Heritage Owners Club

Quick H535 question

MorrisDavis

It is pretty simple for someone who knows how (most any good guitar tech). The pot itself is cheap, the labor will cost a bit. When you get it replaced you might think about doing all the pots.

(If you don't have some electronics repair background, it is something you should probably not try yourself.)

Short shaft pots - the 535's top is about 5mm thick. I'd go for a CTS logarithmic pot of 500K which will be a good match for what you have there already (unless someone has already done this job and used non-standard values).

It's a pretty fiddly job, I've done it and didn't enjoy doing it much.

If you're taking it to a tech then the advice to switch all the pots at once is something I'd follow. 500K all round, logarithmic pots for volume, linear pots for tone and .022 caps (I'm assuming you have humbuckers). Ask him to wire it 'vintage' - you can google for what effect that has if you don't already know.

If you're doing it yourself, there's a post I wrote around a year ago with pictures that documents one method for this on my own 535.

Short shaft pots - the 535's top is about 5mm thick. I'd go for a CTS logarithmic pot of 500K which will be a good match for what you have there already (unless someone has already done this job and used non-standard values).

It's a pretty fiddly job, I've done it and didn't enjoy doing it much.

If you're taking it to a tech then the advice to switch all the pots at once is something I'd follow. 500K all round, logarithmic pots for volume, linear pots for tone and .022 caps (I'm assuming you have humbuckers). Ask him to wire it 'vintage' - you can google for what effect that has if you don't already know.

If you're doing it yourself, there's a post I wrote around a year ago with pictures that documents one method for this on my own 535.

Perfect. Thanks. (I have 50s wiring on all my Les Pauls).

I had a similar problem and decided just to take it to a tech. I think it cost $45. It's a fiddly job working through the f-holes and you kinda have to remove all of them at the same time (not all out) just loose from their mounting holes since they're all wired together and t a lot of extra play to move any one of them around too much. I remember the tech and I had some wrangling to do since he wanted to use a Gibson pot, and somehow that just didn't seem right to me..

hey Morris, is that you? (lol, inside joke guys.) I "met" him on a local bluejam FB post.. ID'd that almondburst 535 he was playin.. told him about the HOC.. he replied he had joined recently..

complimented him on his fine taste in guitars.

I'm sure you'd all agree

hey Morris, is that you? (lol, inside joke guys.) I "met" him on a local bluejam FB post.. ID'd that almondburst 535 he was playin.. told him about the HOC.. he replied he had joined recently..

complimented him on his fine taste in guitars.

I'm sure you'd all agree

That's me! I'm lurking here, waiting for the perfectly priced firebird.

That's me! I'm lurking here, waiting for the perfectly priced firebird.

That would be at any price you can get it for.

Archived