Heritage Owners Club

Need opinions on Millie sound

goSteelers

Guest HRB853370

I'm not certain of the absolutes in this but my take is this:

Semi-hollow is a hollow body design with an added centre block. Think 535 (or Gibson 335) as opposed to 530 (or Gibson 330).

Semi-solid is a solid body design which has extra wood removed within the rim area for tonal reasons (not just for weight relief). The rim is left intact and the wood cap and back is attached to it. The Millie is made this way. Gibson Les Pauls have lots of holes beneath the maple cap but neither Gibson nor I have the faintest idea why they bother ;)

Feel free to correct this if I'm off.

Makes sense Howard. As far as Gibson's cheescaking, they claim it's for weight relief and nothing to do with tonal reasons.

Except Jol put the stop piece about three feet too far away from the bridge. I think that looks awful on those. With a Bigsby, though, they look OK.

I think the idea was to have the feel the same whether it had a bigsby or not. EIther way, my Newport is my 'desert island' guitar. Love that thing.

Here is my 2008 MIllie NFH (No F Holes). I can attest that it sounds much more like a chambered 150 that it does the semi-hollow Millie (yes, it was a semi-hollow Millie, not semi-solid) to fund this one. Not unhappy with it at all. You can definitely feel the air pushing the top like the semi's do. Just doesn't have anywhere to go. If I had to do a comparison to an H150 I'd have to say it's much more "woody" sounding than the solid body. But not a full semi-sound.

millie2008-fullfront1.jpg

Here's my Prospect, which does! have that wonderful semi sound. My opinion is you wouldn't go wrong with either model.

custom-prospect-fullfront.jpg

I appreciate everyone's opinions here. It helped me do the right thing for now, which was to pass on the Millie. They sound like great guitars, and I might own one some day, but I'm currently looking for more of a semi-hollow sound. I would try out a Prospect if I could get my hands on one, but it's not clear how much more comfortable they would be to play over a 555 -- the dimensions, on paper anyway, are not that much smaller. Thanks again for the input.

Archived