these things is not difficult. Troubleshooting them is and I have a lot to learn on that side.

I'd love to make amps for a living - I'm pretty sure that with a bit of practice on the woodworking side I'd be able to put together some nice cabs. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to forget that until the kids, all five of them, have left home and I have much more time to devote to it. By that time the last of my demographic might be pushing up the daisies though... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

That's seven hours work: for the first three, my eleven year old boy was helping so it went a little slowly. He did a good job though - I'll make an amp tech of him yet :)

yeah neat to see progress pics...7 hours...are you going to keep a log of how long it takes you to build it?

I lie the "H" coffee cup :D

I wasn't planning to time it but I thought it might be of interest that seven hours flies by with seemingly little done ;)

That's a tea cup - I'm English! ;)

Archived