Heritage Owners Club

Need opinions on Millie sound

goSteelers

I'm considering an H155 -- a Millie with no sound holes. What I'm looking for is that semi-hollow tone in something smaller than my H555. My question is, without sound holes, is an H155 going to sound more like an H150 (or a chambered H150), or will it sound closer to an H535/555 ? Will I need to get an Ultra or a DC to get that semi-hollow tone in a Mille?

Opinions and insights appreciated.

any reason why you don't want the sound holes?

Anyway, even without the sound holes, the inside of the millie is much more open than a H150LW. The construction is also different, so it will definitely sound somewhere in between a H150LW and H555 in terms of resonance.

I personally wouldn't want the sound holes, as I play pretty loud on stage, and the soundholes could

make or break the level I could get at before feedback. For a home player I think soundholes would be

nice for a bit more acoustic volume.

I have no problem with sound holes. The Milli I'm looking at just doesn't have them and I'm wondering is that takes away from the "semi-hollow" sound I'm looking for.

My 150 is this big:

Rim thickness - 2”
Body width - 13”
Body length - 17 1/4”
and is comfortable but has no semi-hollow characteristics, of course.
My 555 is this big:
Rim Thickness - 1 1/2”
Body Width - 16”
Body Length - 17 7/8”
And has that great semi-hollow sound, but is somewhat uncomfortable due to its' size. I think it mostly the 3" difference in the width, perhaps combined with how the strap attaches differently.
A Millie is much closer to an H150:
Rim Thickness – 1 3/4”
Body Width – 13 1/4”
Body Length - 17 5/8”
only a quarter inch wider, but does it have that "semi-hollow" sound?
A Prospect is an idea:
Rim Thickness - 1 1/2”
Body Width - 15”
Body Length - 16 3/4”
but much closer to the size of the 555, so would I really be gaining any comfort? I think I can say that the Millie would not be that far from an H150 comfort-wise, but I wouldn't conclude that about a Prospect without having the chance to play one, and my suspicion is that it would be too close to the 555.
So -- the Millie is the right size, but is it the right (semi-hollow) sound, and, does the particular model matter -- does the lack of sound holes on a "standard" Millie take away from that semi-hollow sound (compared to one that has the sound holes), and do Millies sound more like H150s or H535s, in general?

Here is my take:

One major factor is the construction, most millies have a carved maple cap and back which makes them more lively especially when compared to a ply/laminated top sucha s the 535s. They definitely have more ring.

Millies do not have wood or mahogany around the pickups with exception to the actual maple cap which will result in a less dark/heavy sound.

Millies also have a reputation of being able to do rock/blues/jazz very well, if you are talking amplified they are definitely hard to beat in versatility... If you are thinking about sonic qualities when acoustic/unplugged find a f-holes model.

Here is my take:One major factor is the construction, most millies have a carved maple cap and back which makes them more lively especially when compared to a ply/laminated top sucha s the 535s. They definitely have more ring.Millies do not have wood or mahogany around the pickups with exception to the actual maple cap which will result in a less dark/heavy sound.Millies also have a reputation of being able to do rock/blues/jazz very well, if you are talking amplified they are definitely hard to beat in versatility... If you are thinking about sonic qualities when acoustic/unplugged find a f-holes model.

Well put, sir.

Here is my take:

One major factor is the construction, most millies have a carved maple cap and back which makes them more lively especially when compared to a ply/laminated top sucha s the 535s. They definitely have more ring.

Millies do not have wood or mahogany around the pickups with exception to the actual maple cap which will result in a less dark/heavy sound.

Millies also have a reputation of being able to do rock/blues/jazz very well, if you are talking amplified they are definitely hard to beat in versatility... If you are thinking about sonic qualities when acoustic/unplugged find a f-holes model.

The Maestro has spoken.

Guest HRB853370

any reason why you don't want the sound holes?

Anyway, even without the sound holes, the inside of the millie is much more open than a H150LW. The construction is also different, so it will definitely sound somewhere in between a H150LW and H555 in terms of resonance.

The Millie he is considering has NO sound holes!

I have a millie std ultra with HRWs and f-holes and a 535 with HRWs. The H535 is more prone to feedback at high volumes than the millie. I can't remember every having a problem with feed back with the millie, but then I don't play gigs and rarely cramk my amps. The millie has a more more mellow, darker tone. I guess I'd put it between a 535 and an 150 tone-wise.

Everyone says the Millie is an Heritage original design, but I think it's modeled after the LP Florentine. Here's some pics for comparison:

Gibson1.jpg

IMG_2250_1.jpg

Here is my take:

My millie is kind of an odd one. Laminate top and back, and the back is also arched. But it's a H-158 Classic, which seems to be kind of an odd duck.

Everyone says the Millie is an Heritage original design, but I think it's modeled after the LP Florentine. Here's some pics for comparison:

The florentine is more of a hollowed out Les Paul than anything else. I think they are closer to a H150LW than a millennium. Anyone know what the inside looks like?

if you're looking for a similar sound to a 535 I would get a Prospect

I had one, it was killer....535 sound in a Les paul sized package!! very comfortable, light to play.

like a dumbass i sold it though :D

there is a lot of variation with millies...some have carved maple cap/back, some are flat mahogany back with a maple top, some don't have F holes, etc

my personal fave is the Millenium Eagle....maple multi piece neck & carved maple top/back, it really is like a mni-bigbodied jazz guitar. the maple gives it a brightness you don't get in a 535, but it still has that thick hollowbody oomph

I have a Prospect and a 155 Millie. They are as different sounding as a daughter and a son. I am not smart/experienced/good enough at guitar to explain the differences or advantages of one versus the other, but I can say with confidence that the 155 is very much more similar to a 150 than a Prospect or a 535. I attribute the difference to the vibration of the top (but what do I know). They are both wonderful, but I would walk through broken glass to pluck my Prospect from a fire with bare hands while I consider the Millie absolutely replaceable.

Semi-solid = semi-hollow. Right?

I'm not certain of the absolutes in this but my take is this:

Semi-hollow is a hollow body design with an added centre block. Think 535 (or Gibson 335) as opposed to 530 (or Gibson 330).

Semi-solid is a solid body design which has extra wood removed within the rim area for tonal reasons (not just for weight relief). The rim is left intact and the wood cap and back is attached to it. The Millie is made this way. Gibson Les Pauls have lots of holes beneath the maple cap but neither Gibson nor I have the faintest idea why they bother ;)

Feel free to correct this if I'm off.

Archived