Heritage Owners Club

NSSMAD

• 2 weeks later...

We are recording a new, more "professional" demo cd of seven songs. The new CD will cease to be a live recording of us and more of a studio feel where as each piece is individually recorded. I laid down five tracks on Sunday and probably fix one and record two more this weekend. However, I brought this amp and I couldn't get a tone I was satisfied with. Really wish I'd brought my Super Sonic with me, but I did bring my iPad. The tracks with Amplitube sounded fantastic, so the new CD will be 100% emulated amp tone. But this also means, all the constant tweaking over the past two weeks as lead me to send this amp back... So now I have an incoming Fender Excelsior to replace it for less than $100 more.

Well, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, Josh, but I honestly don't have any idea what is going to make you happy; I'm pretty sure it won't be the Excelsior (BillM said they lacked the "harmonic complexity" of your modded Blues Junior, for what that's worth), but I hope you have some fun with it. They do look pretty cool, and I know how you are concerned with aesthetics.

This time it was more than just me.... I wanted this amp as a good practice/rehearsal amp. If the band doesn't like it either, it defeats the purpose I had for it. I found I like the ability to adjust any sound or effect directly without the assistance of a computer connection...

I think the Line6 HD500 models sound pretty good. I heard great things about the new Boss gt100. Apparently it's better than the line 6 which is not entirely surprising.

Some of the GT100 models are embedded in the cube line, I am not sure though

DB is never going to find all the things he wants in one or two amps. That's why I think he'd be better off buy components he can mix and match for whatever occasion or purpose he has.

A good amp or two and a multi-effects modeler and he won't need a modeling amp. If he saved up a and bought a good attenuator, he wouldn't need particular amps for home and other amps for gigs.

Then he could just by the best of each that he can afford without so much churn.

Brought the amp out to rehearsals tonight, I thought it sounded great, but the bassist thought it sounded thin or tinny. Not sure why. But the good news is it cut through the mix. It's a keeper for now.... Harp player was a mysterious no show. Singer doesn't care and the drummer never says a thing... No other opinions.

So YOU thought it sounded great, but lost confidence....because of a bass player's idea of tone?! :laughing9:

This time it was more than just me.... I wanted this amp as a good practice/rehearsal amp. If the band doesn't like it either, it defeats the purpose I had for it. I found I like the ability to adjust any sound or effect directly without the assistance of a computer connection...

Hey, I think the Excelsior is a cool amp, and I dig the sound; HOWEVER, please don't tell me you have more control over your sound or effect with a volume knob, a tremelo knob, and a tone, ahem, SWITCH, VS the Mustang's Gain, Volume, Bass/Treble EQ controls, and master volume, in ADDITION to a built in tuner, tap tempo, Delay/Mod/Reverb effects if you want 'em. They are all available without getting into the Fuse software, the software just lets you take it further. If you must have the exact sound of your Super Sonic at rehearsal, I suggest you take your Super Sonic; The Excelsior ain't gonna get there, either. Seriously, Good Luck!

Excelciortop_zps7f5e9612.jpg

MustangIITop_zpsb3922e8e.jpg

You can adjust mid controls or presence, which when going back and fourth from a Strat to a Semi hollow is required. And if you have a stomp box enabled, you cannot turn it off. The amp does too much all at once you can't turn off on the fly. I found myself enjoying a set it and forget it attitude towards amps and just hit a pedal on/off for any additional color I want.

The Bassist did mention the tone, but the drummer is too busy nailing the skins and the singer and harp player focus on hearing themselves. The bassist is our sound guy for the stage and studio works, so his ear is very important. But I took the time to listen to the recordings myself and found that I agreed with him about the tone.

We are recording a new, more "professional" demo cd of seven songs. The new CD will cease to be a live recording of us and more of a studio feel where as each piece is individually recorded. I laid down five tracks on Sunday and probably fix one and record two more this weekend. However, I brought this amp and I couldn't get a tone I was satisfied with. Really wish I'd brought my Super Sonic with me, but I did bring my iPad. The tracks with Amplitube sounded fantastic, so the new CD will be 100% emulated amp tone. But this also means, all the constant tweaking over the past two weeks as lead me to send this amp back... So now I have an incoming Fender Excelsior to replace it for less than $100 more.

Those excelsiors are pretty Sweet Detroit..I really like the tremelo!!

Archived