Heritage Owners Club

NSSMAD

Just in case you thought I obtained some sort of Star Trek Ship named after Alfred E Newman...the title is short for New Solid State Modeling Amp Day!

When I got home this evening, my new (used) Fender Mustang II was sitting in the living room and my wife and son weren't home yet for the Lego Store and dinner. Yippie!

Unpacked it, took it down stairs and away I went.

Of course I had to see how loud it gets, which is always fun and it gets loud! Ran through all the presets with my Epi Dot. It was pretty darn cool. Lots of cool amps and effects I'll never really use in the band. But what catches my attention is the 57 Deluxe, 59 Bassman, and Supersonic amp modeling. I wanted to skip the glory of noodling around for hours and hours and instead get those three amps channels modified to suite my playing. After a good ten minutes or so, I figured out how to remove the effects, dial in the reverb, and save my tone settings. I set up the 57 Deluxe for a classic clean BB King tone, the Bassman for a nice tremolo effected tone, and the supersonic for when I need some real fat biting tones without being too overdriven. I saved everything and hope I can remember what I did so I can adjust it all again with the band.

Tomorrow, I'm going to run through my Stratocaster on the second bank through the same amp models and save them according to what I plan on using them for. Then come Thursday, I'll be walking into rehearsals carrying only a guitar and amp. No effects or heavy gear, just a simple rig.

If you're wondering why I chose the particular amp models to adjust, it's because that's what my Supersonic 60 has on it. I want this amp to sound as close to my live rig as possible. I don't want to use any setting I can't replicate with my live rig...

Congratulations, Fellow Mustanger! :laughing9: They are much more fun and useful than their price tag should allow, even new. Don't forget, you have THREE banks for the same amp; Red, Green, and Amber. Not saying you need all three, but they are there. Built in tuner works well, and can help you avoid even having to bring one of those to practice. I'll be curious as to whether or not you will feel that it "cuts through" the mix like a tube amp; that's the complaint some had about the old Cyber series from Fender. I dig my Mustang III a lot, but it's also heavier and pricier than the II.

I'm sure you know all of this, but don't forget to download the Fuse software free from Fender.com, which will allow you to deep edit your new "amps" even deeper you can from the amp alone. Also, a lot of people post their favorite presets (downloadable) over on the Fender Forum. Certainly a lot of weedly-weedly stuff, but you might find something you like. Rock on!

For about $40 more I could of bought a III.

I found the right USB cable in my stash of cables, so I'll try the fuse eventually. It was your Mustang that got me wanting to take a serious look into the series.

I will take a look over there.

Yep, it is amazing how people evolve and learn when they open their mind......

From the guy that has been defending modelers for years!

You're never a prophet in your own land....

I like to think of it as the solid state amp has evolved more than myself. There are still some things about the amp that just don't sound as "full" to my ear now that I have a full sized tube amp to compare it to.

Eventually, I'd like to hear clips of your fav settings, i.e. the 59, the bassman, just straight tone. When I go to you tube to check it out, everybody always puts that crazy sh*t on it, chorus, etc.

I like to think of it as the solid state amp has evolved more than myself. There are still some things about the amp that just don't sound as "full" to my ear now that I have a full sized tube amp to compare it to.

I'm curious. Is there a line out you could run to your tube amp? If so, it might make for an interesting combination.

How does the Mustang compare to your old Super Champ? I have the XD version and love the features, although the clean channel leaves much to be desired.

I agree here, the old ones didn't do it for me, but they are continually getting better! I put my Superchamp XD next to a real Princeton and was quickly schooled on what a real amp sounds like next to a dig emulation, but the little Superchamp is a nice little grab and go. I use mine for setting up friend's guitars. I also put a G10 Celestion in it as I didn't like the stock speaker.

Congrats on the new amp. I briefly had a Mustang III. My favorite setting was the Champ model. I truly love the small cranked amp sound. Too bad the smaller Mustangs don't have that Champ setting.

Yep, no champ, but the tweed deluxe is cool.

Spent spent some time during lunch modifying my settings a little more. On amps that have bright switches, presence, and mid controls, I had to change. It was rather simple to fix. Now tonight is the real test. Can it survive band rehearsals? We will see....

Brought the amp out to rehearsals tonight, I thought it sounded great, but the bassist thought it sounded thin or tinny. Not sure why. But the good news is it cut through the mix. It's a keeper for now.... Harp player was a mysterious no show. Singer doesn't care and the drummer never says a thing... No other opinions.

Archived